Support VWWC

Thread: 01221 Airbag Crash Sensor Driver Side - Implausible Signal

Users Country Flag

01221 Airbag Crash Sensor Driver Side - Implausible Signal

Hi,

Was driving along and suddenly the Airbag Fault warning came up on the dash, after a scan 01221 - Implausible signal was shown, clearing it only causes it to come back. Online suggested the drivers door harness could have failed but there are no signs of any fraying/breaks in the wires. Is it possible the sensor is bad or the wires have broken deeper inside the boot where I can't see them?

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Sounds like it could be a bad sensor; it'll either be the sensor or the wiring harness, but a replacement sensor costs about $100 from the dealer, which is a fair bit less than a new wiring harness. When mine failed I was sure it was the harness, but replacing the sensor fixed it straight away; it should be the easiest place to start. It's a bit of a pain to replace, but easy enough to DIY - I think there's a guide on this forum somewhere.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks, have to take the passenger side door skin off for another job anyway, so might try swapping the sensor. I'm assuming they are the same both sides?

Users Country Flag
    I think they are - not 100% sure, so don't quote me on it! They're riveted to the door, which is a pain; I wrecked the old sensor trying to drill it out, but if you can manage to get both sensors out and intact, this sounds like a plan.

Took the door skin off, and found they aren't riveted on just held by two torx screws. Swapped them over and the fault moved to the passenger side so off to VW tomorrow for a new sensor!

central coast. Lake Macquarie. (Not Port Macquarie.)
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL744 View Post
    Took the door skin off, and found they aren't riveted on just held by two torx screws. Swapped them over and the fault moved to the passenger side so off to VW tomorrow for a new sensor!
    How much did the dealer charge you for new sensor ???

Around $100, and it solved the issue