Support VWWC

Thread: $200 for an hour of vcds

$200 for an hour of vcds

So rang a place was told 50 to plug in and 150 an hour, and roughly takes an hours to check things, am I just stingy or is this robbery since I can buy one for 379

Workshop rates plus admin charge. Not unreasonable.

If you were servicing your car there they’d probably do it for free at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Stenno93 View Post
    So rang a place was told 50 to plug in and 150 an hour, and roughly takes an hours to check things, am I just stingy or is this robbery since I can buy one for 379
    What are you wanting to do on the car?

You can buy a rip off VCDS for under $100 which is what I have now (i used to have a real one but sold it a few years back, cant justify the price now). Unless your car is brand spanking new then the fact that it runs software that is about 18 months old wont be a problem (certainly no problem on my 2015 model car) as you cannot update the software.

** Edited **

Or you can buy either OBDEleven or Carista. OBDEleven can do probably 85% of the full VCDS, whereas Carista is much more basic (hence the cheap price) but is fine if all you want to do is check error codes and make very simple changes to the car.

OBDeleven V2 Pro Pack – Audi, Skoda & Volkswagen Diagnostics – AutoInstruct

Carista OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner and Customiser for Android and iOS – AutoInstruct
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 16-07-2020 at 09:37 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    What are you wanting to do on the car?

You can buy a rip off VCDS for under $100 which is what I have now (i used to have a real one but sold it a few years back, cant justify the price now). Unless your car is brand spanking new then the fact that it runs software that is about 18 months old wont be a problem (certainly no problem on my 2015 model car) and you cannot update the software.

** Edited **

Or you can buy either OBDEleven or Carista. OBDEleven can do probably 85% of the full VCDS, whereas Carista is much more basic (hence the cheap price) but is fine if all you want to do is check error codes and make very simple changes to the car.

OBDeleven V2 Pro Pack – Audi, Skoda & Volkswagen Diagnostics – AutoInstruct

Carista OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner and Customiser for Android and iOS – AutoInstruct
    Hey it just something I like to have i guess would be nice to know all my values and measurements etc
    Last edited by JustCruisn; 02-05-2020 at 02:04 PM.

Hey it just something I like to have i guess would be nice to know all my values and measurements etc
    This cheaper one so It has all the same features as the original I'm keen if so

Users Country Flag
    This cheaper one so It has all the same features as the original I'm keen if so
    Yes it does, its the genuine software but the cable is a fake - therefore the only drawbacks are:

- software cannot be updated (because it will recognise the cable is a fake and corrupt it). For this reason i suggest getting the V18.9 software which isnt that old.
    - wifi must be turned off before you use the cable otherwise it will try to do a software update automatically.

If you remember these two points then its all good. Ive had mine for nearly a year now and used it probably 10 times with no issues.

I know there are other members on here using the same cable too - so im not the only one.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Yes it does, its the genuine software but the cable is a fake - therefore the only drawbacks are:

- software cannot be updated (because it will recognise the cable is a fake and corrupt it). For this reason i suggest getting the V18.9 software which isnt that old.
    - wifi must be turned off before you use the cable otherwise it will try to do a software update automatically.

If you remember these two points then its all good. Ive had mine for nearly a year now and used it probably 10 times with no issues.

I know there are other members on here using the same cable too - so im not the only one.
    Thanks for the info I reckon that'll be the go

Users Country Flag
    Please don't link to sites selling counterfeit cables.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Genuine VCDS is best but its not cheap - around $400 bucks but works and regular updates and you get access to VCDS forum support as well