Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Ceramic pads would u recommended? - 2011 vRS

Users Country Flag

What Ceramic pads would u recommended? - 2011 vRS

i'm planning to have them changed at the 75,000km service coming up in a few weeks. it still has the factory pads.
    I want to reduce the brake dust being generated, hence looking at ceramic pads.

i'm leaning towards Hawk HPS.
    is the EBC stuff any good?
    I've head good reviews about stoptech ceramic pads, but I don't know if they r available here in oz.
    any other recommendations?

and finally, i'm assuming the pads for a mk6 golf gti will fit no probs.
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

Users Country Flag
    What discs do you have? the original euro discs, or aftermarket ones? Slotted DBA's will help make a large difference to stopping, along with pads.

Have heard that QFM A1RM pads are bloody awesome, and well priced too. Brakes Direct - Queensland Friction Materials
    2014 Skoda Ambition Plus 103TSI candy white wagon, 6sp Manual, Tech pack, Panoramic Sunroof, 18's, Colour Maxidot, Comfort BT
    Ordered 07 May 14 (Wk 15), Built Wk 37, Loaded 27/9 (wk 39), Docked 12/11 (wk 46), DELIVERED! 12/12 (end of wk 50 - 7 months + 1 week).

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR27 View Post
    What discs do you have? the original euro discs, or aftermarket ones? Slotted DBA's will help make a large difference to stopping, along with pads.

Have heard that QFM A1RM pads are bloody awesome, and well priced too. Brakes Direct - Queensland Friction Materials
    still factory discs.
    factory pads.

still life left in them.
    a BBK would b tempting, but I can't do that now.
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

Users Country Flag
    Wow your factory discs have lasted this long? Generally euro discs are made of butter due to cold climate performance required. I thought it was a given that ~60K will be disc replacement time.

Look for some slotted discs, and get those QFM pads......BBK will go to the back of your mind! If you're looking at doing it on the cheap, then just a set of pads might be ok. Not sure how much life you will have left in those discs though!
    2014 Skoda Ambition Plus 103TSI candy white wagon, 6sp Manual, Tech pack, Panoramic Sunroof, 18's, Colour Maxidot, Comfort BT
    Ordered 07 May 14 (Wk 15), Built Wk 37, Loaded 27/9 (wk 39), Docked 12/11 (wk 46), DELIVERED! 12/12 (end of wk 50 - 7 months + 1 week).

Users Country Flag
    I'm using A1RM also. they warm up quickly and bite well, even when cold.

IMO the factory brake size is pretty damn good. upgraded pads and rotors will only assist that.

Users Country Flag
    Have heard good things about ATE ceramic pads, might try them when mine are due on the Octy and Golf.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Wow your factory discs have lasted this long? Generally euro discs are made of butter due to cold climate performance required. I thought it was a given that ~60K will be disc replacement time.
    yeah, I too am surprised that they've lasted this long.
    the discs on my last euro car had to be changed at 45,000km!! appalling.

I reckon the DSG has something to do with the brake pads n discs lasting this long. the dsg in drive or sport mode engine brakes very efficiently, reducing the amount of brake pedal I need to apply

so far the QFM seems to b popular. r they ceramic?

Slotted pads will make no difference to braking unless you're cooking your brake pads on the track. Save your money and get better fluids if you're doing track work.

Brakes direct tend to recommend Remsa pads for street driven cars. QFM A1RM are more for track work.

I've used QFM HPXs and remsa pads and have been very happy with the results.

I'm on 100k with my Mk5 GTI. On original front pads and discs and changed my rears at 90k ( with Remsa's) 95% city driving but I read the traffic.

Hoping to get 120k out of the fronts, will depend what they look like at the 105k service. If they won't last 15k I'll get it changed.

The dealer recommended a full brake change @ 75k lol.
    MY07 Red GTI 3 Door

Users Country Flag
    A1RM is ceramic. yes they are a track pad, but they are 0-850degrees and great for both scenarios.

HPX are perfect for street, 0-450degrees (I think) also a great pad.

+1 on better fluid. id recommend something with a dry boiling point of over 300degrees for track work. street only? normal DOT4 is fine.

talking about euro brakes, my wifes 500 needed all 4 corners done at 43k. pads and rotors. wasn't cheap, but thankfully brembo make factory sizes for her model.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Johnbu View Post
    Slotted pads will make no difference to braking unless you're cooking your brake pads on the track. Save your money and get better fluids if you're doing track work.

Brakes direct tend to recommend Remsa pads for street driven cars. QFM A1RM are more for track work.

I've used QFM HPXs and remsa pads and have been very happy with the results.

I'm on 100k with my Mk5 GTI. On original front pads and discs and changed my rears at 90k ( with Remsa's) 95% city driving but I read the traffic.

Hoping to get 120k out of the fronts, will depend what they look like at the 105k service. If they won't last 15k I'll get it changed.

The dealer recommended a full brake change @ 75k lol.
    You can have two types of fade. Fluid fade and pad fade. Slots help vent the gas that builds up between the pad and the disc. Better fluid stops you boiling it from heat. Better to do both (since a change of discs is surely imminent). Really good fluid is also really hygroscopic (absorbs water easily) and goes "off" quickly. I used to use motul RBF660 on my bike when I was tracking it a lot, and it was rooted within 6 months (needed a flush every 6 months). I ended up getting speed bleeders (one way valves on the bleed nipple) so I could do it in 5 mins. Castrol (SRF) make the best brake fluid, but its insanely expensive - $90-100 for 500ml......and needs to be re-bled frequently.

For a street car, i'd recommend better than std, but not crazy expensive race stuff.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast