Support VWWC

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Ceramic pads would u recommended? - 2011 vRS

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

I don't do any track days.
    I might do a couple of spirited drives here in there, but 95% of the time its normal street riving......and 90% of that is driven by my wifey!!

i'm quite happy with the current stopping power/performance.
    the front rotors/discs appear to have only have a 1-2mm lip.
    the rear rotors/discs don't have any lip at all.
    i'll get them checked (for wear) professionally at some point.

so, presuming my rotors/discs still have some years left in them, i'm just focusing on replacing the pads with ones which generates less brake dust.
    I won't b surprised if the pads currently on still have some life left in them.

but i'm sick of cleaning the front wheels - so out with the oem pads
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

Users Country Flag
    +1 for the QFM HPX PADS. had them on my last three cars plus the wifes.way less dust and excellent performance for street duties. i tried the remsa but were way more dusty than the HPX. dont know if they are available for your car but i would definately get them if you can. GSL Rallysport stock them.dont let them talk you into the Remsa.they will tell you the dust factor is the same as the HPX,but trust me it is not.i found out the hard way and had to listen to my wife complain for months till i changed them.
    cheers
    warrick
    2011 3CC 3.6 V6. 19X8 CADWELL RIMS, K & N FILTER, EXHAUST TIPS,DBA SLOTTED FRONT DISCS,ATE CERAMIC FRONT PADS.

Quote Originally Posted by GTR27 View Post
    You can have two types of fade. Fluid fade and pad fade. Slots help vent the gas that builds up between the pad and the disc. Better fluid stops you boiling it from heat. Better to do both (since a change of discs is surely imminent). Really good fluid is also really hygroscopic (absorbs water easily) and goes "off" quickly. I used to use motul RBF660 on my bike when I was tracking it a lot, and it was rooted within 6 months (needed a flush every 6 months). I ended up getting speed bleeders (one way valves on the bleed nipple) so I could do it in 5 mins. Castrol (SRF) make the best brake fluid, but its insanely expensive - $90-100 for 500ml......and needs to be re-bled frequently.

For a street car, i'd recommend better than std, but not crazy expensive race stuff.
    While I don't disagree with you, slotted pads and better than Standard dot 4 will be wasted by 95% of drivers, including the OP.

To the OP, remsa pads are perfect for your needs, equal to OEM performance with much less dust.

The issues is you should machine your disc if you are changing pads types/brands. If you machine it may be undersized. Plus due to the cost of machining, you may as well replace it.

I paid ~$100 for the remsa's and $110 for RDA discs for the front axle (rear pads cheaper and discs more expensive).
    MY07 Red GTI 3 Door

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnbu View Post
    While I don't disagree with you, slotted pads and better than Standard dot 4 will be wasted by 95% of drivers, including the OP.

To the OP, remsa pads are perfect for your needs, equal to OEM performance with much less dust.

The issues is you should machine your disc if you are changing pads types/brands. If you machine it may be undersized. Plus due to the cost of machining, you may as well replace it.

I paid ~$100 for the remsa's and $110 for RDA discs for the front axle (rear pads cheaper and discs more expensive).
    Agreed, but the small cost difference between slotted and std, and the small cost difference between std and better fluid, along with better pads will make a difference those times (the 5%) he is driving spirited. Just aim for pads that have the same cold performance, but better hot performance. Most aftermarket will have that
    2014 Skoda Ambition Plus 103TSI candy white wagon, 6sp Manual, Tech pack, Panoramic Sunroof, 18's, Colour Maxidot, Comfort BT
    Ordered 07 May 14 (Wk 15), Built Wk 37, Loaded 27/9 (wk 39), Docked 12/11 (wk 46), DELIVERED! 12/12 (end of wk 50 - 7 months + 1 week).

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR27 View Post
    Agreed, but the small cost difference between slotted and std, and the small cost difference between std and better fluid, along with better pads will make a difference those times (the 5%) he is driving spirited. Just aim for pads that have the same cold performance, but better hot performance. Most aftermarket will have that
    ^^^ This

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    what r ur thoughts on these - BDRKIT19 - DBA T2 and Remsa Package Suit Golf GTi

Kit Includes:
    • 2 x DBA2806S T2 Slotted Front Rotors (312x25mm)
    • 2 x DBA2807S T2 Slotted Rear Rotors (282x12mm)
    • 1 x 1030.01 650 degree Remsa Front Brake Pads
    • 1 x 1031.00 650 degree Remsa Rear Brake Pads
    • 2 x PBFS-500ML Protex Super Dot 4 Brake Fluid

at $499 for the lot - it seems like a steal!!!
    not to mention free shipping australia wide

Last edited by dArK5HaD0w; 12-08-2014 at 10:45 PM.
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

Users Country Flag
    If they are genuine DBA, then that's pretty good! Maybe ask if they can swap the pads for qfm. But all round that will be a substantial upgrade from stock..... How old is your car? Might be worth seeing what the line condition is like.

Will make a solid difference to stopping performance. Probably cheaper than a set of factory front discs too!
    2014 Skoda Ambition Plus 103TSI candy white wagon, 6sp Manual, Tech pack, Panoramic Sunroof, 18's, Colour Maxidot, Comfort BT
    Ordered 07 May 14 (Wk 15), Built Wk 37, Loaded 27/9 (wk 39), Docked 12/11 (wk 46), DELIVERED! 12/12 (end of wk 50 - 7 months + 1 week).

Users Country Flag
    The genuine brake discs are well priced and if fitted with the ATE Ceramics (no visible dust unlike some other low dust pads), they will easily last +100,000km, when driven under normal driving conditions.

Users Country Flag
    Bang for buck you won't beat that. If you look at Brakes Direct individual prices you are getting rear pads, brake fluid & delivery free and the T2 rotors are cheaper than the std replacement rotor.

I know people that run Remsa pads & think they are great & a lot less ust than OEM but others in this thread disagree so obviously there are different interpretations of "dust free".

You could always ask about substitution of pads - small businesses are often quite flexible.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag

are the ATE Pads available here in Australia? i see ebay has them available ex UK.
    cheers
    warrick
    2011 3CC 3.6 V6. 19X8 CADWELL RIMS, K & N FILTER, EXHAUST TIPS,DBA SLOTTED FRONT DISCS,ATE CERAMIC FRONT PADS.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast