Support VWWC

Thread: Wastegate rattle

Wastegate rattle

Hi all,

Looking for some help if possible!

I have a Mk3 Octavia pre FL (2017) that has quite a metallic rattle at about 1800rpm and at light load. Took it to my independent VAG garage who said the wastegate actuator rod was loose and showed me when it was up on the lift. Took it to Skoda dealership who also confirmed wastegate rattle on a test drive.

They called Skoda Australia and the technical department said it was 'normal' and if it didn't throw any codes then the car is deemed serviceable. Can the rattle get progressively worse and lead to codes or failures?

I've read it is quite common on VWs and Audis and that a clip is sometimes used but the Skoda dealership said they aren't the same engines and not applicable. They also charged me $125 for them to inspect and call Skoda.

Are there technical bulletins relating to this for Skoda vehicles or am I wasting my time and breath?

Any help or info is greatly appreciated!

Users Country Flag
    First I have heard of this on the Gen 3 EA888 engine.

The wastegate rattle was very common on the older engine used in the Mk6 GTI and Octavia Mk2 vRS, and a metal clip was fitted to drastically reduce the metallic noise of the rattle. This is the clip they used on the older engines: 06J145220A - Wastegate Actuator Rod Clip for 2.0 TSI TFSI – VAGPARTS Australia

At the end of the day, all that is required is a similar clip to suit your turbo. I You might be lucky and find this clip will fit (or could be modified to fit), otherwise make something up that will work.

Otherwise, this may fix the issue: AUDI VW GOLF GTI MK7 IS20 RHF5 Turbo Wastegate Rattle Flapper Valve Repair Kit | eBay
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Thanks for the links Lucas.

Yeah I couldn't find much on the Mk3, mainly the older threads about the rattle. Independent garage said the clip may not fit but they will help with a solution if possible.

My concern is that as it is not common on the EA888 engine is it a sign of worse things to come? The dealership were less than helpful with information. The mechanic on the test drive said they have replaced turbos in the past.

Basically hitting a stone wall with Skoda and as the TSB relates to VW/Audi only, currently they are saying it is not applicable.

Users Country Flag
    Crazy idea to have to replace the whole turbo assembly (especially if its working fine apart from the rattle) simply due to a loose wastegate rod. That's a substantial expense.

Some sort of metal shim (which is basically what that clip is) should do the trick to tighten up the slack. Personally I would experiment with it myself before handing over any cash.

I have the same engine/turbo in my Mk7 GTI - I will have a look over the weekend at the wastegate setup and see if I can possibly help you out with a solution.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Might be worth adapting the wastegate actuator?

If this is MK6GTI engine, I'd bend the actuator bracket to take out the slack.

Gavin

Oh I won’t be forking out cash for a new turbo, that’s not my agenda.

More frustrating that they just reply and say it’s normal for it to rattle.

Had the car up on a friends hoist to take a few photos and videos...

Not sure I can post them yet, or I just don’t know how!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by TWskodaRS View Post
    Had the car up on a friends hoist to take a few photos and videos...

Not sure I can post them yet, or I just don’t know how!
    Go down to edit post and click on "Advanced" go down and you will see manage attachments Click on that and follow prompts
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Thanks.

Browser on the phone didn't show those options but sorted now on the computer - cheers.

Can't upload the video though.

There is about 3mm + play in the rod and it pushing on it replicates the sound perfectly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wastegate rattle-img_1474-copy-jpg