Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Washer fluid questions

Washer fluid questions

Hey guys, have a few questions about washer fluid. Tried a search but ended up with more questions than answers, also please excuse any stupid questions. Firstly what is the best stuff to use, have read people use generic brands, plain water, and dealer provided stuff, which one provides the best results. Also where do you fill the water reservoir for the headlights? Do you need special fluid for that too? Last question as i have a wagon what about the rear window? Does that come from the normal front windscreen reservoir?
    Cheers for any replies.

Users Country Flag
    Quick search; Windscreen Cleaner Fluid Additive

All fluid (headlights / windscreen / rear screen) comes from the one reservoir in the engine bay.
    Last edited by ope126; 22-01-2016 at 11:20 PM.
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    Use either of these in a 1:30 ratio with water - Bars Bugs, used it for 40 years and is proven; or pay more and use the VW-Seat-Audi-Skoda stuff which is very good but relatively expensive, third Sunlight dishwashing liquid, one cap, "yes Marge you're soaking in it", your kids will enjoy the bubbles with this one.

Users Country Flag
    The reservoir in the engine bay with a light blue cap provides water for both the front and rear windscreens

Dunno about the Xeon headlights

Most additives work fine (bars bugs is very good) but don't put too much additive, foams up really bad
    2012.1 Skoda Octavia VRS DSG Wagon - Carbonio cold air intake and pipe - HPA Motorsports BBK 355mm rotors 6 pot calipers
    APR Stage II ECU - APR 3" exhaust down pipe & high flow catalyst
    APR/HP Roll bars - Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks
    Supaloy lower control arms - Enkei 18*8 Wheels

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    The reservoir in the engine bay with a light blue cap provides water for both the front and rear windscreens

Dunno about the Xeon headlights

Most additives work fine (bars bugs is very good) but don't put too much additive, foams up really bad
    Headlights use the same bottle.
    You may want to keep things fairly dilute, as the headlights spray is just silly, most of it ends up on the bonnet.

Personally I use the SuperCheap brand, I used bars bugs for a few years but I found the SCA stuff is a lot cheaper and pretty much just as good, but I only get light grime and tend use the spray every drive, which means I have to fill it up every 2 weeks.
    Maybe bars bugs is better for country driving with lots of critters to remove.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Be careful with dishwashing liquids, some have a lot of salt in them. I wouldn't want that going through the washer system or sprayed on my car.
    2014 MY14 Corrida Red Elegance Wagon TDI
    2009 MY10 Race Blue RS Wagon TSI 6 sp. manual. (Gone)
    2011 MY12 Yeti 77 TSI DSG.

Best stuff hands down IMO is the Genuine VW/Skoda fluid from the dealership..about $12 a litre bottle.
    Heavily alcohol based so evaporates quickly off the screen.. NO soapy residue!!... smells lemony fresh too

Users Country Flag
    I use rainx on all my windows & they hava a product to put in washer bottle I find it works well

Bob

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by jettaboy View Post
    Best stuff hands down IMO is the Genuine VW/Skoda fluid from the dealership..about $12 a litre bottle.
    Heavily alcohol based so evaporates quickly off the screen.. NO soapy residue!!... smells lemony fresh too
    I've been using the genuine stuff for years. I have a 5L jerry can I mix it up in and just pour it into both cars when needed. I don't fill it up all that often so haven't found it too expensive. Most of the reason I was using it was for the warranty on the Multivan since they claim if you use the genuine stuff and the lines clog up they will repair it (and they say it wont).

If it was just for the Golf I probably wouldn't be too fussed using something else since the who system is easy enough to get at if it ever clogs up, if you've got lines to the rear maybe it's worth the few extra $$.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

I used to use rain-x on my previous car but I have heard of stories of non-genuine products being clogged within the system. I never had any issues with rain-x and would be happy to use it again, but as my car is from 2010 and has no warranty I think I'll stick with the genuine product. Thanks to all who answered very much appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast