Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VRS VS Levorg

Users Country Flag

That article pretty much sums it up, I sized the Levorg up before purchasing my RS wagon, suspected the same downfalls without actually test driving one. CVT is a deal breaker, if it had a proper 6sp auto box its shortfalls would possibly be worth overlooking. Whenever I mention a CVT gearbox to someone asking for advice on a car, if they don't know what a CVT gearbox is I say "go ahead and buy one, you're not going care". If they DO know what CVT stands for they generally are enough of an enthusiast to know to look somewhere else.
    (just add, manual would be preference but auto is a must for our 'family' car. I don't want to go through that struggle at this stage in my life to teach someone how to drive a manual properly, DSG is best of both I think).
    Last edited by DETROITCANDY; 18-08-2016 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HPRS230 View Post
    A bit of movement on the Active Dampers with in the comments of that review.
    I found the Spec sheet, March 2014. Would like to think the reviewers would have up to date info.
    I'll keep a look out, Fingers crossed the Active Dampers come to Au soon.

"EDIT: Further to this, Matt Brogan advises that the car tested was fitted with an adaptive damper switch. We're making enquiries with Volkswagen/Skoda now."

Reply form Old mate in the comments

"OK, finally we've got to the bottom of it all. The car tested had a Sport mode switch, which was assumed to change the mode for adaptive dampers we understood were fitted, as the spec list indicated.
    The spec list you found on the public domain website was up to date elephino, but the specs we were working from were published by a dedicated media portal - and hadn't been updated by the company operating the site.
    Upshot of it all: No adaptive dampers in this Octavia RS 162TSI...
    Sorry to all for the confusion. "
    Skoda RS 230
    "The Grey Ghost"
    SG-TP-AB RS230 - Timeline

I'm (pleasantly) surprised at the quoted re-sale values, with Skoda holding better value than the Subaru after 3 years. Would've thought it'd be the other way around.
    I believe the Subaru CVT is one of the better CV transmissions around. I do know the CVT in my son's Lancer is dreadful though...
    MY 22 Superb Sportline Wagon. Moon White.
    1985 BMW K100RS in JPS racing livery
    2019 BMW R1250GS Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
    Well, it also depends on whether the buyer wants an Euro or a Japanese car

CVT a deal breaker ... YUCK !
    I'd want to purchase the better car, irrespective of country of origin - Ie the Skoda
    2006 VW Golf GTI Silver Mk5 5dr manual no options (the way nature intended) SOLD
    2012 Skoda Octavis RS wagon, race blue, red stitch interior, DSG SOLD
    2008 Skoda Octavia vRS Wagon (Mk II, pre-FL) 2.0 TFSI 147Kw 6 MT bright yellow SOLD
    Other: 2013 Mercedes B250 Sliver Command Pack panoramic roof

Users Country Flag
    RS is by far the better car and even more so when you look at the cost of them. Interesting to read about the poor suspension control in the Levorg - that was certainly my experience with Subaru, and the Skoda is by far the more composed vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by raraku View Post
    I had a 2013 Subaru GT Premium and got rid of it earlier this year and replaced it with an Octavia RS.

Absolute chalk and cheese between the cars. I was incredibly disappointed in a large number of factors in the Subaru, I had a conventional 5Sp gearbox which was rubbish (would gear up/down randomly through roundabouts), had a significant amount of interior rattles, the best fuel economy I got on it was 13.1/100. The worst was the Subaru service and support (dealership specific I guess).

I've now had my Octavia RS since May and have loved every single km. I know there are 3 years between the cars but if the new Subaru is anything like a recently new one, I know I made the absolute right decision.
    I had a 2014 XV before my Octy - the air conditioning made odd noises, (usually grinding), or wouldn't work some days, or would make the car idle erratically in traffic, electrical gremlins (sat nav was hopeless and would freeze), clunking suspension and the final straw was bubbling clearcoat in multiple spots around the car. All on a car with 6,000km (and some of the issues started within weeks of delivery) and Subaru responded with 'they all do that', or 'we can just keep fixing it'.

Parents also had a Forester of the same vintage (2.5i-S) - had a spot welding issue in the B-pillar and grinding noises on start up - and the auto boot had a mind of it's own. And the CVT, whilst being one of the better CVTs, was still a CVT. They bought a Scout just after I bought my Octavia.
    MY16 Octavia Scout 132TSI Premium - denim blue metallic, Tech pack, electric seats, panoramic roof, auto boot, roof racks, mud flaps and rubber mats

Users Country Flag
    Another article with a big win for the RS vs Levorg: Subaru Levorg GT-S vs Skoda Octavia RS head-to-head comparison review
    2014 Skoda Octavia RS Wagon 162TSI DSG, candy white.

Here's another one, for those interested: Skoda Octavia RS v Subaru Levorg 2.0GT Comparison
    In fact, when I first saw this thread, I thought it was a link to the caradvice article. I'm surprised that there are so many comparisons done between these two cars already.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12