Support VWWC

Thread: VRS Diesel Cam Belt Replacement

Users Country Flag

VRS Diesel Cam Belt Replacement

Anyone have ideas on the cam belt replacement intervals on these cars.

Found a maintenance manual for the Octy III which states 210,000km but for dusty countries (ie Australia) 120,000. but on contacting the dealership they say 105,000 and not cheap.

Anyone had theirs done yet?

I had the 2008 petrol done at the 7yr mark, wasn't at the 105k just yet and it dropped in price over the years and included a water pump. Was around $900-$1000 from memory at the dealer.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    was quoted $2,135.33 and this includes the water pump and two days to complete

Users Country Flag
    105K or 7 years, whichever comes first is the official word from Skoda Australia.

It's roughly a 4-5hr job. Did one last Friday afternoon.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

My 2011 Scout is due about now. The car has done 210,000 k's. I'm unsure of the service history. I bought it at 174,000 k's. I have been assuming that it was done when due the first time. Going on what happened with my wife's Jetta 125 tdi I will also be replacing the auxiliary belt tensioner and belt at the same time. My car takes a long time to warm up so I will also be replacing the thermostat as well. I'm intending on using a Gates timing belt kit that includes the water pump.

Umai Naai would you use aftermarket suppliers for the kit and also the other parts?
    2001 Bora 4 Motion Sport now used by number two son
    2011 Skoda Octavia Scout now with Underground Performance tune
    2010 Jetta 125 tdi dsg for the misses - Impressed
    2006 Polo GTI - Enhanced by some of Gav's magic - Absolutely loving it

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Bora Sport View Post
    My 2011 Scout is due about now. The car has done 210,000 k's. I'm unsure of the service history. I bought it at 174,000 k's. I have been assuming that it was done when due the first time. Going on what happened with my wife's Jetta 125 tdi I will also be replacing the auxiliary belt tensioner and belt at the same time. My car takes a long time to warm up so I will also be replacing the thermostat as well. I'm intending on using a Gates timing belt kit that includes the water pump.

Umai Naai would you use aftermarket suppliers for the kit and also the other parts?
    You can use Gates, you can also use Dayco timing belt kit which is also OEM supplier. The Dayco includes front cam and crank seals.

Users Country Flag

Buy a full kit with all the pulleys.

INA kits are OEM as well, and come as a complete repair set, which includes all the fasteners too, as well as the tensioner stud which is known to fail.

You'll need the locking pins for the cam and injection pump, and the locking tool for the crank.

Make sure you've got Torx bits and multi-spline bits as well.

Also grab a new accessories belt too. They don't tend to last long on the TDI CR motors, compared to everything else.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Buy a full kit with all the pulleys.

INA kits are OEM as well, and come as a complete repair set, which includes all the fasteners too, as well as the tensioner stud which is known to fail.

You'll need the locking pins for the cam and injection pump, and the locking tool for the crank.

Make sure you've got Torx bits and multi-spline bits as well.

Also grab a new accessories belt too. They don't tend to last long on the TDI CR motors, compared to everything else.
    Thank you for your help.
    2001 Bora 4 Motion Sport now used by number two son
    2011 Skoda Octavia Scout now with Underground Performance tune
    2010 Jetta 125 tdi dsg for the misses - Impressed
    2006 Polo GTI - Enhanced by some of Gav's magic - Absolutely loving it

Users Country Flag

I just ordered a Gates timing belt, tensioner and water pump kit for my 2011 Scout from a German company including freight, for 184.64 Euros ($A293 approx.).

autoteileservice24-de on eBay
    Last edited by jackpos; 27-01-2019 at 09:15 PM.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jackpos View Post

I just ordered a Gates timing belt, tensioner and water pump kit for my 2011 Scout from a German company including freight, for 184.64 Euros ($A293 approx.).

autoteileservice24-de on eBay
    Fitting of the kit at an excellent local garage was $717, so total of approx $1,000, which was about $400 less than the Skoda dealer.