Thread: Unibar Installation for LED light bar

Users Country Flag

Unibar Installation for LED light bar

I have had difficulty with getting a light bar professionally installed and was hoping for some input from the forum. I have shopped around so I can get the wiring and light bar install professionally done. I have had no interest from auto electricians and have seen about 4. They all said it would flop around if mounted directly to the plastic bar. Fair enough, not a good look out on the road when travelling on our 3rd world bitumen. Apparently, this is a typical install.

I have looked at the Mystical thread on light installs. Very informative. I thought I would start this thread to be more specific to this type of light. It seems these are becoming more and more popular. There was some mention of using the crash bar to mount the unibar. Drilling was mentioned which I prefer not to do to maintain its integrity. There is another way touched on by the mentioned Mystical thread.

The items I have to install -

- Repco Driving Light Bar. Pretty similar to most others.
    - 20" "lethal slim" LED light bar from 4wd supacentre. Supplied with the harness. Seems to be well made and does both spot and flood.

An aftermarket nudge bar with brackets can be found designed for the Skoda Octavia and Scout. However, it is close to 3-400 euros from Sweden. There is an install guide which shows an exploded view of the attachment. See link:

https://www.qpax.se/catalog/product/.../category/327/

I propose 2 metal brackets around the crash bar that has horizontal metal penetrations to outside of grill that allow the unibar to be bolted onto. This would alleviate any cumulative damage to the plastic bar. The rest will be easy except for the cable through the firewall.

Just to confirm, the auto electricians say the operation should be via the high beam. A cabin switch allows for this to operate or not.

Further investigation is needed to see how these brackets can be made up cost-effectively.

Any suggestions appreciated. Either this is the way to go or someone has a better way? Can the above bar from Sweden be purchased cheaper?

I will be heading to Tassie and will get my bush mechanic brother who is also a stonemason to give it a crack. Will report back early Jan if interested.

Definitely! Interested to see how it goes.
    MY2014 Skoda Octavia Ambition Plus Wagon, DSG, Capuccino, Tech Pack
    MY 2010 Skoda Scout Manual Silver -traded

If you have LED headlights you need special equipment that at the moment is not available in Oz to control the auxiliary lights from the dip switch. I don't know if Bixenons need the same control unit but I suspect not. If you have Bixenon put some 120 watt H1's in the inners and that will wake it up. I did that on my Superb and the lights were awesome.

Users Country Flag
    a guy installed a light bar on his Superb - used the crash bar part.
    might give u some ideas.
    post over in Briskoda here.

Unibar Installation for LED light bar-valo6-png

Unibar Installation for LED light bar-valo9-png
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

Users Country Flag

I put a Supacentre Lethal light bar behind the lower grille on my Mk5 Jetta. I mounted it to the underside of the front bumper reinforcement, by cutting out some of the styrofoam and drilling through to mount it. It sits really nicely under the bumper in the first grille space. I haven't got it adjusted right, but there's a lot more light at night. It just comes on with my high beam. Can't beat it for $50 delivered. I did have my own relay hanging around at home, so I didn't buy a harness.
    Richard
    2007 Black Jetta 103TDI Manual, 18s, body kit + rear spoiler
    2001 Landcruiser FZJ105 Manual - The petrol guzzler!