Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Traffic Sign Recognition - any luck enabling?

Users Country Flag

So i've got my MY17 RS and OBDEleven Pro now, and i got a chance to fiddle with the easy stuff a few weeks ago when i briefly had access to an Android device, but am only now revisiting this. It seems the consensus is that Fusion mode won't work in Aus, and the Sign Detection only mode is understandably limited due to the number of roads without posted limits. What i am wondering though, is if there is a way to enable the speed limits from the Satnav to be displayed on the Maxidot whilst keeping the TSR disabled, as that would be a happy compromise for me.

Users Country Flag
    I ended up turning mine off. The constant warning on the dash was just annoying me, even though it became second-nature to expect it to bong and display.

Annoying thing is - using my OBD11 dongle, when I first enabled it, I ended up with a dashboard error when scanning for faults "missing databus message" and could never find what this meant searching the intarwebz.

And now that I've disabled it all again, that error still shows up when scanning for faults.
    (incidentally, I disabled it in exact reverse-order to enabling it, as this is logically the correct thing to do)

On both occasions (enabled and disabled), when clearing the fault, it INSTANTLY comes back, so it seems it's now a permanent error on my car.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is it coincidence that it only started registering as an error, when I first enabled TSR?
    It doesn't seem to affect anything, and my dashboard seems to show everything it's supposed to, so I'm stumped what the error actually is.

Secondary to this: I was always curious how a "fusion" system would work - if it did indeed work in Australia.
    ie: the camera detects a speed sign... that sign stays displayed on the dash until it detects a different speed sign......
    At what point does the "fusion" work, so that a speed embedded in the satnav takes precedence over the camera-identified speed, or vice-versa?
    Is it a set amount of time? If the camera hasn't "noticed" a change in speed sign after xyz minutes, it will use the satnav speed instead?

I don't understand how fusion could possibly work?

At what point does the car decide "hmmmm, I haven't recognised a speed sign in a while, maybe I've blinked and missed seeing it, I'd better look up a book and choose the speed that's listed there, as being correct"
    Last edited by Spinifex; 03-02-2017 at 08:20 AM. Reason: clarifying de-activation method
    2016 Skoda Octavia 162TSI RS Wagon
    (Race Blue, DSG, Tech pack, Comfort pack, 18" Black pack, panoramic sunroof, auto tailgate)

Previous: 2012 Mazda 6 Diesel // 2001 Subaru Liberty STi // 1991 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo // VK Holden Commodore // Subaru Leone // Mazda RX-808 // Mitsubishi Magna // 1971 Mazda R100 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by adamtmitchell View Post
    What i am wondering though, is if there is a way to enable the speed limits from the Satnav to be displayed on the Maxidot whilst keeping the TSR disabled, as that would be a happy compromise for me.
    I don't think so. It's been asked a number of times and the experts say no one has found a way to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by pjam73 View Post
    I don't think so. It's been asked a number of times and the experts say no one has found a way to do that.
    Great thread! One thing that has really annoyed me with my new Q7 is that it doesn't have TSR! My brother has a new Volvo and its available..

So "Fusion" mode is where the camera uses imaging data and data from the Sat NAV together to present on the Instrument Cluster. If they match, ie driving in a 60 zone and camera has seen 60 then it will show a "60" in the instrument cluster. If you go past a work sign for speed limited to 40 but normally 60, it will show 40 and a 60... Hence, "Road Sign Detection" just has the camera displaying speeds it has seen. With my SatNav, I can actually see the "map" traffic sign speeds on the bottom right hand side.... It would be nice to see both!
    From the SSP document for my new Q7 4M the following provides some more clarity of how TSR works (sorry translated from German):
    "The camera-based traffic sign recognition uses both recognized traffic sign by the front camera for driver assistance systems R242 and information on traffic signs. The navigation data are transmitted as so-called predictive route data and provide information on route ahead sections. Higher priority is given to traffic signs detected by the camera. If the recognition of road signs is inhibited by the front camera, tehn TSR is turned off by the system. This can for example be due to a heavily soiled or frozen windscreen and by leaves on the windshield, which greatly restricts the view of the camera"

As the camera systems and Nav systems share similar information, I believe the "fusion" mode doesn't work as it is policed by the camera which doesn't accept the traffic speed data from the SatNAV as the Australian region is not "allowed". I read on another forum where someone set their SatNav region to the UK and TSR worked in "Fusion" mode. Issue was map data didn't work for obvious reason...

As you can see from this SSP from Feb 2015, specific countries are listed:

The markets in which traffic sign recognition is offered were expanded by the following markets:

• European markets
    • Albania
    • Bosnia Herzegovina
    • Estonia
    • Latvia
    • Lithuania
    • Macedonia
    • Moldova
    • Montenegro
    • Serbia
    • Cyprus

• Markets in North America
    • USA
    • Canada

So for the "fusion" mode to work, we would need new firmware/dataset in the camera that includes Australia!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderboyant View Post
    .....So "Fusion" mode is where the camera uses imaging data and data from the Sat NAV together to present on the Instrument Cluster. If they match, ie driving in a 60 zone and camera has seen 60 then it will show a "60" in the instrument cluster. If you go past a work sign for speed limited to 40 but normally 60, it will show 40 and a 60...
    Ahhh.... this makes more sense.... when I had mine enabled, there were a few instances where I would end up with 2 speed symbols displaying, sometimes also with a third symbol, which I can only assume was something to do with the "end of speed limit" setting that I had enabled as well (but then disabled it, as we generally don't have those signs in Australia).

I think I have a photo of it saved somewhere, will post it up.

But I never knew why my display was suddenly showing two different speed symbols.
    This would make more sense, as when I first fiddled around with enabling it, I tried the different Fusion and non-Fusion modes, to see which ones worked.

There were also occasions when the maxidot would show multiple speed symbols ON TOP of each other, but slightly offset, rather than beside each other - which made it look pretty crap and like there was an error.
    I couldn't pinpoint what triggered these random "on top" displays, which is another reason I ended up disabling the TSR altogether, and now I just rely on my own eyesight to identify speed signs.

..... So for the "fusion" mode to work, we would need new firmware/dataset in the camera that includes Australia!
    Anybody know if this is something Skoda is looking to release? The front-assist camera has been released for quite a while here now, and with the upcoming facelift model, and the success of the Superb flagship, presumably Skoda Australia is looking at releasing an update that would have TSR enabled on upcoming models (and therefore available to those of us who choose to program/enable it ourselves)?

Does anyone in-the-know, actually know?
    2016 Skoda Octavia 162TSI RS Wagon
    (Race Blue, DSG, Tech pack, Comfort pack, 18" Black pack, panoramic sunroof, auto tailgate)

Previous: 2012 Mazda 6 Diesel // 2001 Subaru Liberty STi // 1991 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo // VK Holden Commodore // Subaru Leone // Mazda RX-808 // Mitsubishi Magna // 1971 Mazda R100 Coupe

Users Country Flag
    ROFLMAO, they can't even get map updates right, how would they cope with something technical like reading speed signs correctly.
    2012 MY11 Cappuccino Superb Elegance, TDI. (Gone)
    2014 MY14 Race Blue Octavia Ambition Plus wagon, TSI, Tech Pack. (Wife's)
    2014 MY14 Cappuccino Octavia Elegance hatch, TDI, Sunroof, Tech Pack, Towbar. (Gone)
    2017 MY18 Lava Blue Superb wagon, 162 TSI, Sunroof, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Cream Leather, Towbar (Mine)

Users Country Flag
    I read on another forum where someone set their SatNav region to the UK and TSR worked in "Fusion" mode. Issue was map data didn't work for obvious reason...

So for the "fusion" mode to work, we would need new firmware/dataset in the camera that includes Australia!
    I'm wondering how it worked for the person who tried using the UK region, if the maps are not working/matching Australia, how does it sync with the camera detected signs?

I doubt its a camera firmware but the maps data should include the "information" for use with TSR

Users Country Flag
    as i mentioned in the Golf thread discussion - for fusion mode to "work properly" here in Oz, we need the associated map data - currently missing in the RoW maps.
    so while changing the infotainment region to "UK", which uses ECE maps, might prevent the error "no road signs detected" or something, it will probably just pickup the camera detected signs, and not display any map signs as its not present for oz maps.
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

The funny thing with TSR in the UK is that there are barely any speed signs. One thing I didn't know before driving around there for a month is that most of the time you base the speed on how many lanes, if there are street lights etc. They really don't have the amount we have here. Most areas when they transition seem to hardly bother to tell you that even.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nibose View Post
    I'm wondering how it worked for the person who tried using the UK region, if the maps are not working/matching Australia, how does it sync with the camera detected signs?

I doubt its a camera firmware but the maps data should include the "information" for use with TSR
    As has already been said several times in various threads the maps in Australia are incompatible and do NOT contain the required info

Whether they should or not is another thing over which we have no control.

As for the comment about camera firmware, well the settings are there but dont do anything because like reading a book with blank pages there is nothing for them to read to interpret the non existent data

You can bang on about it forever but it wont change anything
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast