Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Traffic Sign Recognition - any luck enabling?

I stuck my programmers hat on at lunch time and had another think about this and played around with a few more settings mentioned at the very end of the original briskoda thread. I now have speed limit signs showing up in the maxidot and on the satnav screen. But I'm still not sure if the information is coming from the camera or from the satnav data. Given what I've changed I think it may be from the camera ONLY. I need to find some temporary speed limits around here (give me some roadworks !!) to confirm if it's coming from the camera. I did find one short set of roadworks and it seemed to work, but then directly after the roadworks 40 sign was what looked like a standard 40 sign, in which case the 40 might still have been coming from the satnav. I will then go back and narrow down exactly which change got this behaviour and perhaps come up with a better way. Ultimately if it comes down to JUST satnav or JUST camera then I may stick with the satnav - it's amazingly helpful and accurate out of the box.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by pjam73 View Post
    I will then go back and narrow down exactly which change got this behaviour and perhaps come up with a better way.
    Perhaps turn the auto wipers off, then bluetac some paper (or similar) across the lane assist camera/rain sensor and repeat the test drive. That will render the camera unable to do its job.
    Will also be interesting to see what warnings that triggers! (if any)
    2012 Octavia vRS TDI. Darkside big turbo, 3bar tune, other stuff. 200kW/650Nm.
    1990 Mk1 Cabrio. 1.9 IDI w/ 18PSI.
    1985 Mazda T3500 adventuremobile. 1973 Superbug. 1972 Volvo 144 in poo-brown.
    Not including hers...

I have confirmed that the settings I used have activated the front camera's recognition of speed limit signs in Melbourne. It works well in testing over the weekend, but I haven't tried at night.

Most of the time it gets confused by school zone 40 limit signs (including the yellow ones that I think are warning of an upcoming school zone?). Only once did it realise there was a time limit of the school zone - it then shows two symbols, a 60 and a 40 with a time icon underneath.

A second time past the same location just gave a standard 40 sign.

It even detected the 20 zone in the Bunnings car park

I followed the steps in the first post here How to enable Traffic Sign recognition - Skoda Octavia Mk III (2013 onward) - BRISKODA, except I didn't bother with the 'Select channel Display end of speed limit symbol' step because we don't have end of speed limit signs here (not seen one in my 10 years here, but I'm familiar with the UK ones).

If you do that, you still won't get any signs detected. You then need to change Controller A5, Adaptations, Road sign detection fusion mode to 'Road sign detection'. It will then work, but will only use road signs, not a combination of the satnav data and road signs which is how it works in other locations. It must be using GPS to limit where it will detect signs which is annoying.

My car has the 2016/2017 ROW satnav data, and the media system version info screen shows hw 050, sw 0315.

@mysticality, any chance of checking another MY16.5 Octavia RS to see what media system versions there are out there?

Ultimately unless I can find a way to combine with the satnav data I will probably turn it off. With only the sign detection the speed limit info doesn't update until you pass another sign, or the car is switched off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Traffic Sign Recognition - any luck enabling?-img_2827-jpg  

Users Country Flag
    Just checked an MY17 Superb and Octy vRS in the showroom - HW H50 SW 0702.
    Not including hers...

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticality View Post
    Just checked an MY17 Superb and Octy vRS in the showroom - HW H50 SW 0702.
    Thanks. Any ideas what may have changed? My car was built April 2016. Is there any procedure dealer-wise for getting it updated?

Users Country Flag
    I've no idea; the only place you'd ever be able to find a changelog would be a hardcore enthusiasts forum - like this one.
    There may be some way to get the service department to update the radio; but I can't say for sure.
    Not including hers...

Users Country Flag
    I had no idea this was even a thing until i saw this thread, and now i'm really hoping you find a way to make it work well because it would be really handy to have when i pick up my MY17 RS in a couple of weeks. Between this and enabling HBA/rear DRL's i'm quite tempted to buy an OBDEleven (that's what you're using right?).

Quote Originally Posted by adamtmitchell View Post
    i'm quite tempted to buy an OBDEleven (that's what you're using right?).
    Yes, the Pro version purchased from https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/prod...nostic-system/

Users Country Flag
    As someone noted earlier Australian road signs don't necessarily comply with EU standards, so I wouldn't be over reliant on the system if you do enable it.

It will probably work some or even most of the time but you couldn't count on it to always be right. Even with GPS speed mapping there will always be a degree of error because speed limit changes can take some time to get updated, especially on Council controlled roads (i.e. the majority at least in Victoria).

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BluChris View Post
    As someone noted earlier Australian road signs don't necessarily comply with EU standards, so I wouldn't be over reliant on the system if you do enable it.

It will probably work some or even most of the time but you couldn't count on it to always be right. Even with GPS speed mapping there will always be a degree of error because speed limit changes can take some time to get updated, especially on Council controlled roads (i.e. the majority at least in Victoria).
    Certainly, it's not like i would stop paying attention to signs, it just feels like quite often i'll be driving round town and realise i haven't seen a sign in a while and i'm not sure if i'm in a 50 or 60 zone. It would be handy to have some sort of reference point.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast