Thread: Audience to Columbus upgrade in pre-FL MKII RS

Audience to Columbus upgrade in pre-FL MKII RS

Hi All, I know this has probably been asked before, but after searching the forum I couldn't find answers.

I've got a pre-FL MK11 RS manual with the Audience system, and have a chance to get a Columbus (RNS 510) from a FL MK11 very cheap.

Does anyone know if this is a direct plug and play swap?

I've read that the Columbus will need the PIN code, so am I correct in assuming I'd need to get this from the seller? Is it a hassle to get it from Skoda if the seller doesn't have it?

Is there any other coding that needs to be done? As my car is manual it doesn't have the steering wheel controls, so I don't need the unit to sync with those (which I've read can be a hassle).

I've also read there can be a battery drain problem with retrofitting the Columbus in older models. Mine is build date 10/07, so assume that's MY08 if that matters.

I know I'll also need to replace the facia panel, but they're available cheap on ebay.

Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks for any info! Cheers.
    now: 2008 Octavia RS TSI manual sedan, yellow, Stage 1 tune, 185kw.
    before: MY11 RS TSI manual wagon, race blue, sunroof, tint, MDI
    '74 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 - mint
    '70 Alfa Romeo 1750 Berlina - project

Users Country Flag
    Better to buy almost anything else as the 510 is outmoded and any maps if you can find one will cost more than the unit

What iteration is it defined by last digit of model number A to S
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Not sure what model it is, but the attached pic might shed some light. It's a 2012 version. Wasn't looking to upgrade as my RS is getting on in years, it's just that the seller wants very little for it. I've got a map disc from 2011 which although old will at least mean I've got most roads.

Audience to Columbus upgrade in pre-FL MKII RS-309849051_5121037794674977_4425369614610548003_n-jpg
    now: 2008 Octavia RS TSI manual sedan, yellow, Stage 1 tune, 185kw.
    before: MY11 RS TSI manual wagon, race blue, sunroof, tint, MDI
    '74 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 - mint
    '70 Alfa Romeo 1750 Berlina - project

Users Country Flag
    Its a B which is pretty old latest map was V10 and there is a later one floating around but its about $150

2021 VW GPS Navigation Map SERVCICE V10 Australia NZ RNS 510 Maps OEM 7L6051859BD Genuine - Euro Car Performance & Electronics Upgrades

Make sure connectors fit before you buy the unit

PM "Kamold" on here he will know all the answers
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    The pin can be obtained for a small fee from vwcodes.org
    Yes there might be some coding of the unit required for complete operation depending on the options of the donor car compared to yours.
    Can be done with a suitable tool like VCDS/OBD11.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag

Aftermarket head unit to replace a Columbus 510 in a 2012 Skoda Octavia 118TSi

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Better to buy almost anything else as the 510 is outmoded and any maps if you can find one will cost more than the unit
    I might be facing a similar problem, what other head units are available that will fit neatly in the space vacated by a Columbus R510 unit?

I have a 2012 Skoda Octavia 118Tsi and I don't need anything fancy, essential is an AM radio, GPS navigation and which will connect to / display my phone status using the existing Bluetooth and steering wheel buttons in the car as the Columbus does (did) now. Apple Car Play would be useful but not essential. I don't need a CD player or even any music storage capability.

Most aftermarket units I've looked at either have no radio at all or an FM radio only. I know there is the option of playing any AM station through an internet connection but given how much data that uses i'd prefer a built in AM radio.

Any ideas that won't blow the budget?

Users Country Flag

Budget might be blown but best option is mib2std pq

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500