Support VWWC

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Skoda Octavia RS Exhaust Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Alfa6 View Post
    I went to the local exhaust shop yesterday and the guy there said to remove the rear mufflers all together to gain more note. Quoted $220, and said if I didnt like it he would be able to refit the originals. Any body gone this route?
    Mk2 VRS right ?

That's definitely an option, but I would remove the rear muffler first ... Then the second one next to the rear left wheel. Or vice versa ... I wouldn't remove both of them at one time personally .. You may like it with just one muffler removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RS
    R

Users Country Flag
    I went to the local exhaust shop yesterday and the guy there said to remove the rear mufflers all together to gain more note. Quoted $220, and said if I didnt like it he would be able to refit the originals. Any body gone this route?
    I think you will find the car will be very loud and no doubt sound like rubbish with no mufflers at all. Do you really want to do a hack job on a brand new car?
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Wouldnt be a hack job as a new straight through pipe would be welded where the muffler was. If i didnt like the sound then we reinstall the muffler. The resignator on the MK3 is huge and i suspect acts like a muffler as well. Was just looking at this as an option as there dont seem to be many options apart from the APR one?
    2018 Superb Sportline 206 Moon white sedan
    2018 Kodiaq Sportline moon white Diesel ( Wifes car)
    2016 Octavia wagon VRS Race Blue, black & tech pack (Sold 08/19)
    1966 Alfa Romeo Gulia Sprint gt 105

Users Country Flag
    Hey Alfa6,

It would probably open it up a bit, not sure how loud it would be though. But if you are willing to give it a go, be sure to take a video and let me know. They are incredibly quiet, that is for sure. Personally, I would start with the centre resonator first and go from there. It is a common mod on golf's and should give a modest DSG fart on upshifts.
    MY16 Skoda Octavia vRS - Moon White Metallic, 19 Black Pack, Comfort Pack, Tech Pack, Sunroof.

Users Country Flag
    Wouldnt be a hack job as a new straight through pipe would be welded where the muffler was. If i didnt like the sound then we reinstall the muffler. The resignator on the MK3 is huge and i suspect acts like a muffler as well. Was just looking at this as an option as there dont seem to be many options apart from the APR one?
    You can put a flange just before the Y-pipe for both the straight pipe as well as the OEM muffler, either that or a simply band clamp, this way you can easily swap them if needed. The resonator on the mk3 is large indeed, this is to keep drone away at around about 2500rpm due to Skoda/VW DSG programming, it tend to lug the engine (which promotes droning) for achieving the desired economy figure.

i've replaced the resonator on my car with an 18 inch model from Vibrant Performance, driven sedately you can't tell anything has been changed, cruising on the highway is OEM like. Once you plant your foot down it will get louder (still very acceptable) and DSG pop is quite apparent. Idle is deeper than stock and you can really hear it during cold start.

There is drone at 2500rpm at certain throttle position as well as when the engine is being lug, much less than running a straight pipe though (which I have had on the past), it has toned down considerably once the resonator has bed-in but it's still there.

Here's a video I made not long ago, best to use earphone to pick up the lower frequency.
    https://youtu.be/mOpFg3gtJYw

This is the video where I had 18inch glass pack, IMO this is the best for in-cabin noise, drone free, but the packing material burnt out just after six months.
    https://youtu.be/NOuORhYooYk

I say do the muffler delete so we can all learn from your experience

Hope that helps.
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI - SOLD
    2014 Race Blue Octavia RS 162TSI Combi

Check out my leather work ----> http://pedsnro.blogspot.com/

I quite liked the Mk2 RS exhaust had a nice rumble but not annoying or droning. The Mk3 is crazy quiet and I miss the subtle exhaust of our Mk2. Not sure what is best to swap in to bring a little noise back but not cause the droning. Everyone seems to go the delete the resonator route but I reckon that would bring the drone for sure.

Users Country Flag
    Replacing the resonator on mk3 is a viable option to liberate more noise, you just need to make sure you installed something with enough 'meat' in it to dampen the drone. I can tell you that one 18inch resonator with stainless steel pack is not enough to dampen the drone, larger diameter or/and longer model may eliminate the drone. The 230rs model has a smaller resonator and round in shape, it's noticeably louder than the 220rs.

I have to say though the drone I'm experiencing is very situational and is not booming or anything, more like a resonance in the pipe.

One member here has replaced his rear mufflers with Magnaflow muffler, he told me that he noticed some drone as well at 2500rpm, volume wise is still acceptable.
    Last edited by 99Reza; 27-09-2016 at 12:26 PM.
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI - SOLD
    2014 Race Blue Octavia RS 162TSI Combi

Check out my leather work ----> http://pedsnro.blogspot.com/

Hmm that's a thought, wonder if I can snag the 230 resonator somewhere. I can't stand droning, I would rather leave things as they are if I have to choose. Mine is a manual though so different chance of drones as well I guess depending on where I leave the gear. I'm noticing on the Mk3 which has gear shift alerts that it really wants it in a higher gear than I do most of the time, where it would be lugging a lot.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    This is the exhaust i have on my GTI jsut for reference. CTS Turbo MK6 GTI 3" Cat Back Exhaust

It sounds great to me (nice deep bassy sound with no drone and you can still talk with passengers / talk on bluetooth / listen to music without any issues) but it is pretty quiet from inside the car due to the sound deadening the car has. From the outside, the exhaust is actually alot louder (not obnoxious, but definitely louder than how it seems to be from the inside). To be honest, i could probably handle the exhaust being 10-20% louder without it bothering me.
    Would this exhaust fit on a MK3 vRS Wagon?

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910