Thread: Skoda My18 Octavia VRS 245 Wagon Versus VW Golf MY19 GTi Hatch Versus R Wagon

Users Country Flag

Skoda My18 Octavia VRS 245 Wagon Versus VW Golf MY19 GTi Hatch Versus R Wagon

Gday Team Skoda,

We drove a demo 2018 Skoda VRS 245 Wagon in Pure White with 4,700 klms and all options but missed out on the digital dash, a very pleasant experience overall with lots of room but not so much varoom. More space than Golf.
    I was not overly impressed with power. But liked the VRS 245 wagon overall.

Competitive pricing and balance of 5 year warranty ie 4 years warranty left.
    Asking $44,800. It is coming up to a year old in August and has been a long time in sales yard with a Red VRS 245 Wagon for that year in the yard. I am thinking $40k would do it. But for a little more Golf R Grid MY18?

Next was a demo 2019 Golf GTi Hatch in Pure White with 1250 klms and all options plus the digital dash, a very pleasant experience overall with ok interior room but not so much varoom. Boot seemed too small for us.
    New Drive away $47990.

Then drove a demo 2019 Golf R Wagon in Pure White with 40klms and all options plus the digital dash, a different experience overall with same Golf interior room, with more varoom. Wagon boot room better for us. Suspension inR was less compliant compared to GTi. We liked the rush up the freeway ramp.
    New Drive away $57990. Otpions add $$$$$$$

Is the new 2019 R wagon worth $10,000 more than a new 2019 GTi hatch?

Is the new 2019 R wagon worth $17,990 more than a 2018 VRS 245 wagon?

Is the 2018 Skoda VRS 245 Wagon worth $44,800 when for similar $$ there have been Golf R Grid MY18?

The VRS 245 drove much the same as the Golf Gti as they have the same TSI and DSG anyway.

The 2019 Golf R Wagon AWD stands out for performance potential.

Cheers Al

Users Country Flag
    Interesting question.
    I've done the same recently, with my current RS (RS162) wagon, GolfR Grid, Superb 206, and Tiguan 162.

Ultimately, what do you want from the car, and how much are you prepared to spend?

GTi: I would say delete this option. As you've mentioned, there is a price premium, for effectively the same engine/running gear as the RS245, but in a much smaller car.

R: IMO, not worth the price hike, over the RS245. As you've mentioned, smaller car, even though it's the wagon version and has bigger boot space than the GTi. But there is a weight disadvantage in the AWD system, even though this is assisted with the extra performance.
    The extra engine performance in an R (or a Superb206) isn't JUST a bigger IS38 turbo/tune, the internals apparantly are also different/stronger, so that's a plus.

Overall, I personally think you're better off with the RS. Bigger room, all the trinkets, but yes, you miss out on the nice virtual cockpit, but in reality, it has a massive satnav/info screen anyway, for showing your navigation, etc. The digital dash thing is just another thing to go wrong in the future.

BUT - the crowning glory is that ALL 3 options are easily tuneable/upgradeable for pretty little outlay, if that's your intention.
    A simple JB1 or JB4 will bring the RS to a completely different life - but then you're looking at struggling to get the power to the ground. But that's the same situation with the GTi.

The R can also have the JB installed for extra performance, but as you've mentioned, overall, it's almost 50% dearer than the Skoda.. and for what?
    Plenty of people have swapped the Skoda/GTi turbo for the bigger unit from the R, or a hybrid, or simply tuned it properly and a few tweaks to suspension & wheels/tyres, to get almost the same performance and much better handling than an R, considering the weight disadvantage of the AWD. Plus the fact the Haldex units are notorious for failing and being expensive to maintain.

Lots of questions for you mate...... but ultimately, what do you want from your car.

Comfortable, roomy daily cruiser, which can be very cheaply tweaked for better performance and handling = Skoda
    Compact daily cruiser with a digital dash, which can be very cheaply tweaked for better performance & handling + $4000 extra cost = GTi
    Middle-sized balls-out thrash machine, which can also be cheaply tweaked + $18k extra cost + the "R" badge & associated street-cred = R wagon.
    Compact balls-out thrash machine, with no frills, no nice seats, no fancy bits, and no boot space as it's the same as the GTi + similar cost = find a Grid R.

OR - in reality, find a cheap 1yr old Superb 206.
    All the space you could ever want or need.
    Still 4 years warranty.
    SAME engine/turbo/power/AWD running gear as the Golf R.
    SAME upgradeability as all the others.
    ALL the trinkets of the others, except the digital dash I think.
    $$$1000's of savings over than "R" badge on your keyring.
    Last edited by Spinifex; 27-07-2019 at 12:26 PM.
    2016 Skoda Octavia 162TSI RS Wagon
    (Race Blue, DSG, Tech pack, Comfort pack, 18" Black pack, panoramic sunroof, auto tailgate)

Previous: 2012 Mazda 6 Diesel // 2001 Subaru Liberty STi // 1991 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo // VK Holden Commodore // Subaru Leone // Mazda RX-808 // Mitsubishi Magna // 1971 Mazda R100 Coupe

You've probably already made up your mind and bought your car by now, but here is my 2c worth anyway ...

I have an older vRS wagon and also a Golf R wagon. The biggest advantage of the R is when you put your foot down on a wet road, the vRs will spin the front wheels unless I am careful with the throttle, where the R just grips & goes, regardless of the road conditions. That alone was worth the money (to me).

The R is heavier and feels it, which is both good (feels planted) and less good (less responsive, not as lively). The turning circle on the R is not as good, which is a minor nuisance sometimes when parking. Plenty of room in both.

I didn't test drive a Superb, as the Octy is about as big as I'd want to go.

I think all new Golf Rs come with adjustable damping now, in the "Comfort" setting mine is quite good on rough roads, but I usually run in Normal as it gives slightly better body roll control.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post

The R is heavier and feels it, which is both good (feels planted) and less good (less responsive, not as lively)
    This can be attributed to either the extra weight of the AWD system, or more likely, the lag due to the bigger turbo.

The IS38 turbos (Golf R/Superb 206) are noticeably slower to spool for low-down responsiveness, compared with the IS20 on the OctyRS/GTi models. But they DO have a bigger shove and higher power top-end.

With 6 or 7 speed gearboxes now (ie: excellent spread of ratios for almost any situation), I've always preferred the instant low-down torque of smaller turbos for street cars.
    2016 Skoda Octavia 162TSI RS Wagon
    (Race Blue, DSG, Tech pack, Comfort pack, 18" Black pack, panoramic sunroof, auto tailgate)

Previous: 2012 Mazda 6 Diesel // 2001 Subaru Liberty STi // 1991 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo // VK Holden Commodore // Subaru Leone // Mazda RX-808 // Mitsubishi Magna // 1971 Mazda R100 Coupe