Support VWWC

Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Skoda Modifications

Users Country Flag

Shorter gear change in Octy2

I found this, while browsing Octavia forum in CZ.

You can easily shorten the gear stick travel by replacing part of the linkage on top of the gearbox (cost of the Audi S3 part in CZ is equivalent to $40), maybe 1/2 hour to fit no special tool needed.

http://forum.octaviaclub.cz/index.ph...168&#entry3168
    I used Google translate (just for you), not exact but good enough with pictures.

Ask if you find something interesting there and need more accurate translate.
    I found the site realy good.
    Last edited by Transporter; 06-10-2009 at 07:54 PM.

has anyone had any positive results from aftermarket upgrades on the standard halogen globes in the RS?

While I would have liked the xenons, I couldn't justify the $ considering I just need a little bit more light than what the standard globes put out.

I've read a little on Phillips range of globe upgrades, in particular the XTreme (how good does 80% more light and 25m longer beam sound ?!?!) - any suggestions or experiences ?

Quote Originally Posted by Loobie View Post
    I've read a little on Phillips range of globe upgrades, in particular the XTreme (how good does 80% more light and 25m longer beam sound ?!?!) - any suggestions or experiences ?
    I assume that the standard bulbs are H4's.
    I upgraded the H4's in my current car to the Phillips Xtremes when I blew a bulb and the did make a noticeable difference, the light is whiter and definitely illuminates more distance. I also upgraded the bulb in my wife's Ducati to an Xtreme and there was a marked difference there as well.
    Of course the difference will probably be relative to the properties of the reflector and lens so results may vary from vehicle to vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
    I assume that the standard bulbs are H4's.
    I upgraded the H4's in my current car to the Phillips Xtremes when I blew a bulb and the did make a noticeable difference, the light is whiter and definitely illuminates more distance. I also upgraded the bulb in my wife's Ducati to an Xtreme and there was a marked difference there as well.
    Of course the difference will probably be relative to the properties of the reflector and lens so results may vary from vehicle to vehicle.
    Thanks for the advice K1W1 - I think they are H4s. I take your point on the reflector properties/lens but would assume that as long as the filament burns significantly brighter than the standard globes, the end result would be more light. 80% might not be the end result but my very average night vision will undoubtedly benefit from any extra light compared to the normal.

I only got to see them on for an hour at dusk/twilight during a test drive, but the first impression was not overly impressive for light output. The Xtremes are looking like they're on the shopping list.

The pre-FL non-HID Octys have H7 globes in Lo beam, and H1s in Hi beam. I agree that the std halogen Lo beam was a bit less than overwhelming, which is why I ordered mine with factory HIDs - but then Hi beam seemed weak, so I needed to upgrade the globes. I'm not sure if they have changed globes for the FL headlights (I would be surprised if they did).

I've tried many different globes in H4, H1 and H7 fittings in Transporter headlights (H4, H1, H7) and hi-beam for Octy RS pre-FL headlights (I have factory HIDs in Lo beam).

I found the Philips X-treme to be the best of the +XX% globes (but only 25-30% better, not 80% better). The X-treme also seem to last longer for most people than the Osram Nightbreaker (2nd best globes to the X-treme for output IMO). However, I found the Osram 65W H7 "Rallye" globe was a fair bit better than the Xtreme 55W H7 (it has a H9 burner on a H7 base, so quite a lot brighter), so that is the H7 globe I recommend, for H4s and H1s you can't go wrong with the X-tremes.

It is worth shopping around for globes (or bulbs as the rest of the world seems to call them), but sometimes the local auto electrician may have some of the Xtremes for a reasonable price compared with the on-line sellers from the UK and US.
    Last edited by gregozedobe; 06-11-2009 at 12:17 AM.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Has anyone looked at the Narva range of globes?? was looking at the blue Power version - claimed 80% more light, with 20% brighter/white light ( 3750k Kelvin & 2000 lumin). I'll have a look at the Phillips website to compare. But just thought I'd ask to se if people had tried the Narva series??

Anything with a blue filter on the glass is reducing output to get the "whiter" look. Some bump up the temp of the filament to compensate (with more output), but that in turn reduces the longevity of the globe.

But if you like the look of them, buy them and let us know how they go after you've had them for 12 months or so - you can't beat real life experience
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Yes I understand the blue filters simpley change the colour range of the globe, and this one does have some blue filtering, but going off the luminance (how much light is put out) side of things, it is increased compared to standard
    So I'm assuming it's a better quality/perfoming globe.....

On another note, anyone with a diesel RS (the golf GTI motor), have you been reading the diesel folder at all?? There is some interesting talk about how to get the most out of them, with DPF deletes, and doing some mods around the engine bay to keep things cooler, playing with cold air intake set ups.
    Has anyone in here got the Bluefin ECU upgrade?? Or maybe Oetinger reflash etc??
    They had a Dyno day in Sydney last weekend, was a pity some of us Skoda boys couldn't make it and check out how well our car's are performing. My skoda is still being run in, so no chance of putting it on a Dyno yet, but once I have a few more km's on it, i think I'll head down for the next dyno day.

Modifications

I realise we're all going to be too busy (initially) just driving our cars once we get them, and to some it's sacrilegious, but has anyone considered any modifications to their new toy yet. A few that we're considering are:

• Reversing camera - this thread over in Tiguan land looks like a winner for that one.

• Integrated headrest video screens for Jr & #2 when it arrives - does anybody know of a decent place in Sydney that manufactures them?

(OK, I'll be honest... the last one is 'me' considering, not 'us', but she's a tech-lover too so won't mind)

Is anybody else considering, or actually done, any of these?
    Last edited by thejack72; 13-11-2010 at 09:29 AM. Reason: fixing fat fingers...
    2008 VW Golf V - GT Sport TDI
    2010 Skoda Superb Wagon - Elegance TDI

Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast