Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote control key died - what to do?

Remote control key died - what to do?

Does anyone know if the remote control key is covered under the standard vehicle warranty for the car? I had mine die over the weekend. After swapping out the battery for a new one, it still doesn't work. I am now relying on my spare remote key.

Would appreciate your thoughts on what to do if Skoda decide to charge me for a new key.

As a side note, it was the first time since I bought the car in nearly 2 years that I heard the car alarm go off when I had to open the door with the key old-school style as it thought someone was breaking into the car.

Can't see why it wouldn't be, the battery obviously not but the remote itself for sure. Unless they are gonna say you broke it somehow.

Does the little LED glow when you press a button on the remote ?
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    Does the little LED glow when you press a button on the remote ?
    No, the LED doesn't light up. It seems like the remote is unresponsive for some reason, even with a new battery

Users Country Flag
    If its a failure of the unit; it'll be covered.
    Take it into your local Skoda dealer and they'll be able to sort it out for you.
    2012 Octavia vRS TDI. Darkside big turbo, 3bar tune, other stuff. 200kW/650Nm.
    1990 Mk1 Cabrio. 1.9 IDI w/ 18PSI.
    1985 Mazda T3500 adventuremobile. 1973 Superbug. 1972 Volvo 144 in poo-brown.
    Not including hers...

Users Country Flag
    Off topic, but talking about remote keys I was absolutely amazed when I picked up my Octavia RS and found that there were three remotes instead of the two I have always received in 'other' brands

Users Country Flag
    Try this (video) re-syn your key 1st

YouTube

If you still have trouble and warranty definitely worth getting their Road side assist. Otherwise road side from NRMA or Allianz can help as well as they replaced my battery or assisting in resetting the errors.
    Last edited by skodian; 02-11-2017 at 03:00 PM.
    Audi A4 B9(8W) AVANT Quattro 2.0 TFSI
    SOLD - Skoda 2012(MY12) 125 Tdi Superb Wagon, KESSY, Power tailgate, Panoramic Sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by puhleese View Post
    Off topic, but talking about remote keys I was absolutely amazed when I picked up my Octavia RS and found that there were three remotes instead of the two I have always received in 'other' brands
    You're lucky you got 3 keys. I only got 2

Quote Originally Posted by skodian View Post
    Try this (video) re-syn your key 1st

YouTube
    Will keep this in mind. Hopefully the process is similar because I have KESSY so there is no ignition to stick the key in.

Quote Originally Posted by ddizzle View Post
    You're lucky you got 3 keys. I only got 2
    Hmm that is odd, they started doing it with Superbs but haven't heard anyone getting that with an Octavia. There was a reason they did it with Superbs that I can't recall, but not all the keys were the same. One set of my keys was dropped by the sales guy as he went to get it to give them to me on pickup day. It got pretty scratched up so wasn't so impressed...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast