Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Octavia vRS Mk2 Oil Consumption Issues

Users Country Flag

Octavia vRS Mk2 Oil Consumption Issues

I've posted a bit about this on another forum, but figure I'd document it here for others benefit/info, as well as getting some more ideas from the VWW community.

Back story:
    We have a 2012 Octavia VRS (petrol manual) that we bought with ~28,000km in July 2014. Car has been awesome and we love it to bits. It amazes me how much car you get for the $$$s. But... After a few months, the oil light pops on, so we top it up and go on our merry way as the 30,000km service was only a few weeks away. (I'm not a fan of mixing oil types/brands).

After the 30,000km service, we notice the oil light popped on again after around 1 or 2 thousand kms (roughly). Thinking that's a little odd, we topped it up again, and contacted the dealer where it was serviced.

They take it in for a oil consumption test, with the result being 450ml/1000kms.
    The 'official figures' are up to 500ml/1000km.

I wasn't overly happy with this (we would end up replacing the entire oil capacity of the engine between every service) so I contacted Skoda (VW Australia).

VWAU suggest getting the car back to the dealer for some further testing.
    I haven't got a copy of the results as yet, but the dealer said I will get them when the issue is considered 'closed'.

Test 1
    They have now done a compression test - which has come back fine. (I glanced at the results and saw ~200psi written on the page for a few of the cylinders, didn't quite see all the results).

Test 2
    At the recommendation of VWAU they then did a leak down test. This has come back fine (although I didn't see the results).
    EDIT: When we eventually had the work completed, I as told that it actualyl failed the leakdown test on two cylinders.

Next step
    VWAU have now recommended that they measure the bore and piston sizes. This would involve a fair bit of work, so the dealer is confirming with VWAU that they will be picking up the bill. I'm not sure what this will tell them though. I would think that the leakdown test would show any piston/bore interface issues?

The car is booked in for 2 weeks from now for this work... Will keep you updated with outcomes.
    Surprised they haven't looked at the PCV as yet, as recommended by many VW/Skoda people on the web...
    Last edited by Andres; 26-07-2015 at 10:47 AM.
    Skoda Octavia v/RS - 2012 Petrol 6MT

Users Country Flag
    If the piston to bore clearances are within spec, it will usually be you who picks up the bill on that one. So yeah, definitely get clarification on that.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    That's worrying (and surprising) to have the oil light show 1-2k after a service.
    did they actually change the oil at the 30k service?

Users Country Flag
    I had a leaking sump plug on mine from new. It needed a little top up every now and then which, after a while did not seem right. It's been sweet since I got it changed. There were no drips on the driveway. Prob no help to you, but I was thinking the worst, and it turned out to be seal. My bro has the 118, and he needs to top up regularly, and his research reveals that this is "normal". Good luck.
    vRS 2011 Race Blue

Users Country Flag
    I assume the OP means the oil level warning light rather than the oil pressure light
    This is entirely common on the TFSI/TSI engines and it always seems to be number 3 which is worst
    I've seen other posts where people have claimed it's a ring tolerance issue
    Mine has been burning ~1L of oil every ~3,000km for 2.5 years
    It does not give me any problems other than having to carry oil with me
    and the oil level warning light has an annoying habit of coming on at inconvenient times,
    when you're in a hurry or when you're all dressed up and don't want to open the bonnet and mess with oil.
    2012.1 Skoda Octavia VRS DSG Wagon - Carbonio cold air intake and pipe - HPA Motorsports BBK 355mm rotors 6 pot calipers
    APR Stage II ECU - APR 3" exhaust down pipe & high flow catalyst
    APR/HP Roll bars - Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks
    Supaloy lower control arms - Enkei 18*8 Wheels

If this helps ... I have topped up 250ml since the service which was done in January (yes I checked the oil level after the service).

Car has done appxox 10,000 kms in that time. Not massive oil usage but I am not used to cars burning up oil like this, so I do tend to keep a close eye on the dipstick .. probably once a month.
    RS
    R

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
    If this helps ... I have topped up 250ml since the service which was done in January (yes I checked the oil level after the service).

Car has done appxox 10,000 kms in that time. Not massive oil usage but I am not used to cars burning up oil like this, so I do tend to keep a close eye on the dipstick .. probably once a month.
    Hi Tuan,

Did you drive your car hard or did you take it easy while running in the car?

Sorry if this is out of topic.

We got it 2nd hand ..
    RS
    R

Users Country Flag
    Have a MkII Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG 2009 from new it has 105,000 km and it chews through heaps of oil! Seems to be a characteristic of this motor. I was worried about for a while but it doesn't blow smoke, and there are no oil leaks, I just keep topping up.

Users Country Flag

My 1.8tsi is as tight as a fishy's bum. Uses maybe 200ml between 7500km service intervals.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast