Thread: Octavia Tyres

Users Country Flag

Octavia Tyres

Hey all,

I was disappointed to see my new Octavia with 18’s may have Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres.

I had these on a Mazda 3 and they weren’t very confidence inspiring and not to mention noisy as anything I’ve ever ridden on, granted Mazda’s are known for terrible road noise intrusions.

Does anyone have Dunlop sport Maxx tyres and are they any better on a Skoda?

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    The reports on Sport Maxx, on this forum and the UK Briskoda forum, are often so much at variance that I can only conclude that their quality control is suspect and so you may get either an excellent pair or only average.
    My own experience 7 years ago is that they were fitted to my original Mk2 on 15 inch alloys and initially I thought they were really good, but I had to change them at only 20k km due to the terrible noise they developed.
    Not the tyres fault as the car came from the factory with misaligned suspension. Yokohamas then fitted were ok but never had the feel of the original SportMaxx.
    Four years ago I bought our current Mk3 Ambition 1.4tsi wagon with 17 inch SportsMaxx fitted and I was a bit nervous how they would go, but they lasted the 4 years and 45k km and I had no complaints about noise, ride or handling and I thought they had exceptionally low rolling resistance.
    I did get a lot of punctures (all repaired) but all screws and nails from the constant local urban renewal (knock down one house and build 2/3/4 town houses on the plot) and for some reason found best results from increasingly higher ( to 38psi) pressures as the tyres aged.
    I remember one Briskoda report where one UK road warrior complained about how poor his SportMaxx were but he was determined to wear them out but gave up at 90k MILES with tread still left.
    As a side note on one occasion I was forced to drive a few hundred km late at night on my space saver 16inch steel Nexen shod spare and the noise that one tyre generated was absolutely awful and I was thankful to put the Dunlop back on.

I replaced the worn Dunlop on the Mk3 with Michelin Premacy and after settling in they are thankfully equally quiet as the Dunlop were and provide good ride and handling, but not sure they match the Dunlop low rolling resistance.
    The only reason I did not buy Dunlop again was the higher price and my lack of confidence in their quality control.

So in short Octavia are very sensitive to the tyre fitted, especially regarding noise, and you will have to suck it and see whether yours are good or not.

I'll just add that where Pirelli or Continental are fitted as OEM then they have had quite a few noise complaints.
    Michelin PS4 or Goodyear F1 get consistently good reviews here.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    90k Miles, Jeez!! good effort.

Thanks for the insight, definitely helpful.

I suppose i'll just have to wait and see... Coming up for handover in the middle of August, car docks next week at Port Kembla!
    I Sell Nissans Skodas.
    IT'S HEREEEEE 18' Skoda Octavia 110tsi Manual Hatch | Race Blue | Tech Pack | Luxury Pack | Panoramic Roof | Turini Alloys | Various VCDS Tweaks | RS Spoiler | Mars Bar Holder
    R.I.P; 13' VW Polo 77tsi Comfortline Manual | Candy White | Sport Pack | Pioneer AVH X3800DAB + Clarion Bass Pack

Users Country Flag
    First thing i'd do is get the alignment checked and set to conservative settings. Minimal camber and minimum toe.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

I don't like those tyres at all.
    We had them on the Polo GTI and they were noisy and hard.
    Change them out for a set of Michelin pilot super sport, or even bridgestone RE003
    2018 Ralyee Green RS wagon. Fully optioned.
    Previous vehicles:2015 Volvo V60 Polestar (my one detour from VW/Skoda!)
    2013 Platin grey RS wagon / 2012 White Polo GTI / 2009 Black 125 Tiguan