Support VWWC

Thread: Octavia Scout fuel consumption

Octavia Scout fuel consumption

Hello

I'm a bit concerned about my fuel consumption and wondered (a) whether it's normal and (b) whether I can improve it.

My 2015 Octavia 1.4TSI 7 speed DSG liftback got 5.5 l/100km on the highway and 6.5 combined.

My 2015 Octavia Scout 1.8TSI 6 speed DSG/4x4 struggles to get near 7l/100km on the highway and is upwards of 10 combined.

I get that there are some significant differences between these cars but that just seems too big a jump and is way more than the official figures. I've only had the Scout a week; could there be something wrong or is that sort of consumption normal?

Apart from the obvious concern about fuel bills the Scout only has a 55l tank and so high consumption will limit my range somewhat.

Cheers,

Murray

Users Country Flag
    Something doesn't sound right with ur Scout.

I have a Superb 162 TSi (2L turbo) - I average approx. 6.5 on the freeways and my combined is 8.
    I drive it hard, and I've got 19" wheels.

Users Country Flag
    Your Scout 1.8TSI is nearly 400kg heavier than your Octavia 1.4TSI (377kg heavier according to Google) as you are dragging around an AWD system which isn't doing anything 95% of the time, a heavier gearbox, heavier engine, bigger wheels, tyres and brakes etc etc.

Your fuel consumption is never going to be as good as the Octavia 1.4TSI.

Once you are moving then your consumption to keep the car moving would be not much more, but its all the stopping and starting where you will see the difference, as each time you take off you have nearly 400kg of extra weight to get moving and a larger engine doing the work.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

According to Redbook the liftback was 1266kg and the Scout is 1557kg so about 300 kg more, but yes that's fairly significant. And it's a bit higher and as a wagon probably less aerodynamic. Also 6 speed rather than 7.

On the other hand in the liftback my real-world return was 6.5, compared to a claimed 5.2 while in the Scout it's 10.5 versus a claimed 7.1, a vastly bigger difference percentage-wise. Also a guy I talked to when shopping for the Scout reckoned he got ~7.5 combined with his Scout. So anyway, it was enough to make me wonder.

As it happens I've just has a stage 1 ECU tune. Maybe that'll make economy mode driveable and give me something. As I said it's the restricted range I'm most concerned about.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayKhodd View Post
    As it happens I've just has a stage 1 ECU tune. Maybe that'll make economy mode driveable and give me something. As I said it's the restricted range I'm most concerned about.
    You will likely find that you will be around 1L per 100km better off after a stage 1 tune - that's been my experience anyway. The nice bump in torque makes it that much easier for the car to move that weight around so it doesn't use as much fuel in doing so.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler