Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Octavia Battery replacement getting close

Users Country Flag

Octavia Battery replacement getting close

With the advent of colder weather my near 6 year old Octavia 1.4tsi is not starting with quite the same verve it has shown previously.

A multimeter check shows a 13.3 volt constant display and it dips to 9 volts on a cold start which a google search suggests is a bit low although the visual indicator on the battery is registering as still good.

The battery is the original fitted Varta 5KO 915 105 D (280 amp DIN /480A SAE) but this has since been superceded.
    There seem to be slightly more capacity alternatives around $200 to $250 price from Repco/Supercheap.

I thought the recent low use from Covid lockdown may have allowed the battery to run low but my ancient charger did not put much in at all.

My car does not have stop/start and as far as I can tell the Varta unit is bog standard and not an EFM or AGM unit so I presume that if the battery is replaced then the car's system does not have to be updated as it would if the higher spec batteries were fitted?

Users Country Flag
    There are 3x options here in good, better & best format: Skoda Octavia 2014-2017 Petrol 1.4L - Buy from Every Battery Online Store

Personally I wouldn't go with the cheapest model, and would only consider the Century or the Varta. The 2x cheaper ones have a 24 month warranty, and the Varta has a 38 month warranty - so perhaps just for the warranty alone the Varta is the one to get. The Varta also has 100 odd CCA's more than the other two as well.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    And this one has both a very good warranty of 42 months, well priced and 750 CCA's: EXIDE EXTREME XDIN66HMF 750CCA CAR BATTERY - Batteries Plus
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks, I had not considered buying online because I was a bit concerned whether a non AGM battery was robust enough for freight delivery and the probable freight cost.

However the Exide battery at $198 is remarkably well priced and transport cost is only $10. I'm not sure how they manage that for a 20 kg 'dangerous goods item to be quite honest.

I'll probably get a Century battery locally seeing as how they are Australian made and all that jingoistic stuff. It will probably outlive the car's remaining term with us anyway,

The wife says the car starts fine and I'm being paranoid lol.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrycan View Post
    Thanks, I had not considered buying online because I was a bit concerned whether a non AGM battery was robust enough for freight delivery and the probable freight cost.

However the Exide battery at $198 is remarkably well priced and transport cost is only $10. I'm not sure how they manage that for a 20 kg 'dangerous goods item to be quite honest.

I'll probably get a Century battery locally seeing as how they are Australian made and all that jingoistic stuff. It will probably outlive the car's remaining term with us anyway,

Id say its just a flat postage rate they charge regardless of what product you buy, and they win on some and lose on others. But yes it does sound awfully cheap to post such a heavy and bulky/awkward item.

Good on you for supporting Aussie made, I do my best to do this with many items also.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrycan View Post

It could be that the battery will be shipped to you from their closest stockist.

Hopefully you’re buying a battery that’s made in Australia, not China as they might have the factory there.

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    It could be that the battery will be shipped to you from their closest stockist.

Hopefully you’re buying a battery that’s made in Australia, not China as they might have the factory there.
    I think you are probably right about the source and that would explain the price.

The story concludes with the car going in for its service with the original battery. They tested the battery and reported that there were now only 80 of the original 260 Cold cranking amps left.

As planned the replacement was a locally sourced (Autobarn @ $239) and Australian made Centurion battery.
    Physically larger and greater capacity than the original but fitted in ok although the original battery cover does not fit it.

The Exide battery in the above discussion was made in the Philippines as are most cheaper own brand batteries from the auto chainstores.

Users Country Flag
    6 years is very good duration for a car battery

The only good thing about Exide is the price, I have several friends who persist buying Exide batteries despite previous experiences of poor service life

Century batteries are generally well made have good specifications

Euro batteries are generally over priced
    2012.1 Skoda Octavia VRS DSG Wagon - Carbonio cold air intake and pipe - HPA Motorsports BBK 355mm rotors 6 pot calipers
    APR Stage II ECU - APR 3" exhaust down pipe & high flow catalyst
    APR/HP Roll bars - Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks
    Supaloy lower control arms - Enkei 18*8 Wheels

My Octavia is the same age as yours.Went for a D15 Varta from Every battery at Merrylands.Easy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast