Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New brakes and tires - RS162

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WDF View Post
    Is there any harm other than harsher ride in always running max pressure on OEM 18's even when car not fully loaded ie.
    240 - 250kpa front
    320 - 330kpa rear
    There's no harm in it but I'd add more up front - that's where all the weight is unless you carry passengers and "stuff" all the time.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

I had the 3 year service done on my car last week. Needs front brakes - the rears were fine. Keen on the ATE ceramic pads but Skoda only fits OEM pads. So I have booked in to have the brakes done at local NRMA workshop. They’ll also be fitting DBA discs, as they can’t source the ATE coated discs. They assure me that it fine to fit non ATE discs and I contacted ATE who confirmed the same. Keen to hear views from anyone else that may have been in similar situation i.e. ATE ceramic pads matched to non-ATE discs.
    Skoda Octavia RS Hatch DSG MY16
    Silver, Black/Tech/Comfort packs

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by manamp27 View Post
    I had the 3 year service done on my car last week. Needs front brakes - the rears were fine. Keen on the ATE ceramic pads but Skoda only fits OEM pads. So I have booked in to have the brakes done at local NRMA workshop. They’ll also be fitting DBA discs, as they can’t source the ATE coated discs. They assure me that it fine to fit non ATE discs and I contacted ATE who confirmed the same. Keen to hear views from anyone else that may have been in similar situation i.e. ATE ceramic pads matched to non-ATE discs.
    I doubt you'll have issues but ATE offer a bonus 3 year / 50k warranty if you use the ATE pads and rotors. What did HSY say about the (lack of) stock situation?

Have you had a look at your pads to see how much is left? From experience, most places are quite conservative when it comes to estimating how much life is left. Did they tell you how many mm of friction material was left?

What's NRMA's hourly rate?
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Thanks for the reply. ATE said it is fine to use non-ATE discs. NRMA was unable to source the ATE branded discs because their supplier doesn’t list them. The pads have 3mm of material left and have been on the car for 40k kms.dont know the hourly rate, but they are charging $200 in labour.

Users Country Flag
    I used non ate discs with my car zimmermans were the ones i used no issues at all after 25k of driving any quality brand will do the job

Loving the shiny wheels

Just remember they have a 500 kilometer run in as they are very hard pads but once run in are fantastic
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

Good to know about the run-in period. Thanks Kachingg.

Users Country Flag

Kachingg,
    Could you pls advise cost and where you purchased Zimmerman discs from? PM is fine.
    Cheers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123