Thread: Mixing fuel RON

Users Country Flag

Mixing fuel RON

G'day all, I'm not very technical but have learned a lot on these pages previously. Slightly unusual question. Is it true that mixing 91 RON and 98 RON in a roughly 40/60 ratio effectively gives you 95, which is the minimum for our Vrs? Or is it more like 91 and higher octane fuels just have different ingredients and this is inadvisable? Or would it be Ok in small amounts?

E.g. my wife is going to work early in the morning and is down to the 5km warning with I guess a couple of litres of 98 in reserve. I have some 91 on hand and could put in a litre and have the drink I deserve tonight so she can get to the servo after work.

Or I could be a good boy and go to fill up with 98...

Any thoughts? All responsibility mine. Wouldn't make a habit of it either way...

Users Country Flag
    A sensible person would fill it up the night before . Never let get mine below 1/4 ever. It wont hurt it if you fill it very shortly after using the combo but it wont do it any good either.. Why let it get so low??????
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag

A few litres of 91 octane will be perfectly fine - much better than running out of fuel anyway.

Just fill up tomorrow with 95 or 98.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler