Support VWWC

Thread: Lowered Springs, stock shocks - MY18 Octavia ambition Combi

Users Country Flag

Lowered Springs, stock shocks - MY18 Octavia ambition Combi

Hi All

I have an MY18 Octavia ambition combi that i want to lower.

For those who have done it, how does the stock set up work with lowered springs? Its a daily commuter, lots of Kays. I get the ride changes. But im more concerned with breaking something, or needing bush changes or something else that id have no idea about.

I saw the line somewhere else on the page - experience beats a sales pitch. I love it and i think a good community gives the best experience.

Thanks for your help.

Users Country Flag
    Most of the worthwhile spring manufacturers (H&R, Eibach, Vogtland etc) make their springs to suit the original struts - so as long as you only do a moderate drop in ride height (eg 20-30mm) then the stock struts should last a decent amount of time. In some cases you may need to trim a few centimeters down off the bump stops.

I had 20mm lowered H&R springs in my Mk6 Golf R with stock struts and it was fine. I had 30mm lowered springs in my Mk6 Golf GTI and it was fine, but I ended up replacing the struts with Koni's as the suspension was about 6 years old. It rode a bit better on the Koni's but not a huge difference. I now have a Mk7 GTI and have just purchased some 034 Motorsports springs (about a 25mm drop) which I will install in the next week or so on the factory struts (this car has the adjustable shocks (DCC)).
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    yeah, thats all id be going for. 20-30mm. Thats really good information. Thanks. its amazing how only 20mm can make such a difference to the look of the car. The bump stops is a good point too. Are they easy enough to install yourself at home?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by VolSig View Post
    Are they easy enough to install yourself at home?
    Euro cars are more difficult that say a Japanese car in almost every aspect when working on them yourself, but yes it can be done if you know what you are doing and have some basic tools such as:

- spring compressors
    - a spindle spread tool to release the strut from the hub assembly (they are a press fit and not bolted on like Japanese cars are) Schwaben Tools Spindle Housing Spreader – AutoInstruct
    - some Torx and triple squares as with some cars you need to loosed the front axle's to get the struts out.
    - an assortment of sockets to get the strut tops off (cant remember what size the top nut is).
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    I fitted Eibachs to my Octy at 95,000km. That was 75% driving on the M5. By 105k I'd fitted a set of Koni Sports because the ride had become "jiggly" on low speed oscillations. The low speed ride was transformed. Now at 195k and they are still wonderful.

I would look at the Bilstein/Eibach kits as they were really cheap last year from a german supplier on ebay.

Here's another thought on filling the wheel arches.
    Your speedometer is probably around 10% "wrong" if you have 205/55r16 and 6% wrong if you have 225/45r17 tyres. (I've had 5 sets of rims/tyres on mine and 225/55r16 made the speed 1% wrong and filled the wheel arches very nicely. 235/45r17s weren't bad but could have been better (4% wrong) and 225/50r17 made the speedo dead accurate, looked great but rubbed on the guard liners with the lowered springs. At standard ride height they would have been fantastic and looked great.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Other stuff:
    The strut spreaders are $13 posted on AliExpress.

There are a few one-time-use fasteners. I re-used mine but others may not have this cavalier attitude.

You need to ascertain if you have 50mm or 55mm struts.

You need a triple square socket set and something to undo the axle nut.

Depending on KMs the strut tops may need replacement

the bump stops can be cut with a knife.

depending on age the protective bellows may be stuffed.
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    you could try a set of factory vrs springs... should be a few sets floating around the skodamodderz fb page
    Polo GTI
    T-Roc R
    Tiguan R

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by VR28LT View Post
    you could try a set of factory vrs springs... should be a few sets floating around the skodamodderz fb page
    It depends on the engine/gearbox combination.

One of the members here fitted vRS springs to his 1.9 diesel manual and it sat higher at the front