Support VWWC

Thread: Launceston Skoda changed dealers yet again!

Launceston Skoda changed dealers yet again!

The Toyota dealer in Kings Meadows (Launceston, Tasmania) had the Skoda dealership for what, a year or two? I never saw any Skoda branding or cars on display. Just the other day I noticed it's moved to Buckby's right in town in York St (near the Jaguar/Landrover dealership and they had some branding up.
    2008 Skoda Octavia Elegance TDI 4x4 wagon
    Bluefin 132Kw/385Nm, Racechips Response Control, Haldex Performance controller, H&R anti roll bars, Koni FSD shocks, SuperPro control arms & ball joints, subframe & gearshift mods, Full Dynamat interior, Polk Audio sound, Columbus, Bluetooth, MDI, parking sensors, camera. BBS SR 18x8" w/ 225/40xR18. 3M Crystalline tint.

Users Country Flag
    I know Skoda flies a bit under the radar but it sounds like that dealer was taking it to extremes...

Hopefully the new dealer will help the brand profile there.
    Indium Grey Golf 7.5 Alltrack 135tdi Premium - all options

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by wfdTamar View Post
    The Toyota dealer in Kings Meadows (Launceston, Tasmania) had the Skoda dealership for what, a year or two? I never saw any Skoda branding or cars on display. Just the other day I noticed it's moved to Buckby's right in town in York St (near the Jaguar/Landrover dealership and they had some branding up.
    Just moved to Launceston and have a 2011 octy VRS (yellow wagon, wave if you see me!) and another 2014 octy vrs (gun metal grey).

Where is the best place to get these serviced that know what they are doing? Do you recommend the local Skoda dealership?

Problem in Launceston is finding a place that has the dealer tools (the computer bit). Unless you have your own (a VCDS) and do your own servicing like I do, you pretty much have to use the Skoda dealer. However, I've not searched around to see if there are any other places as I only use them once every 60,000km's to do my Haldex oil change. Servicing really is a doddle so I don't see how a dealer could stuff it up. Most services are pretty much just oil and filters which any dill can do. It's more trusting that they're not overcharging. It's only the DSG oil changes and timing belts that are bigger services and they charge through the nose for. Mine's manual and I've done my own timing belt. My car's 10 years old now so I don't need dealer service stamps. I trust myself more than them.

You could go to Hobart if you don't like the one in L'ton. I haven't dealt with the new L'ton one yet. With such frequent dealer changes are they learning as they go along? RS is one of the most common models in Tas so you should be ok. Mine is an early unusual model with a lot of customisation so I'm careful.

I even find it hard finding a wheel alignment place that understands them (like, yes, you can actually adjust the rear), won't damage wheels (the Pedder place did that) and does a decent job. Last couple were done at a small place called Flemings in Invermay. Seems ok, but they don't give you a nice computer readout so there is a big element of trust that they know what they're doing (as with anything in Tas). They're civil and seem to have brains in their heads unlike most wheel places (I mean I've had asymmetric tyres with OUTSIDE printed on them put on the wrong way!).

I would give the dealer a try and compare it to previous experience (likely more expensive than ACT though due to the numbers they do). If not happy ask other people which generic mechanics they like then ask them if they can do a Skoda. For a standard service the only reason you'd need the Skoda tool is to reset the service reminder, maybe clear fault codes. It's only a bugger if you actually have a real fault that needs investigating. Third party tools (there may be others than VCDS that mechanics have) may be able to do that.
    Last edited by wfdTamar; 26-03-2018 at 02:51 PM.
    Bluefin 132Kw/385Nm, Racechips Response Control, Haldex Performance controller, H&R anti roll bars, Koni FSD shocks, SuperPro control arms & ball joints, subframe & gearshift mods, Full Dynamat interior, Polk Audio sound, Columbus, Bluetooth, MDI, parking sensors, camera. BBS SR 18x8" w/ 225/40xR18. 3M Crystalline tint.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by wfdTamar View Post
    Problem in Launceston is finding a place that has the dealer tools (the computer bit). Unless you have your own (a VCDS) and do your own servicing like I do, you pretty much have to use the Skoda dealer. However, I've not searched around to see if there are any other places as I only use them once every 60,000km's to do my Haldex oil change. Servicing really is a doddle so I don't see how a dealer could stuff it up. Most services are pretty much just oil and filters which any dill can do. It's more trusting that they're not overcharging. It's only the DSG oil changes and timing belts that are bigger services and they charge through the nose for. Mine's manual and I've done my own timing belt. My car's 10 years old now so I don't need dealer service stamps. I trust myself more than them.

You could go to Hobart if you don't like the one in L'ton. I haven't dealt with the new L'ton one yet. With such frequent dealer changes are they learning as they go along? RS is one of the most common models in Tas so you should be ok. Mine is an early unusual model with a lot of customisation so I'm careful.

I even find it hard finding a wheel alignment place that understands them (like, yes, you can actually adjust the rear), won't damage wheels (the Pedder place did that) and does a decent job. Last couple were done at a small place called Flemings in Invermay. Seems ok, but they don't give you a nice computer readout so there is a big element of trust that they know what they're doing (as with anything in Tas). They're civil and seem to have brains in their heads unlike most wheel places (I mean I've had asymmetric tyres with OUTSIDE printed on them put on the wrong way!).

I would give the dealer a try and compare it to previous experience (likely more expensive than ACT though due to the numbers they do). If not happy ask other people which generic mechanics they like then ask them if they can do a Skoda. For a standard service the only reason you'd need the Skoda tool is to reset the service reminder, maybe clear fault codes. It's only a bugger if you actually have a real fault that needs investigating. Third party tools (there may be others than VCDS that mechanics have) may be able to do that.
    Thanks for the extra information, much appreciated. I actually do have a VCDS but have always gone to the dealer to 'tick the box' for the logbook. Any issues that come up I try to fix myself. The mk3 RS has 3 months of warranty left so might take it to the dealer to get a once over to check for any obvious issues. Especially anything to do with the DSG as these can be costly.

Agreed, I pinged the dealer awhile ago as I had a noise coming from the TSI engine and even provided them with the part number that was a known fix (most dealers did the fix for free as it was a small job). They had never heard of the issue or fix before which did not instil confidence.

I think I will be on my way to Hobart shortly to get an APR tune for the mk3 RS to enjoy the tassie roads

Worth it for a car under warranty and also if you intend selling it within a reasonable time period. I bought mine after warranty was up and intend keeping it indefinitely.

Have you looked at racechip.com ?

Chip tuning Skoda Octavia (5E) 2.0 TSI RS | From Racechip

wfdTamar, Sound like you have a bit of a weapon there! TDI AWD!

I'd also suggest JB4 (VW TSI) as a good place to start your tuning life, not thats Ive heard any bad things about Race Chips.

Jump on SkodaModderz facebook page for some ideas.

All the dealers have nfi tbh.
    Have similar stories to wfdTamar with dealers and wheel places...

Best of luck
    Skoda RS 230
    "The Grey Ghost"
    SG-TP-AB RS230 - Timeline

I have no idea what the Racechip one is like. Looks ok and seems to be DIY (as does that JB4) which is what I'd like about it.

Yes, everyone says 'give us the 4x4 RS'. I reckon I have as close as you can get in Australia. Problem is I've been sick and turned into an old fart now. My main enjoyment with cars is seeing how good MPG I can get - sad. I have got it very well set up now. It's such a good car. 10 years old, but doesn't look it and still only 135K km. Does swift, economy, towing, very unlikely to get bogged. The only thing I'd like now is heated seats an an auto sometimes. Picked up a Saab Aero wagon which has all that and a sunroof which is nice so I just drive that when I'm knackered - it's very comfy and relaxing. Good second car.