Thread: DSG Oil Change - DIY

Users Country Flag

DSG Oil Change - DIY

So I finally got around to doing my DSG oil change today
    It's all very straight forward indeed - just takes a little time and a bit of patience
    (I'm going to do these changes at ~40k rather than 60k)

You can buy the filter (comes with the O-Ring) from your dealer parts department or ECS Tuning, etc

I bought the oil from Melbourne - here:
    Buy*Pentosin**PX FFL-2*Online Melbourne Australia

I used this excellent page as a guide
    How to DIY DSG transmission fluid change on VW TDI or Audi TDI

There are two key decisions you need to make:
    • Where to pour the oil into the gearbox (top or bottom)
    • How to determine how much oil to pour back in

Where to pour the oil into the gearbox (top or bottom)

If you refill via the bottom drain plug you are going to waste some (very expensive) oil for sure
    And it's a little tricky - you need an adapter and air pressure etc

So I decided to fill from the top via the oil filter hole - the only downside of this is that it's slow
    The MyTurboDiesel web site said it would take ~40 minutes to poor the oil into the gearbox this way
    (because the top oil hole in the gearbox is so small and the oil is so thick)

I left the oil bottles in a cool place for a few days to ensure the oil was cool/thin (it gets thick when hot)

I used 10mm clear tube (from Bunnings) and a funnel
    (I did have to cut the tube to make a small taper so it would fit into the gearbox hole)
    If you just pour oil into the funnel you get an air bubble in the tubing going down to the gearbox
    This significantly limits throughput as oils drains very slowly past the air bubble
    At the start of each oil bottle, if you slowly pour oil into the funnel and let the tube fill with oil (does not take long and does not take a lot of oil to perform this step) you can prevent a air bubble from being trapped in the tube, the oil then goes into the gearbox much faster! (Maybe ~20 minutes all up)

How to determine how much oil to pour back in

The factory fill method is over fill, then start the engine and warm the gearbox oil to 35 degrees
    Then let the excess drain out via the drain plug (an inner/vertical funnel maintains the correct level)
    To do this procedure you need the car raised off the ground (for the drain pan and so you can put the drain plug back in) and the car must be level (that's important) and you need the VAG cable and software to watch the gearbox oil temperature

The other method is to accurately measure how much comes out and put that amount back into the gearbox (plus 100ml to account for what is lost in changing the oil filter) - which is what I did
    I got ~4.66 litres of out of the gearbox (a little more than expected) - not including the oil lost in replacing the filter
    I put back 4.75 litres into the gearbox (to account for the oil lost in changing the oil filter)

Complete

The start-up and test drive was totally uneventful - no detectable change in operation

My DSG is somewhat smoother changing gears than others I've driven - no idea why
    (Others dump the clutch abruptly - you can really feel the thump)
    2012.1 Skoda Octavia VRS DSG Wagon - Carbonio cold air intake and pipe - HPA Motorsports BBK 355mm rotors 6 pot calipers
    APR Stage II ECU - APR 3" exhaust down pipe & high flow catalyst
    APR/HP Roll bars - Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks
    Supaloy lower control arms - Enkei 18*8 Wheels

Thanks Martin,

A Very good review, may inspire me to do my own also.Thank you.
    Current:12 Golf GTD, Mods on order -Bluefin Remap, Mods planned-plenty
    Former:08 GT Sport TDI DSG Bluefin, HPA SHS Coilovers,H&R Swaybars with Whiteline Adj Links

Users Country Flag
    I just did my DSG service too, and it took a few hours of mucking around but I got there. Mind you I did the air filter, diesel filter, oil filter, cabin filter and engine oil as well.

I filled the DSG from the top with clear tube and a funnel. You are right about slow going.

I poured in 5.5l, and heated things up, till the DSG was at about 35C, then let the excess drain out.
    I got a bit freaked by how much came out, which was around a litre.

So my guess is that the volume needed in the box is actually around 4.6 - 4.7l.
    It seems like a waste to put so much in, to just drain nearly a litre back out.
    Maybe the flushing out effect of the excess oil is to rid the box of any floaty bits of crud in there, but I didn't notice any in my old oil pan. Or maybe its a raquet to sell more oil! - Anyone else got a theory on this?
    Zano - PERTH, WA
    MY09 Golf MKVI TDI 2.0, DSG, Sports Pack

Users Country Flag
    I only ever put 5L in them.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Zano View Post
    I just did my DSG service too, and it took a few hours of mucking around but I got there. Mind you I did the air filter, diesel filter, oil filter, cabin filter and engine oil as well.

I filled the DSG from the top with clear tube and a funnel. You are right about slow going.

I poured in 5.5l, and heated things up, till the DSG was at about 35C, then let the excess drain out.
    I got a bit freaked by how much came out, which was around a litre.

So my guess is that the volume needed in the box is actually around 4.6 - 4.7l.
    It seems like a waste to put so much in, to just drain nearly a litre back out.
    Maybe the flushing out effect of the excess oil is to rid the box of any floaty bits of crud in there, but I didn't notice any in my old oil pan. Or maybe its a raquet to sell more oil! - Anyone else got a theory on this?
    Hey mate, did you buy your DSG consumables in Perth? Need to get my tiguan done but mechanics quote way too much!

This is the cheapest I’ve ever come across

https://www.audipartsdirect.co.uk/se...s-sale/fluids/

I wouldn’t use anything but OEM when it comes to DSG Fluids.
    I always though Febi was the OEM supplier but they are different colour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk