Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Columbus Head Unit Questions

Apple brought out wireless carplay in Aug 2015, still not really seen in any car makes as most only started bringing it in late 2015 and 2016 let alone the new standard.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by woofy View Post
    Apple brought out wireless carplay in Aug 2015, still not really seen in any car makes as most only started bringing it in late 2015 and 2016 let alone the new standard.
    OK, so the limitation may be that the car hardware improvements are lagging behind the developments in mobile devices. If Apple are already capable of doing wireless Car Play, I'm pretty sure that Google have it ready for Android whenever the cars can handle it.
    Cheers

Edit> Found this: https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/ca...reless_carplay

"BMW is the first car manufacturer to implement wireless CarPlay support, and Volkswagen is also working on wireless CarPlay solutions."

Edit 2> https://www.theverge.com/2016/5/18/1...google-io-2016

"Currently, phones need to be plugged in via USB in order to use Android Auto; with this new capability, you'll be able to do everything over Wi-Fi, which is especially great for the growing number of vehicles that have standard or optional wireless charging plates built into their consoles. (You don't need to be charging the phone in order to use the feature, but having Android Auto running while servicing an always-on Wi-Fi connection will likely punish the battery otherwise.)"
    Last edited by GeoffH; 18-04-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Updating my trials for those interested ...

I made up a wireless charging vent mount with a couple of embedded neodymium magnets from an old HDD..............
    Some people's talents and ingenuity are just annoying !!!

Pix please, if possible?
    2016 Skoda Octavia 162TSI RS Wagon
    (Race Blue, DSG, Tech pack, Comfort pack, 18" Black pack, panoramic sunroof, auto tailgate)

Previous: 2012 Mazda 6 Diesel // 2001 Subaru Liberty STi // 1991 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo // VK Holden Commodore // Subaru Leone // Mazda RX-808 // Mitsubishi Magna // 1971 Mazda R100 Coupe

Yep I had a vain hope that Skoda might put out a new system by the time I got mine built early 2016, but alas still not here for anyone. I would use it a lot more if it was wireless.

Users Country Flag
    Double post!
    Last edited by GeoffH; 19-04-2017 at 03:02 PM.

Users Country Flag
    See post below with links that work (hopefully)!
    Last edited by GeoffH; 19-04-2017 at 09:57 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Geoff, none of the links or attachments are working.
    Octavia Scout 135TDI MY16, Quartz Grey,
    Tech Pack, power seats, panoramic sunroof

Users Country Flag

Trying again .....

Quote Originally Posted by Spinifex View Post

Pix please, if possible?
    No problem, coming right up ...

This is the vent mount http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310962221032?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageNa me=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rmvSB=true

This is the charging coil. I removed it from the case as you will see in the photos below http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/401045136071?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=6705 71816686&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is the pack of 3 USB cables with 90degree plugs. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161247289555?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageNa me=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is the Qi charging receiver I fitted to my Motorola Moto G 3rd gen http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/302098015001?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=6009 11086717&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT I have placed a couple of thin metal strips inside the phone protective casing for the magnets to grab onto.

I also bought a sheet of soft black self adhesive padding to cover all of the ugly stuff inside the mount.

This is the partially assembled backing plate before affixing the covering. The purple thing is a piece of thin sheet metal glued to the backing plate of the mount. The magnets are bottom left and right. They are plenty strong enough to hold the phone.
    Columbus Head Unit Questions-assembly-unfinished-jpg

Here is the vent mount bracket in place before attaching the backing plate. The angle is not perfect. I am looking for a way to angle it slightly toward the driver. Note this is a Right Hand Drive car (Australia).
    Columbus Head Unit Questions-vent-mount-bare-jpg

Here is the finished mount with the cover concealing all of the gubbins. The angled USB cable tucks in nicely.
    Columbus Head Unit Questions-final-without-phone-jpg

Here is a (rather bad) photo of the phone in place. It is literally a drop-in, instant fitting. Turn on the ignition and the charging coil powers up, phone connects with BT, and AA starts up without touching a button.
    Columbus Head Unit Questions-final-phone-jpg

One drawback with the type of Qi coil I fitted is that the phone USB port is "permanently" connected, hence you can't easily plug in a cable to transfer files to/from the phone. I am running a simple FTP client on the phone for this, which works fine.

Any questions?
    Cheers

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234