Thread: Best bang for buck mods - 2017 RS169

Best bang for buck mods - 2017 RS169

Hi guys

I’m new to the VAG family and looking for the best bang for buck mod options for my Octavia RS169.

So far I’ve seen the dogbone upgrade is popular to help eliminate axel tramp (which I get lots of times) but also keen to see what else is recommended from other owners.

Really enjoying the car and although it’s a daily and family hauler I’m now looking to add some tasteful mods for some extra oomph.

Intake? Tune? JB4? Exhaust?

Keen to hear everyone’s advice.

Users Country Flag
    The dogbone mount is a very good idea, cheap and totally reversible if/when you sell the car .Either this one or this one

A tune or JB1/4 would definitely be the next best bang for your buck modification you can do.

For me personally, an intake would also be on the list, as i love hearing the induction and turbo sound.

Also for me personally, some wheel spacers on the stock wheels really make the car look better. Like these

But modifying cars is a personal thing, so do what you want/like.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    The dogbone mount is a very good idea, cheap and totally reversible if/when you sell the car .Either this one or this one

A tune or JB1/4 would definitely be the next best bang for your buck modification you can do.

For me personally, an intake would also be on the list, as i love hearing the induction and turbo sound.

Also for me personally, some wheel spacers on the stock wheels really make the car look better. Like these

But modifying cars is a personal thing, so do what you want/like.
    Thanks so much your great reply mate!

I think I need to check what dogbone type I have as it looks like there are 2 versions, I’ll definitely go with this upgrade.

Keen to learn more about the JB1 & JB4. Do you know what the differences between these two are? Simple plug n play type?

Also, any recommendations on air intake brands that suit the Škoda?

Wondering if a GFB DV+ diverter valve will give me more pssshht turbo sound?

Thanks again.

Hey Mate

have a read of this and come over to the FB group 'SkodaModderz'
    SG-TP-AB RS230 - Timeline

So Jb1 is a simple piggy back, where as the JB4 is a lot more advance, and has an OBD plug on it to read more data to help make power and run smoother.
    Skoda RS 230
    "The Grey Ghost"
    SG-TP-AB RS230 - Timeline

Users Country Flag
    I'd highly recommend an aftermarket rear sway bar.
    It will do wonders for ur handling, and is the best bang for buck suspension mod.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by golfage View Post
    Thanks so much your great reply mate!

I think I need to check what dogbone type I have as it looks like there are 2 versions, I’ll definitely go with this upgrade.

Keen to learn more about the JB1 & JB4. Do you know what the differences between these two are? Simple plug n play type?

Also, any recommendations on air intake brands that suit the Škoda?

Wondering if a GFB DV+ diverter valve will give me more pssshht turbo sound?

Thanks again.
    JB1 is a set and forget unit, whereas the JB4 is more customisable. Arguably the JB4 is better, but requires a lot more work from you to get it that way. JB4 is also more expensive.

An aftermarket intake will certainly give you more turbo sounds as well as some pssshht sound when you let off the throttle. Prices and designs vary greatly, anywhere between $600 to $1000+. Cheaper ones are metal or plastic in design, the expensive ones are carbon fibre.

Have a look here MK7 Golf GTI– V-tech Australia | European Performance and also the AutoInstruct website I linked to above, they are both Australian based and have a good range of parts. Basically any engine related parts for a Mk7 GTI will fit your car.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Thanks heaps for the info guys. Super helpful indeed.

Have you guys added an exhaust?