Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Approximate service costs and approx. parts cost

Users Country Flag

Mine is a 2011 Mk2 - I was under the impression the TSI (CCZA) version had a timing chain
    2012.1 Skoda Octavia VRS DSG Wagon - Carbonio cold air intake and pipe - HPA Motorsports BBK 355mm rotors 6 pot calipers
    APR Stage II ECU - APR 3" exhaust down pipe & high flow catalyst
    APR/HP Roll bars - Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks
    Supaloy lower control arms - Enkei 18*8 Wheels

Yes it does, the pre FL, ie 2007-2009 still had the TFSI with the cam belt. Anything with the new headlights had the different engine. There was a weird crossover point where the other models had the new stuff, but the RS had the older exterior and the new interior in 2009 before the full update came through. Around when DSG and diesel options also appeared.

Users Country Flag
    Easiest way to tell is to pop your bonnet and see whats written on your engine cover.

TSI = timing chain (oil filter is visible on the drivers side of the engine)
    FSI/TFSI = timing belt (oil filter is not visible and plastic engine cover is much larger)

I have personally seen a pre-FL Octy vRS that had the updated TSI engine...so the pre FL vs FL argument isnt always 100% accurate although it will be correct in most cases.

To say the timing chain is a non-serviceable item is supposedly true, although VW/Audi/Skoda have a habit of making rubbish timing chains which stretch and therefore become too long and rattle. My 2010 Mk6 Golf GTI has a stretched timing chain and i now need to spend a small fortune having it replaced with an updated part....car has only done 70,000km.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Yeah the TSI you saw was probably the halfbreed 2009 RS that had the internals of the FL but not the externals....such a weird thing to do. I was trying to work out when to buy mine then and the dealers had no clue when the update was properly coming through. I ended up contacting Skoda in CZ and they still couldn't say much. In the end I bought the preFL on the floor and of course the FL RS came out pretty much straight away....typical.
    Last edited by woofy; 13-01-2016 at 01:36 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by gadget007a View Post
    just had first service done on my15.5 RS Diesel, they did a full wheel balance, rotation, wheel alignment and all up it was $441
    $90ish for the wheel alignment which seems high but the comprehensive report they gave i think was worth it. it detailed not only the wheel angles before and after but also gave weight distribution & shock absorber rebound test.
    Bit too much for what’s basically an engine oil, oil filter change and basic safety check.

I know this post is old but, nobody commented on it and it’s a good example of paying way too much for first service.
    The service was on a basically brand new car and if they had to correct wheel alignment, chances are that it was most likely set up wrong from the start and therefore should be no charge.
    Last edited by Transporter; 02-06-2019 at 08:31 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234