Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Approximate service costs and approx. parts cost

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kenju View Post
    Hi all, I'm about to get my 105,000 service and the dealer told me it would be over $1000 because they have to replace the camshaft as part of the standard VW service for the jetta. It sounded like crap to me - what's been your experience?

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

Sorry, I just saw this is in the wrong forum - will re post there
    Cambelt, not camshaft.

Expect it to be more like $1500 all up
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Getting our late 2008 man Petrol RS done for the 105 service based on time rather than kms as its only just shy of 70k but is 7 yrs old.

The fixed price including a new water pump which must have been added in at some point recently is $1600. Used to be way more than that at my dealer. They have found though that the rear brake discs and pads need replacing....its at 69,000km and is manual. Not sure if that is normal, but I have never really had to replace them under 90,000 in any car from new. Could be that they are softer I guess. The weird thing is that the front set have never been done and apparently have heaps left on them. My memory from a year ago (8,000km ago) that both sets had heaps left on them. So have the service manager taking a look at why the rears wore faster?

Its a 2008 pre FL Mk2 sedan/hatch RS (petrol) manual.

Users Country Flag
    Rears will wear faster if you tend to brake lightly as the rear brake comes on first.

You might wish to check the handbrake ribbon on the centre console hasn't broken & jammed & is holding the handbrake on slightly
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

We do tend to brake lightly. The gator has been dodgy for ages on the handbrake as they all tend to be, but still seems to be letting go properly. It's just stiff. They promised me years back if the brakes need doing when the big service came up that they would do them free of charge. Unfortunately the service manager who started there when I first bought mysteriously left recently and was the only one who knew this. So not real happy with them today.

$1600! That's why I do it myself. The parts are under $200-250 and it's not all that difficult. I'm gonna hate it when I'm too old to do it.
    2008 Skoda Octavia Elegance TDI 4x4 wagon
    Bluefin 132Kw/385Nm, Racechips Response Control, Haldex Performance controller, H&R anti roll bars, Koni FSD shocks, SuperPro control arms & ball joints, subframe & gearshift mods, Full Dynamat interior, Polk Audio sound, Columbus, Bluetooth, MDI, parking sensors, camera. BBS SR 18x8" w/ 225/40xR18. 3M Crystalline tint.

Just got charged $115.50 (I think 1 hours worth) to bleed the brakes and clutch and another $115.50 to replace the Haldex clutch oil. Fluids & oils on top of that. The whole lot was $317.95.

I had actually replaced the brake fluid but thought my bleeding hadn't worked properly as the pedal felt spongy, but it felt exactly the same after they had done it, so I must have done ok. Maybe it was ok and didn't need to be done.

The brake/clutch bleeding ok, expensive, but within the realms of believable, but the Haldex is dead easy once you have the car on a hoist, maybe 15 minutes work. A simple drain, then refill job.

Despite me leaving a clear note in the car stating not to do anything else (due to them not following verbal requests previously) they washed it and put that horrible shiny tyre paint on. They obviously thought they were doing me a favour, but I would prefer to wash my own car, with care, than pay them $120 per hour to do it roughly. After a short drive found the front number plate hanging by one screw. I could easily have lost it with the $170 cover. They obviously knocked it off when washing and worse - didn't tell me. As it was it cost me $25 to fix it.

This is why I hate having anybody else work on my car. Don't get me started on wheel alignments and tyre fitting - the damage and lack of knowledge.
    Last edited by wfdTamar; 24-12-2015 at 01:22 PM.
    2008 Skoda Octavia Elegance TDI 4x4 wagon
    Bluefin 132Kw/385Nm, Racechips Response Control, Haldex Performance controller, H&R anti roll bars, Koni FSD shocks, SuperPro control arms & ball joints, subframe & gearshift mods, Full Dynamat interior, Polk Audio sound, Columbus, Bluetooth, MDI, parking sensors, camera. BBS SR 18x8" w/ 225/40xR18. 3M Crystalline tint.

Users Country Flag
    just had first service done on my15.5 RS Diesel, they did a full wheel balance, rotation, wheel alignment and all up it was $441
    $90ish for the wheel alignment which seems high but the comprehensive report they gave i think was worth it. it detailed not only the wheel angles before and after but also gave weight distribution & shock absorber rebound test.

Users Country Flag
    The last couple of alignments I've had were $180 & $140 - $180 was back in 2006 and $140 was 2010.

$90 is quite reasonable if they are using modern alignment machines.

Users Country Flag

4 wheel alignment is commonly $150+

Unusual to get weight distribution as most shops don't have the gear to do it
    Those that do normally charge $300 for corner weighting
    2012.1 Skoda Octavia VRS DSG Wagon - Carbonio cold air intake and pipe - HPA Motorsports BBK 355mm rotors 6 pot calipers
    APR Stage II ECU - APR 3" exhaust down pipe & high flow catalyst
    APR/HP Roll bars - Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks
    Supaloy lower control arms - Enkei 18*8 Wheels

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast