Thread: 7-pin aftermarket towbar/bike carrier

Users Country Flag

7-pin aftermarket towbar/bike carrier

Hi,
    Reading as much as I can find, seems there may be some issues with functionality using just a basic 7-pin setup (aftermarket towbar/ecu kit) in some circumstances.
    It's unclear if there will be issues with a bike carrier vs a larger trailer/towing. Does anyone have experience and even recommendations on how best to do this>?
    I am in Sydney.
    Thanks!

Users Country Flag
    99.9% of tralers in AUS use a 7 pin cable or if a van can use a 10 pin which is a 7 pin with extra heavier connectors for a fridge or battery charging in the van A 7 pin can plug into a 10 pin for just lights and brakes. Why do you need anything for a bike carrier. If a trailer or a van some bars use a 13 to 7 pin adapter and yes it has to be coded into the car
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks - I am hoping since its only brake/tail lights, indicators and license plate light needed on the carrier there wont be any other issues. I am though expecting reverse lights and reverse sensors may not work correctly.

Most of the cars I've seen in Aus got supplier with a euro 13 pin to 7 pin adaptor. If you do this way, make sure the car is programmed for "australia". Mine wasn't and the previous owner put with warning lights on the dash for 5 years...