Thread: 2012 Octavia 1z wagon - Boot latch releasing while driving

Users Country Flag

2012 Octavia 1z wagon - Boot latch releasing while driving

On a number of occasions now (inconsistently and sometimes when car locked) while driving, the boot latch has been releasing (to the first stage of the release as if you’d pressed the remote button). Thankfully it doesn’t unlatch completely.

Any ideas on what causes this? I’m stumped.

I also am in need of a new remote key - seems to have died but new battery didn’t fix it. Not sure if it’s related.

I also keep getting a Check 3rd Brake Light error - which seems bogus because the light works fine. Is it on the same circuit?

Users Country Flag
    Do you keep the remote in your pocket
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    It might be the cables that run via the flex joint in the hatch; if they have rubbed through and are shorting, you may get both the message for the rear brake light and the boot latch poping.

I had the issue with my boot randomly showing it was open on the dash with bad cables in the trunk hinge.
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    That seems to make sense. I would first get the 3BL error then the boot would pop.

Could the rain have anything to do with it?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Do you keep the remote in your pocket
    No I keep the keys in the ignition while I’m driving.

Users Country Flag

I have had the 3BL go on mine. It is a nuisance to replace, as you have to pull the entire boot liner off. Then the hardest bit was the washer hose attachment.
    I did have the boot catch release triggering, but it was the plastic guard around the boot catch. The catch in the middle of the rear bumper. It was sticking, bit of lube on the plastic return springs fixed it. The boot was closed, but not really.
    2001 - A4 B6 1.8T Sedan Manual - (sold @ 254,000km)
    2008 - A3 8P 1.9tdi Sportback Manual - (sold 90,000kms)

2013 - Octavia RS wagon - 1z - Race Blue - TDI - 6M - Leather - MDI - Whispbar S44W - LED interior kit - RVC forward?/retrofit - Mk3 gear shifter
    2021 - Q3 S-Line wagon - F3 - Daytona Grey - Westfalia towbar - no other options available.