I understand this may already have been asked, so apologies if it is a duplication. It’s also a long one so feel free to peace out. TLDR at the bottom.

I’ve got a 2012 Octavia RS with the CCZA 2.0T TSI engine, 90,000kms. Only had the car about 6 weeks and still getting used to it, but have been seeing some pretty high oil temps especially considering it’s winter.

I have a 130km return commute to work everyday, about 80km of that highway driving at 110kmh. During the highway runs the oil temps are sitting on around 112°C and peaking at around 117°C after an uphill stretch. Highest I’ve had was 122° after an extended uphill run with an ambient outside temp of only 13°C. Even in the mornings when it’s around 2-3°C outside I’m still getting oil temps of 112°C. Water temp always on the same 90°, never changes. I’ve been reading a lot and I know these engines run a bit hot, but from what I’m seeing these are temps people are getting on summer days or pushing hard, but I’m just cruising on a highway. I’m particularly worried about what will happen when it’s a 30° summer day and I’m driving uphill with the aircon on. I’ve done a full oil change and coolant change with top quality fluids and still no dip in temp. Upped from a 5W30 to 5W40 Penrite HPR5 to see if that made any change but still the same temps.

It is also burning oil but that is nothing new for the TSI. It’s getting through 1L per 1000km, but the compression is fine and it isn’t blowing clouds of smoke so doubt piston ring or valve seal. Have to get PCV checked and turbo seal checked, but no misfire codes, no flat spots and no drop in performance at all that would indicate anything like that. I suspect that it may burn less oil if I can drop the oil temp a bit and stop it getting so thin.

I’ve had it checked over by a mechanic and it appears as though everything is ok, but I’m just concerned as it’s just a bit too high for comfort. I’m considering fitting an oil cooler to try and drop the temps by 10-20°C, as from what I understand oil temps of between 90-100°C would be much better for engine durability. I have seen it mentioned that the downside of an oil cooler is that it can prevent the oil from warming sufficiently on a cold morning, but I’m thinking this won’t really be an issue if it’s still hitting over 112°C on a freezing cold morning anyway.

Would love any advice on what temps others see, what benefits or problems people have had after fitting an oil cooler, and if I should fit one? Any ideas on what could be causing these high temps and other possible solutions? At this point I can only see an oil cooler being a positive thing, but would like to know if I’m wrong.

TLDR; TSI engine getting high temps of around 115°C during highway driving in WINTER, do I fit an oil cooler?