Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airbag Replacement.

Users Country Flag

Airbag Replacement.

Hi All, I have a MY16 Octavia wagon 110 TSI and just had the airbag replaced under warranty. No issues except on the service report recommendations are....Rear tyres low & wheel alignment and ACC calibration .

This surprises me as I would of thought that the ACC would only need re-calibration if there had been an accident or something else....... Apparently replacing tyres are an issue to for this ACC.

Costed at $249incl seems steep.

Can anyone had experience with this.

Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    i've read over in Briskoda about ACC requiring re-calibration after a wheel alignment is done.
    lots of debate about it.

but apparently the wheel alignment "could" affect the car's "tracking", and potentially the radar's "angle", thus causing it to "misjudge" objects in its lane and/or adjacent lanes!!!
    crazy stupid, but i can see the link there.

technically, one would assume that as long as the wheels r aligned to within Skoda's specs, the radar "should b" fine.
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks, that does make sense, but in this occasion the car is still only 2 years old and on original rubber, no one else has serviced it except the dealership, the only change was the drivers airbag replacement today.

Users Country Flag
    My wheel aligement was out when new and VW corrected it and yes they re calibrated the camera and radar unit in the grille.
    I saw invoice cost $346 Which I didnt have to pay

Also had camears etc redone after windscreen replacement

All up cost was a bit over $1400 (Screen was $660)
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    MQB mid radar calibration routine requires a wall and a 5 second routine.
    An active calibration is then run however this is something that occurs during normal driving. Takes about 5 mins depending what the radar encounters.
    If it's in the factory guide then they have to do it.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Terann, it sounds like you are getting off lightly at $249! I was belted for $460 for ACC sensor calibration and rear axle alignment. This cost ended up being refunded as the sensor itself was faulty, so all covered under warranty. See my thread 'ACC sensor fault' from July last year for the full story.
    The 5 second routine kamold mentions is possibly for later model cars, which have the ability to 'self calibrate', the version fitted to MY16 models requires manual calibration - each and every time a wheel alignment is performed - or so the dealer told me at the time...
    I'm now up for 4 new tyres and at least a front wheel alignment, so will be interesting to see whether the ACC starts throwing up errors afterwards.
    MY 22 Superb Sportline Wagon. Moon White.
    1985 BMW K100RS in JPS racing livery
    2019 BMW R1250GS Exclusive

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by k_rider View Post
    Terann, it sounds like you are getting off lightly at $249! I was belted for $460 for ACC sensor calibration and rear axle alignment. This cost ended up being refunded as the sensor itself was faulty, so all covered under warranty. See my thread 'ACC sensor fault' from July last year for the full story.
    The 5 second routine kamold mentions is possibly for later model cars, which have the ability to 'self calibrate', the version fitted to MY16 models requires manual calibration - each and every time a wheel alignment is performed - or so the dealer told me at the time...
    I'm now up for 4 new tyres and at least a front wheel alignment, so will be interesting to see whether the ACC starts throwing up errors afterwards.
    Nope that routine takes 5 seconds.
    But there have been radar failures that have been replaced I've seen a number of them.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Nope that routine takes 5 seconds.
    Now I'm interested! Why was the dealer telling me that it was quite an involved process to align the ACC sensor? Yes, I know it's easy to be cynical as to the reason...

I'm not at all disputing what you're saying, I'm just trying to work out why the difference - and definitely interested to know what the process is!
    MY 22 Superb Sportline Wagon. Moon White.
    1985 BMW K100RS in JPS racing livery
    2019 BMW R1250GS Exclusive

Users Country Flag
    There is probably a factory process involving lasers and very expensive rigs.
    That's what should be used.

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    There is probably a factory process involving lasers and very expensive rigs.
    That's what should be used.
    Correct, Theirs a Rig, and needs a Wheel alignment first. Had it done with RACQ replaced Front Windscreen.
    Skoda RS 230
    "The Grey Ghost"
    SG-TP-AB RS230 - Timeline

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast