Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2.0TSI Catastrophic engine failure, owners be aware.

Users Country Flag

Well I can confirm that my Mk3 has some sort of fault in the timing gear, and they are replacing both tensioners (apparently there's 2), all guides & the chain, under warranty.
    I haven't got the car back yet to find out exactly what the cause was - perhaps they are doing it as a preventative measure, but I doubt they would authorise a dealer to do $1000's of work for no valid reason.
    2016 Skoda Octavia 162TSI RS Wagon
    (Race Blue, DSG, Tech pack, Comfort pack, 18" Black pack, panoramic sunroof, auto tailgate)

Previous: 2012 Mazda 6 Diesel // 2001 Subaru Liberty STi // 1991 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo // VK Holden Commodore // Subaru Leone // Mazda RX-808 // Mitsubishi Magna // 1971 Mazda R100 Coupe

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinifex View Post
    Well I can confirm that my Mk3 has some sort of fault in the timing gear, and they are replacing both tensioners (apparently there's 2), all guides & the chain, under warranty.
    I haven't got the car back yet to find out exactly what the cause was - perhaps they are doing it as a preventative measure, but I doubt they would authorise a dealer to do $1000's of work for no valid reason.
    Most likely excessively worn out timing chain wearing out the guides.
    Last edited by Transporter; 08-06-2019 at 07:33 PM.

Users Country Flag
    The car has done 57k km.... not 157k! SERIOUS engineering problem (or extreme bad luck) if the chain/timing componenets have worn out before the cars first "major"service.
    (Race Blue, DSG, Tech pack, Comfort pack, 18" Black pack, panoramic sunroof, auto tailgate)

Previous: 2012 Mazda 6 Diesel // 2001 Subaru Liberty STi // 1991 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo // VK Holden Commodore // Subaru Leone // Mazda RX-808 // Mitsubishi Magna // 1971 Mazda R100 Coupe

Just make sure they give you the paperwork what they done. Don’t leave the dealership without it.
    I always tell them in advance that I need the paperwork.
    It can come handy if the fault repeats itself soon after the warranty ends.

Users Country Flag
    Well I got my car back on Tuesday, 2.5weeks after first dropped to service.
    Happy with the results, in that it's no longer sounding like my rattly old Subaru, but unhappy with Skoda Australia advising they're not prepared to offer me any 'sweetener' for want of a better term.
    I simply asked them what/if they could offer me anything, since this is the 2nd time my car has been un-driveable for a period of 2-3 weeks, since I purchased brand new just over 2 years ago.... and they said nope, we're not even going to offer you a free service!
    That's bad brand reputation management SkodaAus, just sayin'

Will that stop you buying another Skoda ?

If not, then they got a win out of it by retaining you without giving you a 'freebie'.
    RS
    R

I think in many cases it’s not about the freebie. It’s about the attitude.

In our case we were so put off by unprofessional behaviour and complete luck f knowledge on the side of Skoda starting at the dealer and right up to Skoda Australia customer car.

I wouldn’t certainly buy Skoda again, unless the workshop back up for the warranty has changed.

Users Country Flag
    That's a grim outcome Miro, have you tried GWP in Melbourne for an engine?

I fixed up a mk6 gti last month that had a tensioner fail. Just short of 5k with a brand new head from VW.

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    That's a grim outcome Miro, have you tried GWP in Melbourne for an engine?

I fixed up a mk6 gti last month that had a tensioner fail. Just short of 5k with a brand new head from VW.
    No, it’s uneconomical to repair, better sell it for parts and Skoda has very long w resale value, which doesn’t surprise me.
    Last edited by Transporter; 06-07-2019 at 01:48 PM.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    I think in many cases it’s not about the freebie. It’s about the attitude
    1-gazillion% this comment.

I wasn't after a freebie because my ice-scraper was missing.
    I was after a goodwill gesture of perhaps 1 (maybe more) services may be subsidised, since my brand-new $50k car has been off the road with MAJOR warranty failures for a period of some 5 weeks over 2.5years of ownership.

(and just because I was curious, I did some maths...... that's about 4% of my total ownership period, without being able to use my car. That's a valuation of approx $2000 based on original purchase cost. Throwing me a free $300 service is nothing, to try to keep some brand-cred)

I agree with Transporter... unless the Australian backup and knowledge (and storage of spare parts in the Skoda warehouse) improves, I'll probably stick to VW or another brand that has more local support.
    Last edited by Spinifex; 06-07-2019 at 12:28 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123