Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2.0TSI Catastrophic engine failure, owners be aware.

Users Country Flag

2.0TSI Catastrophic engine failure, owners be aware.

I hope this can help other owners (save them money as well) who have the similar engine CCZA, CCZB under the bonnet of Octavia, Golf GTI.

VW, Audi, Skoda 2.0L TSI catastrophic engine failures caused by VW failure to notify their customers that they had to redesign a critical engine component.
    ….and not just once, the timing chain tensioner was silently revised 4 times by manufacturer,
    because it was failing to keep the timing chain from jumping the teeth on the cam resulting in
    engine destruction. The right thing to do would be to issue the recall and replace the tensioner
    inside the engine or at least update the ECU, so it would detect and set the check engine light off if
    the chain would start losing the tension. The out of timing cams will cause bent valves, possibly broken valve guides and has potential to damage the postons.
    Often there is no warning when the tensioner fails and the damage happens instantly in fraction of a second. Some
    engines may have a rattle on start up when starting cold engine in the morning, which many may
    overlook. Every 2.0L TSI engine from 2009-2013(4) in Golf6 GTI, Passat, Audi A3, A4, Octavia2 vRS that’s
    done 100,000km should have the timing chain tensioner inspected and replaced if found that you
    don’t have the latest revision, which is VW p/n 06K 109 467K. It should take less than 1 hour.
    Last edited by Transporter; 27-05-2019 at 07:26 AM.

Users Country Flag
    This is definitely a wide spread issue as the ~08.5+ Eos and ~08.5 Mk5 GTI also have this same failure...
    Unfortunately, unlike the US, there is no extended warranty here for this either.
    So if you have one of these cam chain based TFSI engines, get it checked even if the service history says it was done.
    '90 Mk I Cabriolet 1.8L - My toy... err... Daily driver... - Replaced with ‘93 Mk1 Cabriolet 1.8L <- Soon to be mine...
    '99 Mk IV Bora V5 <-- RIP - Replaced with ’10 Tiguan 147kw <-- Wife's Daily Driver
    '05 Volvo T5 S60 - 2.5L Turbo AWD Replaced with '09 Ford LV Focus Sedan <-- Used by the kids

'07 Eos 2.0 TFSI - Project Eos...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Reserved space for future post

Users Country Flag
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS, 130,000km, immaculately maintained, serviced regularly (more regular than the 15,000km service book recommends). Timing chain tensioner failed 2/4/19, Notified Skoda Australia - they didn't want to know about the issue, spoke with a guy called Charlie who seemed too have no idea what he was talking about - was unaware that the engine is shared with VW/Audi?? Also said timing tensioner should be changed at regular intervals, he then refused too speak with me directly, and i had to speak with someone else at Skoda Australia (equally as unhelpful: clearly they could do with a crash course in customer relations/communication) advised has to be diagnosed by their mechanics - towed to Jarvis - made to feel like a criminal, they were asking for at least 5 hours to diagnose the issue - my Mechanic diagnosed the problem in less than 20 minutes. When I questioned them, they got upset and refused to look into it further. Really disappointing. Would never purchase a Skoda again, they clearly have no desire to help their customers (potential returning customers) with common factory caused faults.

Through a google search, I found this was a very common worldwide issue - something Skoda denies, found a link to Shine Lawyers with a proposed class action against them for this particular issue. VW has compensated/repaired vehicles in other countries. If you, or someone you know are having this issue - share the word.

Audi, Skoda and Volkswagen Potential Class Action | Shine Lawyers
    Last edited by Willow2015; 01-05-2019 at 09:52 AM. Reason: update

Users Country Flag
    When i had my Mk6 GTI i replaced (at my cost) the timing chain tensioner, guides and timing chain cover due to a startup rattle on cold engine and my car had the old model tensioner. I was aware of this issue and didn't want to risk being a victim of a much more expensive repair not to mention having the car off the road for several weeks.

VW was not interested in coming to the party, insisting the startup rattle noise was "normal operation".

After trying to get some assistance from VW for several weeks i decided to pay for it out of my pocket for peace of mind and to eliminate/reduce the risk.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Lucas, register for the class action. I believe there are a few hundred people registered at the moment.

Users Country Flag
    I ditched my MK6 GTI 15 months ago when my independent service centre said they were seeing these issues at as low as 60,000 kms , not good , VW should be warning punters to get corrective work done .
    GTI clubsport/edition 40 manual white 2016

Mercedes Benz A200 AMG pack red 2016

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow2015 View Post
    Lucas, register for the class action. I believe there are a few hundred people registered at the moment.

I sold the car approx 2 years ago (new owner knew the timing chain tensioner etc had been replaced). Not sure i could/should register when i no longer own the car.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    I enquired about this, saying I'm likely going to sell it as parts, they said i don't need to keep the vehicle to be part of the class action. If in doubt, give them a call. If you register and get something back as a result - may take a while, but better than a kick in the guts!

It's certainly not a 1hr job to change the tensioner. I can't recall the labour charge, but you're looking at roughly $1000 all up for the tensioner and new cover.

Yeah, extremely weak form from VW Australia. I won't be buying another VW due to the lack of corporate integrity they've demonstrated over the past few years.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast