Thread: 08 Octavia Ambiente TDI

Users Country Flag

08 Octavia Ambiente TDI

Hi All,
    Just bought an '08 Octi Ambiente 1.9 TDI manual. Lovely car, 103 days, great gearbox, love the gear changes, and 5.3L/ 100Km. We just drove Melbs to Brisvegas delivery, 1750k. Like a clock.

A few no-understands though;

Does the MFD do more than average fuel consumption, and outside air temp? The steering wheel buttons as mentioned in the manual do not do anything to alter the display. Any suggestions here, our is it the that we have the base model?

The media player I have pushed every button and can't find a balance adjustment? The service history shows RHF speaker plays up, and it does. And the radio is OK on some stations only. I play AM mostly. The CD player works, but the aux cord input, a new cable, plays through the LHF speaker only.

What do most ppl do? Is a second hand RNS510 an option? I don't want to spend a bundle on a daily driver for the son.

There are front and rear parking sensors apparently fitted, can see the buttons and can feel the wiring under the bars, but there is no warning emitting when you drive close to another car at either end.

The seat belt warning operates only for the driver's seat. Is this usual?

Nothing else for now. Loving the manual and firms ride. The Antracite metallic paint and mags looks neat too.

Thanks.
    MY09 Golf Candy White 2.0 TDI Pacific
    MY95 Golf III TDI

Users Country Flag
    Nice.
    Octavia mk2 1.9pd manual ambiente wagon was my first Skoda. Bought brand new in Dec 2007, it was the first Skoda sold/delivered in South Australia (I was told).
    Absolutely loved driving that car, no mechanical or electrical problems during the 6 years I owned it and really good consumption.

Sold on for a Mk3 1.4tsi about 4 years ago so I'm relying on my memory but on mine the change of display options was a toggle button on the end of one of the stalks, but cannot remember if left or right stalk.

Try some different aux cord cables, I think mine had favourites from my collection that it would work properly with.
    If you have the Swing radio then I think you press the tuning button to get the options for Bass, treble, balance etc each time you press it.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks good to hear, it feels really solid, and I will try those suggestions tonight.
    The radio just says, "Skodaradio and MP3 something on the front, I think.
    I wondered if the base model had some of the options turned off.
    Any clue about the parking sensors? Ma femme is keen to have them working.
    Thanks for the reply!
    MY95 Golf III TDI

Gerrycan, thank you. The MFD works just as you said, toggle RH stalk end up and down to shift display. Yay!
    No other reports, a bit knackered , bed.
    MY95 Golf III TDI

OK, so I got this far. The parking sensors are fitted and there is an one-off switch for the sensors. However, there is a fault indicating beep emitted when reverse is selected, along with a fleeting glimpse of a car outline in plan view on the radio face. I can hear the RH front speaker fading in and out still. Wonder if the whole thing needs replacing?

The Skoda user manual suggests the beep indicates a fault. So progress.
    MY95 Golf III TDI

So the car's going well except for some electrical stufff.
    Now the rear highest third brake light has gone, luckily the thing passed roadworthy for interstate transfer first.
    Looks to be LED. Quick surf and the parts I found online are either fairly expensive for the size of the item or not compatible with a 2008 Octavia Kombi 1.9 TDI.
    Any suggestions? Wreckers?
    Are these repairable? (I saw one youtube video where some corrosion was soldered around.)
    Thank you.
    MY95 Golf III TDI

Users Country Flag
    Unless LED were installed by the previous owner they would be normal bulbs.
    Easy enough to remove and check first though.

Checked and def LEDs. Bought replacements, overnight delivery from Crick's Mt Gravatt, exxy at $126, but not prepared to risk safety or insurance policy if there's a bingle. Easy as plug and play replacement tomorrow I hope
    MY95 Golf III TDI

Simple things.
    While replacing the rear brake high light, $125.50 from Skoda but overnight delivery, I noticed the nearby aerial was loose.
    Radio reception is now much improved!
    All I need to do now is retrieve the third plastic nut for the high-light which is rattling around inside the tailgate.
    MY95 Golf III TDI

The Ambiente head unit appears cactus.
    It won't pick up AM radio, her fave, and has an intermittent on-off RHF door speaker fault.

Aerial checks out as OK. One car radio place said there's a repeater box near the aerial that goes. Rang Skoda parts, no such part exists. $175 later after the auto electrician fitted a temporary aerial, its not the aerial.

Quote for $1650 for new Kenwood head unit is not in budget.

I see a Skoda Columbus head unit from a wreckers on Gumtree for $800, but that could be also crap as far as non-DAB AM goes.
    Thinking of plugging a DAB radio into our 240V inverter ;0

Any suggestions would be very welcome. Don't need flash, but AM radio is a must-have for her work.
    MY95 Golf III TDI