Support VWWC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: B1 Passat Estate

I had the same prob with rust in the plenum on my audi fox (sedan version). Lucky for me, my mate's dad was a ***** hot welder and could braze a new section in for me.
    I friggin loved that car. I've still got a stack of bits under Mum & Dad's house. Let me know if you need anything and I'll have a look.
    If the clock is not working, see if you can find the factory tacho from the TS to replace it. You may be lucky enough to find a centre console with three cutouts for gauges where the clock would slot in nicely.
    If you get really excited, the 5 spd manual trans from an Audi 80cc does fit in there which really makes it a much nicer car to drive.
    I had a 1.8l 8v in mine with the 32/36 Weber. Certainly not a rocket ship, but it sounded fast with a cold air intake and sports exhaust!
    Great cars. Under-rated and getting rare these days.
    Kudos to you for restoring one. Enjoy it!

B1 Passat Estate

Well some update pics, the work has started and don't you just always seem to find more to do.....

A previous repair to tailgate, paint had crazed so repair it again

Rust in the sub-frame to be removed, plated and welded

A good looking plenum chamber

Not that noticeable when white, but you'll see these dents in blue

If under boots an tire wells all looked this good...

I agree the plenum area looks good but I strongly suggest that this area be checked from underneath, particularly above the fuse box.

I have also had to replace the rear trailing arm bushes (as well as rewelding the torsion tube inside the 'U' beam). Body roll from soft standard springs will lead to torsion tube failure. I fitted a set of rear Variant coils to help things.

I had a set of 6"x13" steel wheels which (with the right rubber) probably caused more grief with the Passat suspension design. The best option is to fit better components from Koni, Bilstein etc as well as ensuring all rubber mounts are in the best condition.

Good luck

Rob
    2019 Skoda Superb 162kW
    2014 Skoda Octavia Elegance 110Tdi sedan (sold)
    2005 Audi Allroad TDI (sold)
    1968 VW Country Buggy (KO 606)

Quote Originally Posted by RedVR6 View Post
    You may be lucky enough to find a centre console with three cutouts for gauges where the clock would slot in nicely.
    i've got one of those floating around
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Good to see another B1 project...
    I'm in it for the long haul with my Audi Fox, when money permits!

If you need some specific info, try the Dasher Owners Group http://dog.mp3equipped.com/dog/ just for B1 owners

Excellent to see a Mk1 Fox, which was morphed into the VW Passat, being refurbished.

Good luck

Rob
    2019 Skoda Superb 162kW
    2014 Skoda Octavia Elegance 110Tdi sedan (sold)
    2005 Audi Allroad TDI (sold)
    1968 VW Country Buggy (KO 606)

Back on track

Well it has been a year since we started, but have finally started to finish things off
    all the body repairs have been completed.

Sprayed inside the door shuts and outside.

My daughter didn't like the alloy wheels we tried on, 'ANY CHANGES TO BE APPROVED IN WRITING DAD' so we sprayed up the original wheels, caps and fitted new tires.
    She has fitted most parts back, just waiting for the new body mould clips to arrive and the sill and door moulds will go back on.

As this is my first VW I had no spare parts so I managed to find a donor vehicle and just the other day saved this Estate from going to the crushers, it was on a ladys front lawn ready to go. never know what you may need...

Users Country Flag
    Love the B1's. Glad to see another one saved....well done!!

any change you want to sell that sun hood on the Sedan?

Sun visor from the sedan has been striped to bare metal and painted white. we will be fitting it to the Estate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast