Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B1 engine recommendations

B1 engine recommendations

Hey guy, just wondering if any of you know any engines that could fit into the old 1975 passat TS, ive seen some nice ones on utube, 2.2L 16v, but no idea what there called or where you can get them from, anyone got any ideas of what to replace the original engine with? any ideas recommended

I've got an 1800 out of a seat Ibiza In mine and their cheap an it flys , pretty much bolt in just change sump and oil pump

Does anybody know if the 16v goes in and what gearbox Is used? If it were easy I imagine there would be more 16v B1's floating around but can't find any info on here about the engine conversions and I know there dif to the golf. Except that yellow one on YouTube,
    the golf is not dead.

Users Country Flag
    16v goes in easy. It's because the 16v is rare in Oz that it isn't used much. It bolts up to the same gearbox that a 1.6 or 1.8 bolts up to but I don't know how much power the inline Passat gearbox can take.

Users Country Flag
    16v install into Passat is not an easy task.

It often involves changing the subframe to make it work. Custom engine mounts etc.

The 16v oil pump can't simply be swapped for a Passat one as the drive systems are different.

Exhaust manifold needs to be custom made.

Dual carbs might foul on the brake booster. They might also hit the bonnet, the B1 motor leans over more than in a golf.

All sorts of pain with 16v or 1.8T into the B1 chassis.

You'd really want to run a 5+5 gearbox or a B2 one to get a stronger box with 5 gears. That involves modifying the floor pan. Can't get those gearboxes in Aus anyway.

You'll have to go and have a custom clutch setup made too if you're making any power, there's not a lot of options for ugraded B1 clutches.

You need to swap the oil filter bracket over too or the clutch cable won't work.

The 1800 8v is the easiest option as all the accessories just bolt over.

Sump
    oil pump
    filter bracket
    exhaust and inlet manifolds are a direct fit
    top radiator hose will need figuring out
    Bottom hose is the same
    79 MK1 Golf Wreck to Race / 79 MK1 Golf The Red Thread / 76 MK1 Golf Kamei Race Car
    7? MK1 Caddy
    79 B1 Passat Dasher Project
    12 Amarok

Users Country Flag
    Bugger, that's twice in one night I've been corrected. Didn't think of the pump or manifolds.

Glad you're around Pete to set things straight.

I thought there was more work involved with the east/west engine, as I have not seen under the passat yet, would a golf 1 front end (struts, arms, driveshafts,gearbox) be a feesable option? Custom manifolds still.
    The 8v does sound a lot less hassle but once you own a 16v it's hard to go back to 8v haha

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by finemk1 View Post
    I thought there was more work involved with the east/west engine, as I have not seen under the passat yet, would a golf 1 front end (struts, arms, driveshafts,gearbox) be a feesable option?
    Nope, not even remotely possible. These cars were built by Audi and are completely different.
    79 MK1 Golf Wreck to Race / 79 MK1 Golf The Red Thread / 76 MK1 Golf Kamei Race Car
    7? MK1 Caddy
    12 Amarok

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by finemk1 View Post
    I thought there was more work involved with the east/west engine, as I have not seen under the passat yet, would a golf 1 front end (struts, arms, driveshafts,gearbox) be a feesable option?
    Nope, not even remotely possible. These cars were built by Audi and are completely different.
    7? MK1 Caddy
    12 Amarok

So the 1800 is the ticket, trying to find the engine would be the next step, so would one start to look for one from the seat Ibiza (is this efi?) what year would we be searching for? Or the golf 2/3' ?

Also the option of air con would be a plus - hoses and condeser will be worked out later
    Last edited by finemk1; 29-12-2015 at 05:30 PM.
    the golf is not dead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast