Page 101 of 883 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201601 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 8828

Thread: What have you done to your mk4 (golf/bora) today?

took passenger door skin off because i didn't put the lock cable release clip on properly last time i took the door off, making it difficult to open from the inside. and found i forgot to replace a screw that secures the tweeter grill, fortunatly it was still on the floor of the car where i left it weeks ago!

also looked in my air box just to make sure i hadn't actually dropped something in there last time i fiddled around with it. all seems to be in place, and i couldn't see anything that looked damaged... so still am at a loss as to why my car is underperforming (i timed my car yesterday and it's 0.7 seconds slower to 100 than it should be)
    http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newf...t=34830&page=3

i plan to get it looked at properly, but at the same time i'm gonna get a few things done, so gonna buy an ecs 14lbs clutch and wait for that to come, so cheap now.
    Last edited by McDub; 17-10-2009 at 02:08 PM.

cupra r lip pics as mentioned, and black grill back on .. finally done! (for now)

What’s behind you doesn’t matter..

Quote Originally Posted by fuzion View Post
    ...finally done! (for now)
    What else do you have in mind?! Looks awesome as is

swapped front tyres to rear.
    first time taking a tyre off on the car, used the widow maker at first, didn't realise it had a special groove that suits the car, so put it on the outside of the rail and as i started lifting it, saw that it started deform!!!! eeeek.
    so realised how it was supposed to sit, and spent aaaages changing the tyres, putting the spair tyre on each time rather than jacking up the whole half of the car.... longest process ever.... back is sore.
    i was getting very skeptical that the widow maker was about to break (could swear i saw it buckling) so halfway through i found a proper jack in the garage and used a bit of wood and lifted sort of just behind the rail that the widow maker moulds around. think it worked out alright.

Users Country Flag
    You can just buy one of these for your floor jack and then you can jack it on the pinch rail properly

Pure Motorsports is where I bought one for myself and Graeme.

Alternately buy an ice hockey puck and use a table saw to cut a groove into it and use that.

Cheers Al
    My Garage

People are mushy - Paul Hawkins on the merits of where to crash on the Targa Florio

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by quozl View Post
    Alternately buy an ice hockey puck and use a table saw to cut a groove into it and use that.
    Spoken like a true Canadian.
    Cheers,
    Trent

2010 Renault Clio RenaultSPORT 200 Cup 20th Anniversary Edition - #19 of 30 - The French Connection...
    2004 Volkswagen Golf R32 MkIV - #044 of 200 - Gone But Not Forgotten...
    "Racing is life; Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen -=-=- "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Unknown

got one of those too Al, fantastic thing to use.. yet i havent used it still and had it for a while!

If you have your own garage you should just grab a floor racing jack, much easier and wont damage your sills either
    What’s behind you doesn’t matter..

You can just buy one of these for your floor jack and then you can jack it on the pinch rail properly

Pure Motorsports is where I bought one for myself and Graeme.

Cheers Al
    thanks for that, but what is the contact point supposed to be?
    from looking at the widow maker, it seemed to seat most of the weight on the inside of the rail, i.e a flat part of the sill(?) that you can't see, as i couldn't see any marks left on the widow maker where the rail would have sat.
    in this post, it looks like no weight is put on the rail, yet the person doesn't think it is correct.
    http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/656411-post22.html

and as i said, i initially put my widow maker in the wrong position, and so that it was lifting up on the outside flat part of the sill (outside as in the side closest to you that you can see), and it deformed it by 10mm+, so def not strong enough there!
    (as yes i used the correct 13cm and 22mm distances or whatever they are as the book says. I noticed are actually dents that indicate these points on my car, doesn't look very clean... this on all cars?
    Last edited by McDub; 18-10-2009 at 07:05 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by McDub View Post
    thanks for that, but what is the contact point supposed to be?
    from looking at the widow maker, it seemed to seat most of the weight on the inside of the rail, i.e a flat part of the sill(?) that you can't see, as i couldn't see any marks left on the widow maker where the rail would have sat.
    in this post, it looks like no weight is put on the rail, yet the person doesn't think it is correct.
    http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/656411-post22.html

and as i said, i initially put my widow maker in the wrong position, and so that it was lifting up on the outside flat part of the sill (outside as in the side closest to you that you can see), and it deformed it by 10mm+, so def not strong enough there!
    (as yes i used the correct 13cm and 22mm distances or whatever they are as the book says. I noticed are actually dents that indicate these points on my car, doesn't look very clean... this on all cars?
    You said you used a floor jack after the widow maker, I was showing you a part you can use with a FLOOR JACK so as to not damage the pinch rail. As you can see the pinch rail fits in the slot, all the weight is taken by the area that is supposed to take it.

Last edited by quozl; 18-10-2009 at 08:25 PM.
    My Garage

People are mushy - Paul Hawkins on the merits of where to crash on the Targa Florio

As you can see the pinch rail fits in the slot, all the weight is taken by the area that is supposed to take it.
    yep cheers, just wanted to confirm that because the person who posted in that link disagreed, and secondly, i found out today that it's not very strong on the outside of the pinch rail as my wrongly placed widow maker caused a decent depression there.
    i believe it's much stronger on the inside, i.e behind the pinch rail, rather than the outside, i.e towards the skirting, but that's just from what i observed today.
    and that makes sense as to why the widow maker is designed the way it is, it only puts the weight on the inside, unlike that yellow jack pad which looks like it supports on either side of the pinch rail.
    so the way i see it, when using a floor jack, it's ok to use a block of wood and place it just behind the pinch rail. anyone disagree with that?
    Last edited by McDub; 18-10-2009 at 08:55 PM.

Page 101 of 883 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201601 ... LastLast