Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VWwA Used Car Guides (Type 1J) Bora 1999-2005

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_Dub View Post
    Does the K&N filter make much of a difference? and is it worth getting?
    I found these
    eBay: Chen's Ham and Motorcycle options

about the same price as a stock air filter, and from what I remember same build quality as the K&N's

Model: Bora V5, Indigo Blue
    Engine: 2.3 with 125 KW and 5spd manual
    Year: 2002
    Odometer: 118,000km
    Length of ownership: A few weeks
    Rating: 8/10
    Problems: noisy starter motor, squeaky brakes

Gripes: soft stock suspension, reach for spare tyre

Likes: just enough power for a family hack, drives smoothly , comfortable leather interior, heated front seats, big boot, decent stock stereo ,very good braking and braking feel

Mods: none yet

Thinking of: Suspension
    MK4 GTI: Custom Code Stage 2, K03S, 42DD exhaust, Bilsteins, whiteline F&R, 312mm brakes
    MK6 GTI: MY13, DSG , very stock
    Ducati 749

Quote Originally Posted by governor22 View Post
    did you know you can close the sunroof when you lock the car using key ? Sunroof has to be in tilt though, not fully open. And I don't think you can open it....
    My sunroof will close from any position when i hold the key to lock?

Users Country Flag
    Model: Bora V6 4motion
    Engine: 2.8 with 155 KW and 270 NM
    Year: 2001
    Odometer: ~214,000 kms
    Length of ownership: 2 years
    Rating out of 10 = 6.5

Problems:

- Coilpack died due to flooding in Melbourne in 2011
    - clutch pedal linkage broke
    - gearbox failed
    - clutch failed
    - boot latch failed

Gripes:

- Front suspension in squeaky despite stage one suspension refresh kit
    - suspension is too soft
    - 16" stock wheels should have been 17" (on the non-Sport)
    - headlights are pretty average
    - general wear and tear on an aging car

- brilliantly torquey engine
    - AWD grip, especially accelerating out of corners
    - one touch close sunroof
    - seat warmers
    - rain-sensing wipers
    - clean console and dash design
    - practical with a good boot size
    - design has aged well, still looks fairly modern
    - reasonably priced (2nd hand)
    - low insurance premiums

Mods:

- K&N filter

Thinking of:

- Selling

Overall I've enjoyed the car. Zero engine issues even at these high kms which is testament to regular servicing. Most of the issues I've had are generally due to the high kms and general wear and tear. It still hurts when you have to pay half the value of the car when the gearbox and clutch fail.

Users Country Flag
    Hi All, I just recently purchased a used (I am the third owner) 5 Speed manual, 2004 V5 Bora Sports with 129,000 km on the clock. Factory optioned with Climatronic, leather and premium audio (which isn't so premium anymore).

The car is wickedly fun to drive around and I have very little to complain about. I would like to be able to use this as a hobby car and do it up where I can. The car has full logbooks and has always been serviced at McCarrols VW on the North Shore.

This is the first German Manual I've driven and can't believe how much fun it is to drive.

Will be doing an Audio upgrade shortly.

has anyone tried fitting the iPad mini into these MK IVs?

Users Country Flag

Model: Bora 2.0 Type 1J
    Engine: 2.0 with 85kW
    Year: 1999
    Any Problems? I bought my Bora secondhand off CarSales in 2011 (I think) with about 180,000kms.
    Passenger window wouldn't go up or down (luckily it was up when it went out). CD Player went in it after I owned the car for a year or so.

Besides costing me an arm and a leg due to my own fault (I was a bit neglectful after hitting a massive roo at about 35km/ph) I absolutely love/d my Bora! Bloody tough little thing. I had to drive her about 1300kms after hitting a roo but got about another 15,000km before engine mounts went and everything else. Got fixed up and then the exhaust/manifold went, welded her up 2 or 3 times until the mechanics said enough's enough you gotta get a new exhaust, was quoted $1300 for a new one and it'd have to be shipped from Europe and that was without fitting it Not sure if he was talking BS just to get me to buy a new car or not ha. She still runs, struggles to start in hot weather but has been retired at around 320,000kms. Had a lot of good times and memories, she was super quick around corners and has been to hell and back.

EDIT - Had the coil pack go on me coming home from Melbourne, RACV put a piece of plastic on it to stop it shorting out. That piece of plastic kept her running for 2 years until some nong who did the plugs and leads took it off! Replaced with one from a wrecker and good as gold again.

I would definitely get another Bora, hell I almost did end up with a second one but I have animals I have to cart around so I went for a Passat wagon this time (after my AU ute of 1 1/2 months blew up!). Seriously think they're very under-rated against your holdens and fords.

Last edited by Bora99; 23-01-2018 at 05:17 PM. Reason: added coil pack story

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123