Support VWWC

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SUCCESS!: How to make a new key incl. transponder

SUCCESS!: How to make a new key incl. transponder

I'm putting this guide together since I couldn't find a definitive guide on how to put together a new key for my MKIV Golf GTI and whether it would work at all. I assume it's the same process with all MKIV's as they use the same immo unit and this guide MAY be applicable to other generations as well.

Firstly you'll want to grab an OBDII to USB cable and Vag-Tacho. I bought this cable: NEW Tacho VAG 3.01 Opel Immo Airbag Scanner Reader Fast | eBay

If this link dies, just do a search for 'vag tacho' on ebay.

Next you'll want to get a transponder, I picked one up from user 'automobilelocksmith' on ebay: Transponder Chip ID48 for Volkswagen Remote Key | eBay

The transponder from these guys definitely work but be warned that others have bought transponders elsewhere only to have it not work. I recommend these guys, but if you can grab your hands on a chip for free then go for it and let us know how it goes!

You'll also need to get a key blank, either in the fob style or valet style. I picked up a valet style key from my local locksmith who cut it as well for $60. It's preferable to get one that can house the transponder inside unlike mine.

Now for the fun!

Plug in your cable to your laptop - I used winxp via bootcamp on my macbook.
    Install the driver that comes with the disc, or alternatively download VCDS 10.6 (you can download this for free, it just won't work with your interface cable). At the end it will ask you if you want to install the USB driver, hit yes.

Fire up Vag Tacho, plug in the OBDII end into your car and if all works well, the Vag Tacho program should say something along the lines of "K-Line connected..." in the title bar.

- Select 'VDO NEW' for your ecu under the 'Select ECU' menu option at the top of the screen.
    - Hit 'Connect to Selected ECU'
    - Get the key code
    - Hit program new keys

Now I screwed up a little in this next step rendering my old key and new key temporarily useless. If you make the same mistake as me don't worry, it'll still work.

- Flip your old working key so that the car is on but not running (is this aux or accessories? not a big deal...)

- Bash in your key code that you retrieved earlier.

- Leave the channel on the default 21

- Enter the number of keys you wish to program. You'll want all your old keys as well.

- I chose to delete old keys as i only received one with the car when I purchased it second hand. If you have existing keys ignore this step.

- Hit okay and once Vag Tacho is done with the key, it'll prompt you to disconnect and remove the key. Hit the disconnect button in Vag Tacho and don't just pull the key out. This is where I made my mistake.

- Insert any subsequent keys and leave it on until the immobiliser indicator on your dash turns off.

- VOILA! New keys for a fraction of the cost.

FYI: All up this cost me $60 for the cut blank key, ~$15 for Vag Tacho and the cable and ~$40 for three ID48 chips incl. postage. For each key you're looking at under $80, which is about a 1/6th if you got it from a dealer.

Good luck, and if you have any questions please feel free to ask below. Also if anyone would like me to help them program a new key and you're willing to head out to Penrith NSW, feel free to PM me and i'll see if i can help you out (at your own risk).

P.S. If I ever get a fob with remote locking i'll cover that in here too for although it sounds EXTREMELY straight forward and I'm sure I came across a how-to on vwvortex somewhere.

Users Country Flag
    I've managed to do the same thing with my V-checker pro. I just need to get a spare key and do it again
    1991 BMW 318is RED E30

Users Country Flag
    The remote part doesn't require any extra hardware to get the car to learn the remotes. There is a simple process to get the car to accept new remotes (it's shown at the bottom of my post). For the immobiliser chip the guide above is good. I didn't have to press the disconnect button though on the Beetle.

All the key bits you need are available here: KeyMam LockSmith Shop | http://www.KeyMam.com . Their immobiliser chips, remote controls, key bodies, and key badges are all of decent quality. Not quite as good as originals but very hard to tell. You don't need the blades, but I think they're included anyway.
    Price for remote part: about $36 (but you might be lucky and have the $25 one)
    Price for flip key part (with transponder chip and blade): about $11.50

The blade on thier own can be bought already cut on eBay from the seller www_keysinthepost_com. They are in the UK but shipping is fairly quick (it just comes in an envelope). You will need to send them a picture of a current key blade and they will work out the code and get a new key cut to code from that. Price is about $20 posted.

Link to auction: Volkswagen VW Key Blade Cut to Your Car-GUARANTEED! | eBay

This way for a single remote key it's probably a little over $80, and if you get more than 1 the price will drop under $80.

So the overall process is:
    1. Buy all the stuff (including VAG TACHO)
    2. Swap cut blade onto flip key part (this will require a few tools like hammer and nail, if you can't do it then take it to a jeweller, key place, or watch place)
    3. Get car to recognise remote part of key (process below). All keys should be able to lock and unlock the car with buttons and blades and turn the ignition.
    4. Use VAG TACHO to get car to learn transponder chips of all keys (my car has a limit of 5 at once). Follow ohsnap!'s process above.
    5. Celebrate

Hope that makes it easy for you all!

Here is the process I used to learn remotes:
    1. Insert any one of the working keys into the ignition lock and switch to the ON position without starting the engine.
    2. Using any of the remaining keys, manually lock your car from the outside.
    3. Press either LOCK or UNLOCK on the remote (to be programmed) once, then wait 2 seconds.
    4. Press either button again once.
    5. Switch off ignition and remove key from ignition.
    6. You should hear a beep as a confirmation that the programming is completed

Ahh nice one mikk!

Although I couldn't find the remotes (must be blind)? Reckon you could pop a link up?

Users Country Flag
    You guys are brilliant!! I bought a 3-button key (with blank blade) off eBay for about $70 including postage (I was quoted $690 from the nice guys at Barloworld - that included cutting and programming) I had an auto-elec booked for tomorrow morning to programme and cut the key for $260. I just followed the steps above and programmed the bugger myself!! A chirp from the horn, as explained above, then the keys worked to open the doors and boot. I will take myself off to the locksmith on Monday and get the blank blade cut and I'll be set!!

Of course if anyone can tell me how to get the "windows-up" and "Sunroof closed" function to work off the remote the same way it does with the key in the lock I'll be even happier!!

If anyone wants to buy a key from the same place I got it (although you all seem to be smart enough to make them, or get them cheaper than me anyway) the eBay user name was "Key_Service" and he's in London. I just gave him my VIN and he sent me the right key to Melbourne within about a week to 10 days. I think the cost was 28GBP (or just over $70AUD) and the locksmith has quoted me $25 to cut the blank. So for about 1/7 of the price of the thieving dealer I've got exactly the same thing and didn't have to leave the car with them for a day.

Here is the process I used to learn remotes:
    1. Insert any one of the working keys into the ignition lock and switch to the ON position without starting the engine.
    2. Using any of the remaining keys, manually lock your car from the outside.
    3. Press either LOCK or UNLOCK on the remote (to be programmed) once, then wait 2 seconds.
    4. Press either button again once.
    5. Switch off ignition and remove key from ignition.
    6. You should hear a beep as a confirmation that the programming is completed

How do you do step 2 if you only have one key? and that key is in the ignition

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsnap! View Post
    Ahh nice one mikk!

Although I couldn't find the remotes (must be blind)? Reckon you could pop a link up?
    Hey, just saw this. Yes the remotes are in the Transponder Key category on the KeyMam LockSmith Shop | http://www.KeyMam.com site. There's a small Next Page link in text under the Add To Cart buttons. Hard to see!

You will need to know the part number from inside your existing remote to get the right one.

When I worked out that the dealer wanted to charge me as much as what a used engine costs for a few keys, I figured i'd have to look elsewhere.

Hi all

Tried to program some new keys tonight. VAG TACHO connects and sees that Tacho is VDO etc, tries to log in then spits me an ACCESS DENIED!!! error. Tried several times with no differing results.

Any clues?

* * * UPDATE * * *

Turns our mine is a "VDO OLD". Once I chose that it worked like a charm. Old keys deleted (previous owner only gave me 1 key, didn't like a valid key being out there somewhere) existing key reprogrammed and 2 new keys programmed.

Got the keys for $12 from here, they have a tricky LED light in them too...

Locksmith charged $30 each to cut them! (only told me that after they cut the 2 keys) but still at $102 all up its a whole lot cheaper than the dealer for 2 keys

THANKS ALL!
    Last edited by Andy; 24-10-2011 at 10:02 PM. Reason: UPDATE
    Current: 01 Mk4 GTi | Milltek | 18 x 8 CH (Rep) - 09 Hypermotard 1100S

Gone but not forgotten: 01 Monster 900Sie - 01 CV8 - 71 MGB - 99 WRX - 67 MGB - 76 Mk1 LS x 2

hey guys im just about to order the parts for this but my key has a large green chip inside of it and i cant find anything like it for sale on any of the sites listed above... is it one of the transponder chips but just a different style?? thanks in advance guys

---------- Post added 24-11-2011 at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was 23-11-2011 at 06:06 PM ----------

no one can help on this??
    2014 Golf GTI PP - Pure White

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast