Support VWWC

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SUCCESS!: How to make a new key incl. transponder

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie28 View Post
    hey guys im just about to order the parts for this but my key has a large green chip inside of it and i cant find anything like it for sale on any of the sites listed above... is it one of the transponder chips but just a different style?? thanks in advance guys

---------- Post added 24-11-2011 at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was 23-11-2011 at 06:06 PM ----------

no one can help on this??
    perhaps a photo would help

Hey Mikk,

I'm glad i searched this topic and found you!! I've ordered all the gear and waiting on it to arrive.

I will follow your processes and hopefully be in business!! Where about's in Brisbane are you based? Maybe you could show me what I'm doing wrong if it doesn't work or maybe you could do it for me in exchange for a couple of beers?!

Could you please advise where you stick the other end (not the one in the computer) of the Vag Tacho???!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnap! View Post
    I'm putting this guide together since I couldn't find a definitive guide on how to put together a new key for my MKIV Golf GTI and whether it would work at all. I assume it's the same process with all MKIV's as they use the same immo unit and this guide MAY be applicable to other generations as well.

Firstly you'll want to grab an OBDII to USB cable and Vag-Tacho. I bought this cable: NEW Tacho VAG 3.01 Opel Immo Airbag Scanner Reader Fast | eBay

If this link dies, just do a search for 'vag tacho' on ebay.

Next you'll want to get a transponder, I picked one up from user 'automobilelocksmith' on ebay: Transponder Chip ID48 for Volkswagen Remote Key | eBay

The transponder from these guys definitely work but be warned that others have bought transponders elsewhere only to have it not work. I recommend these guys, but if you can grab your hands on a chip for free then go for it and let us know how it goes!

You'll also need to get a key blank, either in the fob style or valet style. I picked up a valet style key from my local locksmith who cut it as well for $60. It's preferable to get one that can house the transponder inside unlike mine.

Now for the fun!

Plug in your cable to your laptop - I used winxp via bootcamp on my macbook.
    Install the driver that comes with the disc, or alternatively download VCDS 10.6 (you can download this for free, it just won't work with your interface cable). At the end it will ask you if you want to install the USB driver, hit yes.

Fire up Vag Tacho, plug in the OBDII end into your car and if all works well, the Vag Tacho program should say something along the lines of "K-Line connected..." in the title bar.

- Select 'VDO NEW' for your ecu under the 'Select ECU' menu option at the top of the screen.
    - Hit 'Connect to Selected ECU'
    - Get the key code
    - Hit program new keys

Now I screwed up a little in this next step rendering my old key and new key temporarily useless. If you make the same mistake as me don't worry, it'll still work.

- Flip your old working key so that the car is on but not running (is this aux or accessories? not a big deal...)

- Bash in your key code that you retrieved earlier.

- Leave the channel on the default 21

- Enter the number of keys you wish to program. You'll want all your old keys as well.

- I chose to delete old keys as i only received one with the car when I purchased it second hand. If you have existing keys ignore this step.

- Hit okay and once Vag Tacho is done with the key, it'll prompt you to disconnect and remove the key. Hit the disconnect button in Vag Tacho and don't just pull the key out. This is where I made my mistake.

- Insert any subsequent keys and leave it on until the immobiliser indicator on your dash turns off.

- VOILA! New keys for a fraction of the cost.

FYI: All up this cost me $60 for the cut blank key, ~$15 for Vag Tacho and the cable and ~$40 for three ID48 chips incl. postage. For each key you're looking at under $80, which is about a 1/6th if you got it from a dealer.

Good luck, and if you have any questions please feel free to ask below. Also if anyone would like me to help them program a new key and you're willing to head out to Penrith NSW, feel free to PM me and i'll see if i can help you out (at your own risk).

There's a piece of trim which comes out underneath the heater/air con controls and above the ashtray, that should slide out and you put it in there
    2014 Golf GTI PP - Pure White

Thanks Cookie, pretty dumb question but i'm only asking as i don't know!!!!

No problem man I had to look it up when I was first figuring it out
    2014 Golf GTI PP - Pure White

Users Country Flag
    So all mk4 golfs/bora's came out with remote locking?

I brought my car over 3 years ago and I never got a remote with it..
    '01 Mk4 Golf GL, Engine swapped to 1.8L GTi motor, Whiteline Swaybars, Nolathane & Pedders Bushes, K&N Oversize Pod Filter, 2 1/2 inch Cat back exhaust

Users Country Flag
    No Clarkee, all don't come with the 'remote' style keys. I found out the hard way. I bought one from the dealer then found out my Comfort Control Module doesn't even support remotes. I've now figured out an easy way to tell.

- k
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

I posted my findings and how to check here (page 428.):
    http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...tml#post749054

Let me know if you have any questions...
    Last edited by kendog; 11-02-2012 at 04:26 PM.
    Dark Grey Mk4 Golf, 1.8T GTI conversion, APR stage 1, stock air intake, FMIC, 3" to 2.5" Exhaust, FK AK Street Coils, Black 18" (Avant Garde M310's ?), tinted tails, ...

I've taken the delivery of my new keys from Keyman on ebay (as previously suggested in this thread) and now need a Vag Tacho to program them correctly.......??

I hope what I've said is correct.......

OK, so my next question is........who in Brisbane would be kind enough to lend me the vag tacho to get it finished?! I have a laptop but not the vag tacho.....

I'm in Wynnum/Manly area, is there anybody who could hep me out??

Be very grateful for any assistance.......

Users Country Flag

OK so I just purchased a pair of blank flip out transponder heads and matching 2 button remotes with chip for my Bora 4Mo, I have a VAG tacho on the way and a single flip out 2 button key that came with the car and a valet key, all things being equal I should be able to program the 2 new keys after I get a locksmith mate to cut them.
    I will take photos and post the results here when I get it done

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast