Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sirocco20348 OEM++ Build Thread

Users Country Flag

Sirocco20348 OEM++ Build Thread

OEM++ Build
    • 2001 Mk4 Golf GTI
    • Engine Code: AGU with m3.8.3 ecu
    • Custom Code Stage 2 AGU K03s flash tune.

Supporting Mods:
    • BorgWarner Ko3s Turbo (Stock actuator 5-6 psi).
    • 3" SPM Down Pipe connected to stock exhaust
    • Front Mount Intercooler Twin-pass 2.5" piping (Only Charged Dubs)
    • VR6 single plate clutch w/ 20KG flywheel
    • APR Turbo Inlet Pipe
    • GFB T9301 Diverter Valve
    • Forge Baffled Sump
    • Whiteline Rear Sway Bar
    • Vibra Technic Race Engine Mounts
    • SuperPro Poly Strut Top mounts
    • SuperPro Dog bone 85a Bushes
    • Billet injector cups

Suspension:
    • Bilstein B6 struts
    • Shine SRS Real Street springs

Brakes:
    • 312mm DBA T3's
    • QFM A1RM Brake Pads

Fuelling:
    • Deatschwerks DW65V Fuel Pump
    • Bosch 4 bar Fuel Pressure Regulator
    • New Bosch 0280150464 injectors.

What is lying around waiting to go in:
    • 256mm vented rotors with r32 rear calipers
    • Seat Cupra R rear axle beam bushes
    • Audi TT Control Arms
    • Audi TT Spindles
    • Audi TT Steering Rack
    • Semi solid subframe mounts

2010-2015
    I bought the car in stock form with the idea of making it a daily drive that I would take to the track every now and again. Living in Canberra I took the car to Wakefield Raceway a number of times. The first fastest lap time I achieved was 1:20 (which is crap) but reflecting back I was quite happy with the time because the car had boost leaks which I didn’t know about and the only 'mod' was a stage 1 K03 tune.

This track day was the start of a slippery slope of mods. I have spent countless hours reading legendary threads on VWwatercooled, UK-MKIVS, and VWVortex with Pyce, Ceilidh, SRSVW on how to transform the Mk4 into a capable car. I found it fascinating how VW and Audi made such critical differences (Turbo, fuelling, geometry) between the GTI, R32, S3, TT to give the latter cars a clear advantage in terms of power and handling. It was clear that the AGU Mk4 GTI was not very desirable in stock firm.

It has always been frustrating for me to read/listen to reviewers complain about the Mk4 GTI. After owning this car for 9 years now, the small differences that could have been made to the MK4 by VW from factory, could have been the difference between the Mk4 being regarded as the worst GTI in history to something with great praise in the Golf GTI Legacy. So here lies within what I have attempted to create, the Mk4 Golf that should have been. OEM++

My last time at Wakefield before I left Canberra I had the Stage 1 K03 tune, suspension, brakes, rear sway and APR TIP and managed to get a 1:17 time. A few thousand dollars for 3 seconds, what a great feeling. I'm sure if the car was given to someone who knew how to drive the track the times would be better.

2015-2017
    After that I moved to Brisbane, life got in the way, the golf was going through the failure rate of parts around the 200k mark. I still managed to get to the happy laps sessions every once in a while but every time I attended, something bad would happen. Like the demise of my stock K03 turbo.

I bounced back with a K03s turbo, 3" dump, front mount, stage 2 Custom Code tune. I started to see the potential of the MK4 GTI with the K03s turbo.

I attended a Porsche Club Day at Morgan Park, which is the best driving experience I have had with the car. It ran perfectly. I’ve lost the time sheets, but in my category I wasn’t that far behind some Porsche Boxster’s and I was battling a R33 GTST the majority of the time.

Since then I have been stock piling Audi TT parts to further improve the geometry of the car, but I need to upgrade my front struts to Audi TT variants because of the difference in sway bar end link connections. I have been in 2 minds whether to just get another set of B6 struts or replace with coilovers which is going away from what I was first trying to achieve.

Lately, I finished replacing/upgrading every bit of the cars fuelling to sort out various performance problems.

I had the Vibra Technics road engine mounts installed last week, which I think has been one of the most dramatic upgrades I have had while owning the car. I underestimated how much the engine moves when cornering with stock OEM mounts.

And I WILL have the Audi TT gear installed by the end of the year, which will allow for camber etc.

I am tired of typing, but thought I would get a dedicated thread going.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sirocco20348 OEM++ Build Thread-1085060_10153120214365297_631340343_o-jpg   Sirocco20348 OEM++ Build Thread-704831_10152433130820297_1369096903_o-jpg  

Sirocco20348 OEM++ Build Thread-256569_10152424348895297_1667369597_o-jpg   Sirocco20348 OEM++ Build Thread-turbo2-jpg  

Sirocco20348 OEM++ Build Thread-turbo1-jpg   Sirocco20348 OEM++ Build Thread-20170722_104456-jpg  

Sirocco20348 OEM++ Build Thread-img-20161204-wa0000-jpg   Sirocco20348 OEM++ Build Thread-tapatalk_jpeg_1480469418556-jpg  

Sirocco20348 OEM++ Build Thread-vibra-tech-neu-32-jpg  
    Last edited by Sirocco20348; 16-08-2019 at 06:42 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Always see juicy posts from you but never got the full picture of what you drove or were trying to achieve.
    So glad you've put this together mate look forward to seeing more MK4 action!
    2004 VW Bora 4motion | 3.2 Swapped - R32 Trimmings | BBS CH | Forever fixing this bitch

As above. Always see the posts and wonder what's happening in the background. Keen to see more progress and documentation of the build!

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks guys.

Consolidating some more photos from other threads.

Phenix Engineering Billet Injector Cups installed due to boost leaks from stock plastic cups.

Happy Laps @ Lakeside

Last edited by Sirocco20348; 16-08-2019 at 05:05 PM.

I somehow found some spare time today, so I located the Audi TT post recall arms in the garage and started wire brushing them.

Pre and post wire brush..

I think I might get a mechanical wire brush onto them to make the machined mounting points perfect...

Last edited by Sirocco20348; 16-08-2019 at 06:43 PM.

Do your arms have the mount of the sway bar or need to tap it?

Quote Originally Posted by dylan8 View Post
    Do your arms have the mount of the sway bar or need to tap it?
    Yes these arms would need to be tapped in order to use the stock MK4 sway. But the whole tapping situation seems... Sketchy

1. It's cast iron metal, not sure if it weakens that area of the arm after being tapped.
    2. The depth of the bolt of the stamped metal arms cannot be achieved on the cast variant.
    3. The bolt has to be trimmed by the looks of things to make it work.

I'm unsure how much force is applied to the end of a sway bar but the last thing I want to happen is it to crack from hard cornering at the limit.

I have the entire front suspension from an audi tt so I will be using the thinner sway bar and utilising the drop link attachment points on a new set of struts. No need for tapping and no need to worry.

Users Country Flag
    I’ve done the TT conversion into my Bora 4m .....
    you nee the hub carriers as well and for tracking the car I’d suggest you get coil overs as your strut replacements.
    Get 4motion/R32 struts with the sway bar mounts.
    When I put mine in without adjusting the spring platforms the difference in the hub height raised the car an inch and a half ....
    Easy fix just adjusted the coil overs and reset the height.
    The bottom ball joint is bespoke to the Audi arms/hubs and the steering tie rods just need to be turned through 180deg and they bolt up.
    I used poly bushes throughout - the rears were easy as they are available. The front bushes were matched by diameter and then trimmed in length to fit.
    I also use Kmac adjustable top mounts for camber and castor adjustment.
    For springs - I have a heavier engine/box combination than you - I have 12kg coils which have eliminated 95% of my bottoming issues.
    The poly bushes transmit slightly more road noise/vibration but the whole setup allows the suspension to sit at optimal angles when the car is lowered .... I can get up to 4deg neg camber ... 1.5 is where it’s at now ....
    if I can help in any way please ask !!
    fyi the Bora did a 1,15 at Wakefield on Rs3s .... my bugeye Wrx is at 1.08 ....

Quote Originally Posted by LeStig View Post
    ....I’d suggest you get coil overs as your strut replacements.
    Get 4motion/R32 struts with the sway bar mounts.
    When I put mine in without adjusting the spring platforms the difference in the hub height raised the car an inch and a half ....
    Easy fix just adjusted the coil overs and reset the height....
    Thanks! I have the whole TT setup, hubs, control arms, steering rack....but your putting a spanner in my works with the 1.5" raise at the front!!....WWHATTT!

What causes that exactly? I see the hubs have the lower ball joint position but are the strut dimensions different aswell? I was hopefully going to retain most of my suspension but swap over to the equivalent Bilstein Audi tt struts that I have.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast