Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABS Bleed

Users Country Flag

ABS Bleed

I'm having issues with my brakes. The brake pedal has no pressure once the car is running. I have bled all brake lines and the master cylinder however this has not fixed it.

The brake booster hose is also fine, there was a few splits but it has been repaired and there aren't any vacuum leaks from that line. The only thing I've found from other people who faced the same issue was that an ABS bleed fixed the issue.

I've tried bleeding the ABS, however VCDS never prompts me to open the caliper screw. It keeps repeating the steps of pressing the brake pedal 10x times over and over with the caliper screw closed.

Any help would be great as it is the last issue I'm facing right now.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ybkopa View Post
    I'm having issues with my brakes. The brake pedal has no pressure once the car is running. I have bled all brake lines and the master cylinder however this has not fixed it.

The brake booster hose is also fine, there was a few splits but it has been repaired and there aren't any vacuum leaks from that line. The only thing I've found from other people who faced the same issue was that an ABS bleed fixed the issue.

I've tried bleeding the ABS, however VCDS never prompts me to open the caliper screw. It keeps repeating the steps of pressing the brake pedal 10x times over and over with the caliper screw closed.

Any help would be great as it is the last issue I'm facing right now.
    Have you bled the master cylinder screws.

Sounds like you are carrying out the output test for the abs, not a bleed procedure

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    Have you bled the master cylinder screws.

Sounds like you are carrying out the output test for the abs, not a bleed procedure
    Yep, I have bled both screws on the MC.

Regarding the ABS bleed, I'm in the ABS module and going into Basic Settings -> Group 1.

Users Country Flag
    VWs method is to use a power bleeder, which makes the job much easier but the tool can be expensive $100-$200, and if you only doing it once, it's probably not worth it.

Try this with VCDS, it's a two-person job btw.

Select 03 ABS-Brake
    Click on "04-Basic settings".
    Select "Group 001" and press "GO".
    Press down the brake pedal hard.
    The ABS pump should automatically activate.
    Open the bleed screw furthest from the master first.
    Then click on "next".
    The ABS pump will activate again.
    Pump the brakes till no air bubbles remain.
    Close the bleed screw.
    Do not click on "next"; otherwise, the process restart
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Users Country Flag
    2004 VW Bora 4motion | 3.2 Swapped - R32 Trimmings | BBS CH | Forever fixing this bitch

Users Country Flag
    Great video on the brake bleed procedure
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by MIG View Post
    VWs method is to use a power bleeder, which makes the job much easier but the tool can be expensive $100-$200, and if you only doing it once, it's probably not worth it.

Try this with VCDS, it's a two-person job btw.

Select 03 ABS-Brake
    Click on "04-Basic settings".
    Select "Group 001" and press "GO".
    Press down the brake pedal hard.
    The ABS pump should automatically activate.
    Open the bleed screw furthest from the master first.
    Then click on "next".
    The ABS pump will activate again.
    Pump the brakes till no air bubbles remain.
    Close the bleed screw.
    Do not click on "next"; otherwise, the process restart
    I'm using a pressure bleeder, however that hasn't helped much.
    I'm pressing on the brake pedal at full force and the ABS pump does not activate.

I've watched Ian's video multiple times and VCDS will never prompt me to open the bleed screws like his one does.

Not sure if this was a good idea or not but I've just gone through an output test for the ABS and I've bled the MC screws whilst it was running. I got quite a lot of air out, started the car again and I'm still having the same issue.

The RPMS are also increasing and decreasing when pressing the brake pedal. I've taken the brake booster line off and smoke tested it. There are no leaks. I've also blown through the check valve and it's working as intended...

From my research, people fixed this issue when they bled their ABS but it isn't working for me :/

Users Country Flag
    I wonder if the master is not building pressure to trigger the bleed cycle, did this issue just happen out of the blue, or did you change parts first?

Check the messuring blocks and see what pressure the system is building when you press the brake pedal.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MIG View Post
    I wonder if the master is not building pressure to trigger the bleed cycle, did this issue just happen out of the blue, or did you change parts first?

Check the messuring blocks and see what pressure the system is building when you press the brake pedal.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    I did remove all 4 calipers for them to get painted. I also upgraded the rear calipers. However, I did clamp the lines before removing them so there wasn't that much fluid loss.

I'll look into the measuring blocks tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Hopefully all I need is a new MC and I can start driving this car again..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast