Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Simon's 4-Motion Bora VR6

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dyldo View Post
    Gimme a sec while I zip up my flamesuit.... ok, now that i have that on, if you are a speed freak I'd suggest that for outright speed and HP a turbo or Twin-turbo set-up will always beat a supercharger. Ofcourse, the difference is what you want and the way you want to drive.
    Ahh but he is on his P's, no turbo for this Bora for a while.

Nice car! Does look good in white.

Adam
    2012 Subaru WRX STi Spec-R in "Lightening Red" because red cars are the fastest!!
    Previously -
    2007 EOS 2.0 TFSI Indium Grey ~ Photos Here
    2002 Bora V5

Users Country Flag
    Well, if only I could have been so lucky to have a mint Bora as my P's car!!!! In that case, keep great care of her and slowly add things over time for comfort and handling, then braking, then save for when you want to go down the forced induction route.
    MY02 Bora V6 4Mo|Matte Black plastidip|VTDA|R32 Exhaust|R32 dampers and springs|TT pedals|R32 steering wheel|17" 8L S3 rims|R32 sways|Blue Haldex|EBC reds

I couldn't get a supercharger either untill I'm off my Ps anyway.
    I get my full license in August so not that far away. Prob wont do much to it for now as I dont really wanna void the 3 year dealer warranty that I got with it.

Users Country Flag
    These two youtubes just changed everything for me, and i have made my choice. Turbo ftw!

wtf is a supercharger?
    YouTube - vr6 turbo 24v 15 psi
    and
    YouTube - Induktion Motorsports 24v VR6 Turbo
    MY02 Bora V6 4Mo|Matte Black plastidip|VTDA|R32 Exhaust|R32 dampers and springs|TT pedals|R32 steering wheel|17" 8L S3 rims|R32 sways|Blue Haldex|EBC reds

Users Country Flag
    Nice an clean...very clean.
    R36 > MK5 2006 1.9 TDI > MK4 2003 1.6 Generation > MK3 1995 2.8 VR6 > MK2 1990 1.6 > MK1 1982 1.8 GTI

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyldo View Post
    These two youtubes just changed everything for me, and i have made my choice. Turbo ftw!
    Yeah, I've been leaning towards turbo myself...
    Nothing to see here...

Users Country Flag
    Welcome aboard

I too have been doing my research on turbo vs supercharger.
    Best 2 options are the rotrex supercharger kits, and the C2/Kinetic turbo kits, there seems to be a few reliability issues with the VF kits....

Rotrex is good because it puts less strain on cooling, and theres no permanent mods required ( oil feed holes etc), so installation will be easier.
    But you dont the big midrange shove you get from the turbo, boost rises in line with revs, so you get peak power at high revs.

Turbo kits are great, but make a lot of heat and will require a fair bit more work to get installed. Advantage is if you want more power you can build the motor and wind the boost up!

Key for either is engine management, which si the #1 thing stopping me from doing it. Not sure if you have anyone who can realtime tune your ECU to suit, but we dont have anyone over here, so I need to look at about $4-5k for a decent standalone setup.
    Current: '04 Astra SRI Turbo - EDS IPF Flash, 3" TBE, Quaife LSD
    Previously: Bora 4mo, cams, coilovers, tune, exhaust, brembo's etc

Nice pickup, reminds me of when i got my 4mo, about the same k'm and condition

Re Turbo vs supercharger, its something i went into great detail a few years back. I even bought about 70% of the gear i needed, manifold, turbo, wastegate, intercooler, oil lines etc etc etc. Superchargers seem to be the easier option, less modifications, less custom work and easier to install / remove however they are definitely not as capable of big power and as such many of the VW vortex guys who started with superchargers have moved to Turbo!

For going turbo in Aus the sticking point i found for us here in was that practically nobody could remap the Motronic M7.1 (i think) ecu, well at least where i am in Adelaide. After lenghtly discussions with Jeff at C2 motorsports we pretty much came to the conclusion that they *might* be able to remap my ecu however he couldn't then guarantee sucess because of potential differences specific to our region. I had sent them details of my ecu, part numbers etc and they confirmed they'd never come accross the exact one in the AU 4motion before. Add to that the complexities of shipping an ECU to the states and back and then potentially having to do it several times if it didn't all work out first go unfortunately made that a not so viable option.

So from there the only real viable option was a Standalone ECU from 034 Motorsports but after pricing the ECU, adding the Drive By Cable requirement costs increased a huge amount and then you potentially loose cruise control, traction control etc etc... no thanks

At that point i gave up sold my gear and bought a R32 GTR and spent a stupid amount of money on that instead!

However GTR's gone now (living o/s atm) and when i get back i'm going to re-look into bolt on turbo as i know of a few tuners in SA who claim they can remap the bora's ecu! Yippie!

Moral of the story, if somebody can tune it in your state then DO IT If not, the road will be a difficult one. Also dont forget some components of turbo kits from the states likely wont fit due to the RHD / LHD differences but nothing that customwork here wont fix!

Lonewolf, you also on PGA?

Thanks guys,
    some good opinions and info there.
    That Induktion Motorsport Jetta is pretty insane! lol

Users Country Flag

damn it man i want a 4 mo v6 bora!!!

heres some inspiration:

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast