Support VWWC

Thread: Retrofit 2.8 BDE loom into 3.6 BWS loom = ?

Users Country Flag

Lightbulb Retrofit 2.8 BDE loom into 3.6 BWS loom = ?

Here is a project that has been a long time coming and I hope it is a fruitful venture. I'm sure there will be many perils and pitfalls along the way but, if you know me, i find that that is the part that once overcome, is the most rewarding.

Here we go...

I've spent hours in mapping things out and there is only so much theory you can do before it becomes pointless and you just have to physically start the job where things actually start making sense.

Here are some progress pics, which is just going to look like a bunch of wires to most people but, fingers crossed, the project comes together nicely.

LEFT: is a significant chunk of the 3.6 loom
    RIGHT: don't need it so it goes in the spare parts box to leave me with the integral 3.6 sensors
    Retrofit 2.8 BDE loom into 3.6 BWS loom = ?-img_1456-jpgRetrofit 2.8 BDE loom into 3.6 BWS loom = ?-img_1457-jpg

Now comes the fun part - labelling everything. These are all of the wires originating from the 3.6 loom - lots going on but this simplifies it for me.
    Retrofit 2.8 BDE loom into 3.6 BWS loom = ?-img_1545-jpgRetrofit 2.8 BDE loom into 3.6 BWS loom = ?-img_1544-jpgRetrofit 2.8 BDE loom into 3.6 BWS loom = ?-img_1542-jpgRetrofit 2.8 BDE loom into 3.6 BWS loom = ?-img_1460-jpgRetrofit 2.8 BDE loom into 3.6 BWS loom = ?-img_1458-jpg

You can clearly see the BWS on the left and BDE (with the plenum chamber plugs) on the right.
    Retrofit 2.8 BDE loom into 3.6 BWS loom = ?-img_1459-jpg

LEFT: As I find the equivalent wire in the 2.8 loom, the label comes off and is filed away
    RIGHT: I'm trying to keep things as neat as possible so some wires from the 3.6 need to be spliced into the wires that join the body loom to the interior loom. In the BWS these wires all run straight through the firewall without a useful interconnect like on the BDE.
    Retrofit 2.8 BDE loom into 3.6 BWS loom = ?-img_1568-jpgRetrofit 2.8 BDE loom into 3.6 BWS loom = ?-04448be8-f000-4f4b-a987-c0109ab20757-jpg

That's it so far. Will be working on this remotely with the owner till i get myself back to NSW. For now... watch this space

Users Country Flag
    This is SOO good!
    So the plan - MK4 platform vehicle, running 3.6 engine.

So this is for the engine loom that will plug into the MK4 ECU, right?
    The MK4 body loom, I assume will remain the same?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by beale187 View Post
    This is SOO good!
    So the plan - MK4 platform vehicle, running 3.6 engine.

So this is for the engine loom that will plug into the MK4 ECU, right?
    The MK4 body loom, I assume will remain the same?
    Yeah this is the plan. I've kept most of the mk4 loom in tact and the plan is to have it "look" as integrated a possible.

The loom is going to be converted to plug into an R36 ECU.

Bora3.6 coming soon

More progress and wire tidy

More progress pics. There's a lot of referencing and cross checking to empty out the ME7.1.1 ECU and find a new home for the wires within the R36 loom.

Retrofit 2.8 BDE loom into 3.6 BWS loom = ?-img_1598-jpg

BELOW: More wires have been spliced out from the Bora loom into the R36 loom. It's slow going but I feel i'm being as thorough as possible.
    Retrofit 2.8 BDE loom into 3.6 BWS loom = ?-img_1568-jpg

BELOW:The body harness interfaces at these plugs in the Bora but there is no plug interface in the R36. I've got to bring in some signals to go to various in cabin components - here i re-use the plenum chamber plugs.
    Retrofit 2.8 BDE loom into 3.6 BWS loom = ?-img_1627-jpg

BELOW LEFT: Excess wires have been bundled for reference and the rest of the loom tidied. Pictured are the plenum chamber plugs (a.k.a. chassis/body loom), ECU plug and post-cat O2's
    BELOW RIGHT: Pre-cat O2's, MAF, Bora relays adapted to this setup, extra wires to go into 14 pin plug, reverse and starter switch plugs.
    Retrofit 2.8 BDE loom into 3.6 BWS loom = ?-img_1735-jpgRetrofit 2.8 BDE loom into 3.6 BWS loom = ?-img_1736-jpg

Users Country Flag
    Doing god's work right there Ian, look forward to seeing more!
    2004 VW Bora 4motion | 3.2 Swapped - R32 Trimmings | BBS CH | Forever fixing this bitch

Thanks Mr. B. I look forward to getting some testing happening once i'm back in Corona-land.

R36 FPCM, 14 pin engine bay plug and R36 accelerator all mapped out.
    Retrofit 2.8 BDE loom into 3.6 BWS loom = ?-3a2eb713-3b6d-4aca-9550-d78658ba4f23-jpg

Everything in this box plus engine and all it’s sensors should be everything required.
    Retrofit 2.8 BDE loom into 3.6 BWS loom = ?-image-jpg

Next step is to lay everything into the Bora then solder everything up.