Support VWWC

Thread: r32 flood damage.

Users Country Flag

r32 flood damage.

hi everyone. i own my r32(number 187) only since november last year. the car was in a perfect running order. no single issue was found.
    However, around 1 am this morning when I was driving a mate home. And just on parramatta road i hit some very heavy rain and road started to flood. I did not realise how bad the situation was i could bearly see through my windscreen. Then we went into some very deep water and the the engine ceased, unfortunately. The car stuck in the water that was about 50cm deep for 10mins. The car has now been towed to a safe location. I know its a very dumb thing to do but i did attempt to restart the engine in panic.
    Now i need help on where to get the car fixed. Ive been told it might need a engine swap. If so is there any possibility to find another vr6 engine?
    Another very dumb thing i did is that the car was not insured because i was overseas for 4 months and it just sat in the garage for the whole time.
    I feel very sorry for what i did to my car and im still in bit of shock. I appreciate your help guys!

Users Country Flag

Thumbs down

get your wallet out!

Users Country Flag
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune ... Broken R's make me especially sad as there were only 200 delivered to Aus to begin with

Need some Sydney dubbers to chime in but this thread has a list of repairers:

Recommended repairers and parts suppliers suggestion thread

Users Country Flag
    As long as it wasn't deeper than the air intake, you should be fine, or brakes that could "warp" if they're hot when you hit the puddle. Usually hydro-lock occurs almost immediately. the symptoms range from sputtering and dying, misfires, engine codes, all the way to engine failure. It must have been a bloody deep puddle!

What makes you think the engine has ceased?

Is be pulling the airbox apart and seeing if there's water in there.

If not then you probably have a different problem