Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mk4 GTI fuel consumption??

Users Country Flag

Shell used to have a 100RON product called Optimax Extreme, then it changed name to V-Power Racing or some such. It had 5% ethanol. Only a few servos had it, Coronation Drive had it and was my local for many years.

The United and other independents have a 100RON, they have rammed in 10% ethanol, which pushes the RON up but lowers fuel effifiency.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Revival,sooo did some measuring and got 90km/10L (180km/20L) bit higher than i was hoping but i guess i do 50km a day in an hour and a half of driving - stop/start with air con on not thrashing it but driving it how a gti should be driven-does this sound about right? might change my fuel filter,temp sensor and spark plugs just cause..

Users Country Flag
    We have already stated what you should be getting. Set your trip computer and run the tank til the low fuel light comes on.... This I think means 5L left. Add an assumed 50km on to you trip and then tell us your figures.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmslwthr View Post
    Revival,sooo did some measuring and got 90km/10L (180km/20L) bit higher than i was hoping but i guess i do 50km a day in an hour and a half of driving - stop/start with air con on not thrashing it but driving it how a gti should be driven-does this sound about right? might change my fuel filter,temp sensor and spark plugs just cause..
    Waste of money on parts if there's no proven defect.

The fuel filter was probably never changed but I have only seen them make a difference on high output cars.
    The temp sensor can be checked with VCDS, make sure it goes up from cold, with the gauge.
    Plugs I doubt that will do anything either, unless you have a misfire when giving it a bootful.

The numbers you have indicated would take you about 500km on a tank, which is 10l/100 ish. Through traffic, I don't see you doing better tbh.

An indication of how good it is on fuel on the highway, would tell you much more about how well it is running.

Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by Sirocco20348 View Post
    We have already stated what you should be getting. Set your trip computer and run the tank til the low fuel light comes on.... This I think means 5L left. Add an assumed 50km on to you trip and then tell us your figures.

as i stated my figures are above :\ thanks for the input though.

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    Waste of money on parts if there's no proven defect.

The fuel filter was probably never changed but I have only seen them make a difference on high output cars.
    The temp sensor can be checked with VCDS, make sure it goes up from cold, with the gauge.
    Plugs I doubt that will do anything either, unless you have a misfire when giving it a bootful.

The numbers you have indicated would take you about 500km on a tank, which is 10l/100 ish. Through traffic, I don't see you doing better tbh.

An indication of how good it is on fuel on the highway, would tell you much more about how well it is running.

Gavin
    its about to hit 160 so its up for a service.Fuel Filter has been changed several times,need to double check service book but i know it hasnt had new fuel filter or plugs in some time,changing these parts can only be beneficial. i wanted to know a rough figure on what i should be expecting per100km as i thought it was a bit higher than it should be but my question has been answered.

Referring to the original post-how high up the L/per hour would go up on take off (up to 70L/hr on a hill start :S) didnt seem right??

Users Country Flag
    I would do a decent smoke test to identify boost leaks. Apart from that fuel filter won't do jack all difference, new plugs probably won't either if its not doing anything abnormally.

Users Country Flag
    The on takeoff figure is always crazy, my cx5 says I do 80l/hr on takeoff

Quote Originally Posted by Sirocco20348 View Post
    The on takeoff figure is always crazy, my cx5 says I do 80l/hr on takeoff

Thank you!!! That's what I wanted/needed to know!👌👌👌

Close thread

Users Country Flag

Just did a test from the lights, I actually watched the numbers instead of the road. It hit 99.9 those numbers are crap.

Your 20litres for 180km is 11.1litres/100km
    If you are driving in stop start queuing 1st gear, 2nd gear, 1st gear - expect huge numbers.
    Having a look at my history on fuelly 13l/100km is the worst, some 12.6 and a 12.3.

As others have stated you do need to drive a whole tank to get a better idea.
    Check your tyre pressures.
    Fill up the tank until it clicks once, note the odometer reading.
    Drive 400km or more fill up the tank again, note the odometer and litres used.

My real numbers for a chipped GTI (I'm not a nice driver).
    Highway 7.6
    Urban mix stop start + few KM on the expressway 9.2.
    Slow ****ty city 12-13

I replaced spark plugs a while back and only noticed more power but no change to fuel consumption on city driving.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12