Thread: MK4 Golf Door Lock Failures- Parts Options?

Users Country Flag

MK4 Golf Door Lock Failures- Parts Options?

So I have been struck with the infamous MK4 Golf door lock actuator failures twice in the space of 4 weeks- firstly right rear door (which I didn't fix immediately as I hardly ever use it) and now drivers front which is a bit more important!

I have replaced these before and know what a PITA they are to replace, so will be saving on labour doing it myself.

In terms of replacement parts, my options seem to be either genuine VW at around $300ea or Chinese Ebay specials for much, much less.

I have quite frankly already tipped way too much time and money into this car so am looking at the Ebay options. Has anyone used these before and what were the results? Looking for some real life experience with these, not just a "you get what you pay for" mantra. It's not like the VW part is a quality item in the first place.

Thanks.

Users Country Flag
    Ebay $30-50. I have not had any issues with them.
    Did all 4 on my Mk4, and so far 3 on the Mk5.

Have you had the windows fall to the floor yet ? If not get the clips or the kit and do when you do the locks.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Happy to hear the Ebay parts are working out for you, that's the feedback I was looking for. Windows still attached but good advice on the clips, will order those as well. Cheers.

Users Country Flag

The door lock actuators come in a few varieties. The newer model numbers are much quieter than the old ones. In general the cheapies use the new design these days, but I've got caught out and bought the scary loud old design before.