Thread: Mk4 2.0L Engine Stopping - ECU Fault

Users Country Flag

Mk4 2.0L Engine Stopping - ECU Fault

Hey Fans,

I purchased a MK4 for my son and it has been great until the engine just quits . It will start again when cooled a little . drive for a bit , then stop again . I plugged in handy dandy code reader expecting crank angle sensor or coil pack and it reported no faults . However , we trouble shooted on the weekend by letting it idle until it quit , then plugged the reader in . It could not communicate with the computer . After 10 mins , communications were re-established and the engine would start again.

After consulting the Google Gods , it seems that the ECU may be faulty ( random engine stops and inability to connect a reader when this happens ) .

Any input here for MK4 owners ?

Also purchased VAG-TAcho from ebay , but it will not connect to the cable and software had virus.

Any recent recommendations for a VAGTACHO , as I know ill have to re-programm the IMMO if I need to swap the ECU.

Or... Am I up for $299 US for the Rosstech unit ?

Cheers

MK4Dad

Users Country Flag
    PM IanGPonzaga on here, he'll be able to give you a hand with any programming.
    2004 VW Bora 4motion | 3.2 Swapped - R32 Trimmings | BBS CH | Forever fixing this bitch

Users Country Flag
    Have you had any luck mk4dad?

My GTI has the same issue and a genuine new ECU + labour is getting close to 50% of the value of the car.

Users Country Flag

It’s alive! (?!?)

I might have fixed the issue with my GTI. I bought a used ECU and physically transferred the immobiliser chip.

The car has been idling for about an hour since and seems fine. No error codes and no stalling.